Oldest club

8 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I’ve got a feeling it’s Millom, because I had a mate who was from there and he told me, though he could have been wrong. 

That sounds familiar, I think I’ve heard they’re the oldest amateur team although didn’t they used to be professional? Wikipedia says 1873

4 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

For any Rhinos history nerds who are interested, the club appear to have changed the foundation date they put on the retro stuff to 1870 rather than the seemingly arbitrary 1895. Good move imo

Hated it when they put 1895 on, it’s like a premier league team putting 1992 on their crest.

Surprised Leeds aren’t doing anything to celebrate their 150th anniversary?

1 minute ago, Mr Plow said:

Hated it when they put 1895 on, it’s like a premier league team putting 1992 on their crest.

Surprised Leeds aren’t doing anything to celebrate their 150th anniversary?

Agreed. With the Rob Burrow stuff it would have rightly been set aside somewhat but there seems to be little going on. Perhaps they'll go for 2021, as in 1870-71 to 2021? 

4 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Agreed. With the Rob Burrow stuff it would have rightly been set aside somewhat but there seems to be little going on. Perhaps they'll go for 2021, as in 1870-71 to 2021? 

Maybe, although I don’t recall another club doing anything to celebrate a major anniversary? Leeds United are going all out in their centenary year

27 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

Maybe, although I don’t recall another club doing anything to celebrate a major anniversary? Leeds United are going all out in their centenary year

I think LU would be an excellent model to copy

14 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Why not? 

Thats what I'm saying. Technically the company that won those titles up to 2012 doesn't exist anymore but to almost everyone rational the current company is perfectly legitimate to hold them up as their own achievements. The poster I replied to questioned whether Hull FC could claim the "Est. 1865" moniker. 

1 minute ago, paulwalker71 said:

That was only the first such occurrence ?

Second I think - wasn't there a split in the early 1900s which saw the original club become Bradford Park Avenue and the RL club having to reform as Bradford (Northern)?

28 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

Bradford were 1863 but you can't exactly draw a straight line between that entity and the current Bradford Bulls

Wasn’t the original Bradford, Manningham that went onto become Bradford City? 

Swinton Lions claim 1866 but again interrupted by takeovers and new ownership?

Wigan 1872 and Saints 1873 must be close to the longest? 

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

6 minutes ago, The 4 of Us said:

Wasn’t the original Bradford, Manningham that went onto become Bradford City? 

Swinton Lions claim 1866 but again interrupted by takeovers and new ownership?

Wigan 1872 and Saints 1873 must be close to the longest? 

There was Bradford and Manningham afaik? Both becoming the 2 football clubs.

Oldham was 1876 according to Wikipedia,thats the original club. The new club was set up in 1997 I think. So it probably isn't us. It'd be nice to know for sure which club was the first member of the northern union of rugby football league for sure. 

Archived