Report finds rugby league supporters the booziest in the UK

Dont think this is a huge surprise - I am surprised they lumped RL & RU into just the "Rugby" category, so it isn't "Rugby League supporters" that have been branded, it is all "Rugby" supporters.

Surprised that football only just comes below Rugby seeing as how they ban alcohol in the stands at most of their grounds.

3 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Misleading title. Article states it’s rugby, not specifically rugby league. 

Possible to read it both ways - as someone who does this sort of thing for a living that report says "combined in the results" which *does not* mean combined in the raw data. So without seeing the data tables it looks like either of:

- wrong headline

- right headline but without the right data split in the article

"Beer was found to be the most popular beverage within the game."

Well, I am glad that the research unearthed this insight, I never would have guessed!

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

82% of Rugby fans consume 4 drinks (presume that's pints) an hour, so 8 pints per game.

Say that's around 50,000 people over a weekend in all leagues, so 400,000 pints per week. 

This insight presents a serious opportunity for the game, with all these confirmed alcoholics in a confined space the major breweries will surely be falling over themselves to sponsor RL for massive sums.

It also explains why we see so many empty seats at games, the stadiums are actually packed to the rafters but everyone is almost continuously queuing, either at the bar or for the toilets.

10 minutes ago, M j M said:

Is it just me or has the TRL newsfeed become irredeemably clickbaity recently?

100%. I was going to post similar a week or two back but couldn't be bothered in the end. 

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

I am always amazed of the number of Rugby Union "fans" that never leave the bar.

Whenever I have gone into a union game there always seems be a gang of people that are taking the opportunity to use the excuse of attending a game without having to endure the dross on the pitch.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

1 hour ago, Bearman said:

I am always amazed of the number of Rugby Union "fans" that never leave the bar.

Whenever I have gone into a union game there always seems be a gang of people that are taking the opportunity to use the excuse of attending a game without having to endure the dross on the pitch.

Last time I went to a yawnion game was in a National Grid corporate box at Twickenham and basically nobody showed any interest in the game. It’s all about the booze.

8 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Last time I went to a yawnion game was in a National Grid corporate box at Twickenham and basically nobody showed any interest in the game. It’s all about the booze.

Well you’d need to be well pi$$ed tbh 

Archived