Australian Fires - A problem for RL?

Apparently the air is so bad in Sydney that public buildings have closed because the smoke is setting off the fire alarms. 

Can't see how players could play in that or spectators would want to watch a game, let alone the national crisis that is unfolding. Let's hope they get the fires under control soon. 

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is very close to a Jonny Wilkinson was 5000 miles away on a plane whilst a Tsunami happened thread, but to save your nerves. Here’s the preseason schedule. It starts 2500 miles away in Perth in 6 weeks time. Suspect the bushfire season will be well in the past by then. 

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/10/25/2020-nrl-trial-dates-sharks-and-bulldogs-to-play-in-port-moresby/

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

24 minutes ago, The 4 of Us said:

This is very close to a Jonny Wilkinson was 5000 miles away on a plane whilst a Tsunami happened thread, but to save your nerves. Here’s the preseason schedule. It starts 2500 miles away in Perth in 6 weeks time. Suspect the bushfire season will be well in the past by then. 

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/10/25/2020-nrl-trial-dates-sharks-and-bulldogs-to-play-in-port-moresby/

6 weeks is mid-Feb, still in the peak of Australian summer (Dec-Feb). I wouldn't be so sure the fires will be well in the past by then unless there is nothing left to burn or there is some rain. Sadly, what we are seeing could just be the beginning.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

7 hours ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

6 weeks is mid-Feb, still in the peak of Australian summer (Dec-Feb). I wouldn't be so sure the fires will be well in the past by then unless there is nothing left to burn or there is some rain. Sadly, what we are seeing could just be the beginning.

There'll be nothing left to burn by then. One "good" thing about these fires is that they've wiped out all the main bush fire areas around Sydney so any future fires in this area will only have small pockets of fuel. The next major rainfall is forecast for April.

8 hours ago, The 4 of Us said:

If you think Perth is exempt from the bushfire crisis, then you are not well informed.

2 hours ago, Farmduck said:

There'll be nothing left to burn by then. One "good" thing about these fires is that they've wiped out all the main bush fire areas around Sydney so any future fires in this area will only have small pockets of fuel. The next major rainfall is forecast for April.

A genuine Q: how long will any issues with air quality take to clear and will that have any impact on outdoor sports like rugby league?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

A genuine Q: how long will any issues with air quality take to clear and will that have any impact on outdoor sports like rugby league?

The smoke haze in Sydney isnt bad now 

Canberra could be a different story 

A few weeks ago it was ridiculous 

9 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

As aj1908 said, I can see a bit of blue sky already. The biggest fire, the Gospers Mountain fire, is still out of control but all it has left are small pockets. The air in Sydney should probably clear tonight because there is a weather warning for gale force S/SE winds from about 10pm. Those winds are forecast for the entire NSW coast so they should blow most of the fires back onto the burnt out areas.

Just now, Farmduck said:

As aj1908 said, I can see a bit of blue sky already. The biggest fire, the Gospers Mountain fire, is still out of control but all it has left are small pockets. The air in Sydney should probably clear tonight because there is a weather warning for gale force S/SE winds from about 10pm. Those winds are forecast for the entire NSW coast so they should blow most of the fires back onto the burnt out areas.

45 degrees lol killing my life.

1 minute ago, aj1908 said:

45 degrees lol killing my life.

Yep it's not really a viable option, is it? Sydney couldn't survive a week of this. The trainlines would start to bow, cars would break down on every major road, nobody would be able to sleep, most outdoor work would have to stop. I've worked in temperatures like this and you can survive but your productivity the next day is about 20%

Even if you work in an office you've still got to get there. I used to have a thermometer in my car and some days, if you left the car in the sun for 5 minutes the temperature inside hit 65°

3 minutes ago, Farmduck said:

Yep it's not really a viable option, is it? Sydney couldn't survive a week of this. The trainlines would start to bow, cars would break down on every major road, nobody would be able to sleep, most outdoor work would have to stop. I've worked in temperatures like this and you can survive but your productivity the next day is about 20%

Even if you work in an office you've still got to get there. I used to have a thermometer in my car and some days, if you left the car in the sun for 5 minutes the temperature inside hit 65°

Yeh my mate was complaing 48 in the car 

My cousin at Penrith 50 lol

5 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

If you think Perth is exempt from the bushfire crisis, then you are not well informed.

Did I say exempt. Clearly they still have then and are. What they are not experiencing though is a crisis on the same level as Victoria and NSW. My opening comments were intended to highlight the somewhat vacuous nature of the thread (hence the JW comment). Worrying about impact in RL when there are people dying. 

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

20 minutes ago, The 4 of Us said:

Did I say exempt. Clearly they still have then and are. What they are not experiencing though is a crisis on the same level as Victoria and NSW. My opening comments were intended to highlight the somewhat vacuous nature of the thread (hence the JW comment). Worrying about impact in RL when there are people dying. 

Fair enough, it’s not a competition, but WA has been ravaged far worse than Vic. 

You mentioned Perth, thought you were discounting WA as affected. None of it is particularly favourable.

7 minutes ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

A thought that occurs to me is how it's affecting clubs' pre-season training - can't imagine that they're doing much outdoor work with the air quality as it is.

Was wondering this myself. Some teams may have taken a pre-season trip as well. Maybe expect some buffed up gym junkies for the early rounds ?️♂️

57 minutes ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

A thought that occurs to me is how it's affecting clubs' pre-season training - can't imagine that they're doing much outdoor work with the air quality as it is.

That could be an issue in Canberra. We’ve had rubbish air for weeks. At one point 27 times the hazardous level with easily the most polluted city air in the world.

Use this link to see the air in Canberra the other day. One old lady got off a flight from Brisbane and died of respiratory failure before she left the airport!

Polluted air in Canberra https://mobile.twitter.com/Marnie_HW/status/1212270751195095040

ENcJQ05X0AIs1CK.jpg

On this map the red ones are the only emergency situations. Of the 7 reds, 2 of them appear to have run out of good fuel - they're either heading back towards areas already burnt out or they're heading to areas where the vegetation is much more sparse.

The yellow ones are "Watch and Act" or basically, load up the car and keep the TV and radio on just in case we give you the word to run.

The blue ones are "Fire in your area but no big deal." Probably because it's a farming area and the sheep have already eaten every bit of vegetation to the ground OR there aren't any people living in the bush. In most of the blue areas around Sydney and Newcastle, the fire has already burnt about 90% of the forest and anything left is surrounded by farming land which doesn't have trees.

The section from Albury through to the coast and south of Canberra is probably fairly safe because there isn't the dense forest in the Snowy Mountains and because of the hydro plants there are lots of dams and lakes so the fire can't build up a 60km wide front. The red ones directly east of Canberra are a bit limited by the fact that once the fires get up to the top of the escarpment, it's mainly grazing land without many trees. Between the escarpment and the coast there isn't much the fire fighters can do because it's too steep.

There's also quite a wide gap - about 40km - between the South Coast fires and the bottom end of Wollongong and that land is mainly dairy farms. Down towards the Vic border there are 2 red areas but they've burnt so much that they have limited areas to move into.

The picture below is an example of why I think the Snowy Mountains will stop some of these fires. You can see there are no forests to generate the heat which produces the fire storms we've seen.

Hiking-in-Australia-kosciuszko-national-

This photo was posted online this morning. This is not that far from where the Raiders train. This is indicative of what it’s been like at their training field. 

I’ve been breathing in this rubbish for weeks without a break. It just fluctuates from bad to horrendous.

15DBCA0F-4A71-4D99-9A65-CC2104E30148.png

Archived