Leeds Rhinos in talks over surprise swoop for Bradford’s Rhys Evans

4 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

Can’t believe he’s only 27! Did he get his birth certificate from the same place Stanley Gene did?

As I said , if he can remain fit to play , he's suffered with injury unfortunately , played on Loan at Leigh when he 1 st signed for Wire 

An experienced backup player in the backs does seem to be a bit of a hole in the squad that this signing fills. I still don't understand why we let Jimmy Keinhorst leave to be honest if we were going to make this signing.

17 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Always thought he was a good player and I was surprised when he dropped out of SL.

Will want to prove people wrong so could be a very good signing for Leeds.

Hope he goes well.

He moved to Leigh ( he was on loan for his 1 st year after signing for Wire ,) after we got relegated on essentially SL contract , but played 2 games , I think before getting injured , then when it all went pear shaped he was at the centre of our contract ' culling ' , it wasn't nice , I do hope he gets another chance 

1 hour ago, scotchy1 said:

Expect to see more of this type of signing by SL clubs as the reserves need filling out. 

Doubt he will get much game time behind Handley, the Briscoes, and Sutcliffe though 

Yes. The use of the word "swoop" in the headline is a new definition for me!

Mixed feelings on this one.  Evans is a decent player at Champ level, better in defence than attack, works his nuts off every game.  So a little sorry to lose him.  But he does get injured and if he's a big earner on our payroll then there's a benefit there.  Squad wise we're a little short of numbers so more bodies coming is good, BUT, what we don't want are kids from another club that can't hack it straight away.  We've got our own latest set of academy players that look terrific, so they must get priority.  Good news is that they would come on loan not DR, so there's minimum periods and we won't be obligated to play them.

The club is in a very bad state and the fans need something to be proud of, something to invest in.  For the last few seasons that's been seeing the kids come through (before getting picked off).  They should take note that whilst a player like Evans leaving is understandable, further sales of our top emerging talent for peanuts is not acceptable.  

Forever in our shadow, forever on your mind.

2 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

Expect to see more of this type of signing by SL clubs as the reserves need filling out. 

Doubt he will get much game time behind Handley, the Briscoes, and Sutcliffe though 

Nothing to do with reserves being filled out - Leeds are sending a couple of academy/reserves players to Bradford. 

Evans is a better option than Luke Briscoe and Leeds are lacking in the 3/4s with Alex Sutcliffe seemingly destined to play 2nd row, with Ferres and Trout having departed

19 minutes ago, Konkrete said:

Mixed feelings on this one.  Evans is a decent player at Champ level, better in defence than attack, works his nuts off every game.  So a little sorry to lose him.  But he does get injured and if he's a big earner on our payroll then there's a benefit there.  Squad wise we're a little short of numbers so more bodies coming is good, BUT, what we don't want are kids from another club that can't hack it straight away.  We've got our own latest set of academy players that look terrific, so they must get priority.  Good news is that they would come on loan not DR, so there's minimum periods and we won't be obligated to play them.

The club is in a very bad state and the fans need something to be proud of, something to invest in.  For the last few seasons that's been seeing the kids come through (before getting picked off).  They should take note that whilst a player like Evans leaving is understandable, further sales of our top emerging talent for peanuts is not acceptable.  

Holroyd and Walters who are rumoured to be going the other way to Bradford are definitely of the standard who could hack it straight away in Championship 

1 hour ago, DoubleD said:

Nothing to do with reserves being filled out - Leeds are sending a couple of academy/reserves players to Bradford. 

Evans is a better option than Luke Briscoe and Leeds are lacking in the 3/4s with Alex Sutcliffe seemingly destined to play 2nd row, with Ferres and Trout having departed

Basically my reading of it. Beyond Luke Briscoe, we're short of clear cover for the back five over than an inexperienced Alex Sutcliffe or trying to shoe-horn Liam Sutcliffe into whatever position need filling. Evans is no world beater, but he's a cheap way of bringing experience into that backline when it's needed. 

31 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Whatever position in the depth chart he gets to, it still pushes someone in to the reserves.

Evan's is nowhere near first choice and barring some kind of terrible injury crisis will play pretty much all season in the reserves.

I highly doubt we would have signed him without the reserves as there just isnt enough game time for him available. And for the 5 games or so he might need to fill in we do have cover in other positions and the youth teams. 

Not on the wing we don’t. Tom Briscoe is injured so it will either be Luke, Newman or Evans starting on the wing. Luke Briscoe and Evans are of similar quality - Evans is the better defender, Luke Briscoe the better attacker but overall I think Evans is the better player. 

They played Newman on the wing on Boxing Day so Evans might be lined up to shore up the defence in centre or back up to Liam Sutcliffe who may get the starting berth. 

Broadbent is the back up centre but will probably play in reserves, DR or loan now as they must think he’s not quite ready for SL. Great prospect though 

7 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

We have the cover of moving newman out there, of playing Sutcliffe in the centre, of broadbent and Stephens to step up.

That's on top Luke Briscoe as a player of similar quality and and Tom will.be first choice when he comes back. 

4th choice winger wont be expected to play many games Nyway. Without a reserves Evan's would have nowhere to play for most of.the year and we would go with what we have really.

Evans has been picked up as he’s better quality than what we have in reserve. Stephens is some way off the first team, he’s probably a full back anyway but I can’t see him getting in even if Walker is out - they’d play Liam Sutcliffe there probably.

They haven’t picked up Evans to pad out the reserves, we have plenty of players for that  

3 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

And yet the chances of him playing much first team RL are low and dependent on injuries. He is a reserve quality player who will play the majority, if not all, of the season in the reserves and is a player who if we didnt have reserves we likely wouldn't have signed.

I don't think its controversial to say he is a reserve player signed primarily to play in the reserves. I dont think anyone expects him to play much in the first team

You stated he was signed to fill out the reserves, which isn’t true. 2 of our reserve players are going in the other direction.

He’s signed because we lack strength in the 3/4s. He would’ve been signed regardless of if we had reserves or not. Just like Luke Briscoe was last year 

4 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

Evan's is nowhere near first choice and barring some kind of terrible injury crisis will play pretty much all season in the reserves.

I highly doubt we would have signed him without the reserves as there just isnt enough game time for him available. And for the 5 games or so he might need to fill in we do have cover in other positions and the youth teams. 

Not sure about 'nowhere near'. He won't be first choice for sure (I'm sure he realises that) but looking at your 2020 squad numbers, if a couple out of Briscoe, Briscoe, Hurrell, Handley, Newman or Sutcliffe get injured - which is perfectly feasible - then who else gets picked?

I seem to recall similar comments being made last year about how James Donaldson wasn't ever going to be getting selected, and he ended up playing 25 games last season.

Archived