Signings

Graham Greaves

16 minutes ago, il cattivo said:

Can he play centre?.....

we seem to have 9 props but only 1 centre...?

Hope so. We have loads of pack players but scarily thin in the whole back line. We seem to think players can adapt from Full back to wing to centre to half back to hooker to loose man. Jack of all trades....   

WHERE DO YOU WANT ME TO SWIPE THIS?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, il cattivo said:

Can he play centre?.....

we seem to have 9 props but only 1 centre...?

Wasn't Wardy a Winger when he started many moons ago at Oldham?

I heard rumours a couple of years ago that Lillicrop was our fastest man, not that it really says much. 

I realise this is off the wall, but could we play Taira in the centre? He could certainly do a similar job to Walton, I reckon he has better hands than what Walton had when he was with us too.

1 hour ago, DOGFATHER said:

Wasn't Wardy a Winger when he started many moons ago at Oldham?

I heard rumours a couple of years ago that Lillicrop was our fastest man, not that it really says much. 

I realise this is off the wall, but could we play Taira in the centre? He could certainly do a similar job to Walton, I reckon he has better hands than what Walton had when he was with us too.

I fear Joe would have the Walton syndrome of running out off the line for a big hit, all aggressive, and then miss. Gifting a gap to the try line for the opposition. But ten times angrier.

13 hours ago, doggystyle said:

I fear Joe would have the Walton syndrome of running out off the line for a big hit, all aggressive, and then miss. Gifting a gap to the try line for the opposition. But ten times angrier.

You may well be right, and positionally it could be a problem. It would be so nice to have a guy in the centre that could break a tackle though. and have someone that could rattle the opposition when he did connect in defence, that way the guy opposing him would be looking for him coming next time he took the ball.

3 hours ago, DOGFATHER said:

You may well be right, and positionally it could be a problem. It would be so nice to have a guy in the centre that could break a tackle though. and have someone that could rattle the opposition when he did connect in defence, that way the guy opposing him would be looking for him coming next time he took the ball.

Isn't that the theory behind playing strong running second rowers out wide? 

We don't need any more forwards we need backs so why waste funds on two more forwards when we needs backs forgive I'll get excited when we sign a center or a winger dont say we got 4 wingers as 2 are not as quick as they once were one injury prone and other playing centre at moment in time . We played hull we matched there forwards outside we got cut to pieces needs looking at or it's going to be along hard season 

i thought we looked to have gone backwards in the tackling department. maybe fit some legs to tackle bags for a while, wernt that long since our ruthless defence won us games, we need a couple a players who can spark things into life on the park and make things happen, at least 5 players we shouldent even be wasting £££ on.

35 minutes ago, silverback said:

i thought we looked to have gone backwards in the tackling department. maybe fit some legs to tackle bags for a while, wernt that long since our ruthless defence won us games, we need a couple a players who can spark things into life on the park and make things happen, at least 5 players we shouldent even be wasting £££ on.

Ironically l don't think that was the case on Sunday. I think the forwards got stuck in. The backs were just outclassed by a half back who could send a long decent ball out wide and huge fast backs. 

1 hour ago, distantdog said:

Ironically l don't think that was the case on Sunday. I think the forwards got stuck in. The backs were just outclassed by a half back who could send a long decent ball out wide and huge fast backs. 

missed tackles all over the park, 3 men in one tackle and still ball came out for em to score,far too much one arm stuck out attempts at tackles for me, i will check the highlights as it might be my new giggs, same handfull doing the right tackles and making yards too. take 3 or 4 out of our squad who do the right things and we would be well stuffed. like i said its not long ago our place was a fortress in defence.

That hull side are one of the favourites for the SL add shaul and Danny haughton to it and they won’t be far off I expected a bigger score line when I saw the team... but I was proven wrong by our effort and other things following the hunslet defeat... We will be fine if we get a get a few loans in... 

41 minutes ago, silverback said:

missed tackles all over the park, 3 men in one tackle and still ball came out for em to score,far too much one arm stuck out attempts at tackles for me, i will check the highlights as it might be my new giggs, same handfull doing the right tackles and making yards too. take 3 or 4 out of our squad who do the right things and we would be well stuffed. like i said its not long ago our place was a fortress in defence.

Four years ago since we were anything like a fortress at home or anywhere else! 

Ssshhhhhh! what's that I hear charging up the hill, is it a stampede of centres flanked by swift wingers...…………………………………. oh well I can dream can't I.

7 hours ago, distantdog said:

Isn't that the theory behind playing strong running second rowers out wide? 

It is, but we aren't really blessed with any of those, with the possible exception of Walshaw.

I've not been blown away by any of the centre options we have tried so far. Defensively all of them have looked weak. If Taira only managed to connect in 3 out of 5 attempts, it wouldn't be any worse than what I've seen so far and he can break a tackle, unlike the current crop.

3 hours ago, doggystyle said:

If we are talking crazy what about Browny at centre?

He has very similar attributes to Walton but can time a pass better than he could imo, and Walton made it to SL.

I didn't realise this until today, but it turns out Taira started as a centre in Fiji, albeit a long time ago, maybe not quite so crazy afterall?

He's probably quicker than a few of our other options too.

12 hours ago, DOGFATHER said:

He has very similar attributes to Walton but can time a pass better than he could imo, and Walton made it to SL.

I didn't realise this until today, but it turns out Taira started as a centre in Fiji, albeit a long time ago, maybe not quite so crazy afterall?

He's probably quicker than a few of our other options too.

Jeff Grayshon started out as a full back; just thought you'd like to know.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

5 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Jeff Grayshon started out as a full back; just thought you'd like to know.

Very true.

Problem is, we have some pretty obvious weaknesses in the centre and at HB at the moment, and it is probably quite hard to pick anyone up of the calibre we require, given how close we are to the beginning of the season as well as the general shortage of players in those 2 positions.

Although it is certainly far from ideal, it was an attempt to find a solution.

From what I've seen so far, Morton, Bravo and Tomlinson haven't set the world on fire and haven't really looked good enough in either attack or defense. If speed is the main criteria for playing in the centre, I don't think there would be much between the 3 we have tried so far and Taira. He has proven during his time at prop he is capable of putting a decent pass out and has broken the odd tackle here and there. He is a better defender than any of the 3 we have tried so far and we have quite a few props in the squad plus the rumours of Gledhill and Lillicrop returning.

It will be nice to see Tom back if he’s fit he’s an asset and if Adam Gledhill returns I’d be well chuffed . I thought Adam was one of our most reliable players last year They would make competition in the forwards interesting 

But one player I’d love to see back this year would be Jack Broadbent that lad has a great future in the game 
Has he been loaned anywhere yet ?

Archived