Sign in to follow this  
Total Rugby League

Bradford respond to OURLeague complaints

Bradford Bulls have responded to fans complaining about games that have been moved for TV coverage. The Bulls have announced three re-arranged kick-offs in 2020,...

View the full article

“The more people that join OURLeague, the more funding the club gets from central resources so it is essential we are increasing our TV presence so ahead of the 2020 season.”

True. However, a 6:15 pm kick off on a Sunday, may well not entice visiting supporters across the Pennines - in either direction.

4 hours ago, AlanE said:

“The more people that join OURLeague, the more funding the club gets from central resources so it is essential we are increasing our TV presence so ahead of the 2020 season.”

True. However, a 6:15 pm kick off on a Sunday, may well not entice visiting supporters across the Pennines - in either direction.

Agreed.

Again I ask (as in other threads on this forum) ... is the game played for the benefit of those true supporters who want to go and watch it live or for those who "support" it from the comfort of their armchair - and pay their money to a broadcasting company instead of to a club ?

Edited by RL does what Sky says

1 minute ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Again I ask (as in other threads on this forum) ... is the game played for the benefit of those true supporters who want to go and watch it live or for those who "support" it from the comfort of their armchair - and pay their money to a broadcasting company instead of to a club ?

Does that answer depend on where the most money comes from?

2 minutes ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

Does that answer depend on where the most money comes from?

Not really. I can understand that tv coverage is vital for the game but surely the timings of the televised matches have to take into account the true supporters who want to go and watch them live.

3 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Not really. I can understand that tv coverage is vital for the game but surely the timings of the televised matches have to take into account the true supporters who want to go and watch them live.

Not if the "true supporters" don't provide enough income to pay the squad. Ultimately, the biggest paymaster is going to call the shots. Surely that is the case with Sky and Super League. In terms of the Championship and Bradford, I would imagine it would be the Bradford supporters. However, I'm aware the RFL have started to link funding distributions to OurLeague registrations and activity.

2 minutes ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

Not if the "true supporters" don't provide enough income to pay the squad. Ultimately, the biggest paymaster is going to call the shots. Surely that is the case with Sky and Super League. In terms of the Championship and Bradford, I would imagine it would be the Bradford supporters. However, I'm aware the RFL have started to link funding distributions to OurLeague registrations and activity.

Yes I know it's a difficult balancing act (ie tv coverage to get money v less supporters in the ground). I don't mind having the tv coverage but if the fans stop going to the ground then where are the next generation of them (and possible future players) going to come from if people only think of RL as an entertainment show which they can switch on and off as they wish and don't get actively involved in it .

17 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Yes I know it's a difficult balancing act (ie tv coverage to get money v less supporters in the ground). I don't mind having the tv coverage but if the fans stop going to the ground then where are the next generation of them (and possible future players) going to come from if people only think of RL as an entertainment show which they can switch on and off as they wish and don't get actively involved in it .

Wish I knew the answer to that! Fortunately, rugby league is one of those sports that is genuinely great to watch live as well as on tv, so hopefully there will always be a nucleus of supporters who will prefer the live experience to watching it on telly. Ultimately, the biggest source of income will dictate when games get played.

On 03/01/2020 at 19:12, AlanE said:

Seriously. The longest journey is an absolute maximum two hours - for the M62 clubs - for a match that will start around 6 and finish around 8. If supporters can't cope with that then we are in serious difficulties as a sport.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Seriously. The longest journey is an absolute maximum two hours - for the M62 clubs - for a match that will start around 6 and finish around 8. If supporters can't cope with that then we are in serious difficulties as a sport.

I think perhaps the bigger issue is that it will clash with Countryfile on BBC1. This will massively impact attendances...