Programme Watch: Which clubs are issuing them in 2020?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's what we know (or think we know!) so far...

SUPER LEAGUE

In print: Leeds (£3, 80pp), Warrington (£3), Wigan (£3.50)

Note: St Helens will issue a printed programme (A4 format) for the February 22 World Club Challenge

Monthly printed magazine: Castleford (Roar, £1, A4), Hull (The 18th Man, £1), Wakefield (The Mighty Trin, £2, A4)

Teamsheet: Salford (free)

Digital: Hull Kingston Rovers (free for subscribers to download), St Helens (free to download)

Nothing: Huddersfield (exclusive former programme content will appear on the club website, no digital alternative planned)

To be confirmed: Catalans, Toronto

Note: Leeds issued an 80-page printed programme (£3) for the 2/2 Headingley double header featuring Toronto v Castleford

CHAMPIONSHIP

In print: Halifax (£1, 24pp), London Broncos, Oldham, Sheffield (£3, also available as a digital download for £2.99), Swinton (£3), Whitehaven (32pp), York (£3)

Teamsheet: Dewsbury (50p), Widnes (free, double-sided)

Digital: Leigh (60pp, free to download)

Nothing: Batley, Featherstone

To be confirmed: Bradford, Toulouse

LEAGUE ONE

In print: Barrow (£2.50, 40pp), Keighley (£2), North Wales

Monthly printed magazine: Hunslet (South of the River, £3)

Digital: Coventry, West Wales

Nothing: Rochdale

To be confirmed: Doncaster, London Skolars, Newcastle, Workington

NATIONAL CONFERENCE LEAGUE

In print: Barrow Island (£1, 16pp), Leigh Miners (£1), Milford (£3, w/a), Siddal (£3, w/a), Thornhill (£2), Underbank

Note: Pilkington are issuing (a 20-pager) but it could be digital only

To be confirmed: Askam, Batley Boys, Beverley, Clock Face, Crosfields, Dewsbury Celtic, Dewsbury Moor, Drighlington, Dudley Hill, East Leeds, Eastmoor, Egremont, Featherstone Lions, Gateshead, Hensingham, Heworth, Hull Dockers, Hunslet Club Parkside, Hunslet Warriors, Ince, Kells, Leigh East, Lock Lane, Millom, Myton, Normanton, Oldham St Annes, Oulton, Rochdale Mayfield, Saddleworth, Shaw Cross, Skirlaugh, Stanningley, Thatto Heath, Waterhead, Wath Brow, West Bowling, West Hull, Wigan St Judes, Wigan St Patricks, Woolston, York Acorn

NON-NATIONAL CONFERENCE LEAGUE AMATEURS

In print: Ellenborough (£2, 4pp, w/a), GB Police (£1, A4 brochure with teamsheet, two 'one-offs' for Challenge Cup ties with Torfaen and Rochdale Mayfield), Sherwood Wolf Hunt (£2.50, 12pp, two 'one-offs' for Challenge Cup ties with Wests Warriors and West Bowling)

Workington Town are not issuing anything this season. No online programme either. They are issuing a bi monthly newsletter online which they claim is replacing the programme. You do have to take out a £10 monthly membership to access this. I was told the programme was losing money. Maybe if they had someone actually selling them they may have sold a few more.

Yesterday I went to watch Workington Zebras RUFC in the low level.Cumbria League. £3 to get in which includes a free full colour glossy programme. The attendance was about 50.

Go figure?

20200216_121627.jpg

An update...

SUPER LEAGUE

In print: Leeds (£3, 80pp), Warrington (£3, 48pp), Wigan (£3.50)

Note: St Helens issued a printed programme (£4, A4) for the February 22 World Club Challenge with Sydney Roosters

Monthly printed magazine: Castleford (Roar, £1, A4), Hull (The 18th Man, £1), Wakefield (The Mighty Trin, £2, A4)

Teamsheet: Salford (free)

Digital: Hull Kingston Rovers (free for subscribers to download), St Helens (free to download)

Nothing: Huddersfield (exclusive former programme content will appear on the club website, no digital alternative planned)

To be confirmed: Catalans, Toronto

Note: Leeds issued an 80-page printed programme (£3) for the 2/2 Headingley double header featuring Toronto v Castleford

CHAMPIONSHIP

In print: Halifax (£1, 24pp), London Broncos, Oldham, Sheffield (£3, 44pp, also available as a digital download for £2.99), Swinton (£3), Whitehaven (£2.50, 32pp), York (£3)

Teamsheet: Dewsbury (50p), Widnes (free, double-sided)

Digital: Batley (free to subscribers), Leigh (60pp, free to download)

Nothing: Bradford, Featherstone

To be confirmed: Toulouse

LEAGUE ONE

In print: Barrow (£2.50, 40pp), Keighley (£2), North Wales (£2)

Monthly printed magazine: Hunslet (South of the River, £3)

Digital: Coventry, West Wales, Workington (bi-monthly newsletter, for members only)

Nothing: Rochdale

To be confirmed: Doncaster, London Skolars, Newcastle

NATIONAL CONFERENCE LEAGUE

In print: Barrow Island (£1, 16pp), Batley Boys, Leigh Miners (£1), Milford (£3, w/a), Siddal (£3, w/a), Thornhill (£2), Underbank

Note: Pilkington are issuing (a 20-pager) but it could be digital only

To be confirmed: Askam, Beverley, Clock Face, Crosfields, Dewsbury Celtic, Dewsbury Moor, Drighlington, Dudley Hill, East Leeds, Eastmoor, Egremont, Featherstone Lions, Gateshead, Hensingham, Heworth, Hull Dockers, Hunslet Club Parkside, Hunslet Warriors, Ince, Kells, Leigh East, Lock Lane, Millom, Myton, Normanton, Oldham St Annes, Oulton, Rochdale Mayfield, Saddleworth, Shaw Cross, Skirlaugh, Stanningley, Thatto Heath, Waterhead, Wath Brow, West Bowling, West Hull, Wigan St Judes, Wigan St Patricks, Woolston, York Acorn

NON-NATIONAL CONFERENCE LEAGUE AMATEURS

In print: Ellenborough (£2, 4pp, w/a), GB Police (£1, A4 brochure with teamsheet, two 'one-offs' for Challenge Cup ties with Torfaen and Rochdale Mayfield), Sherwood Wolf Hunt (£2.50, 12pp, two 'one-offs' for Challenge Cup ties with Wests Warriors and West Bowling)

1 hour ago, Super Rooster said:

Workington Town are not issuing anything this season. No online programme either. They are issuing a bi monthly newsletter online which they claim is replacing the programme. You do have to take out a £10 monthly membership to access this. I was told the programme was losing money. Maybe if they had someone actually selling them they may have sold a few more.

Yesterday I went to watch Workington Zebras RUFC in the low level.Cumbria League. £3 to get in which includes a free full colour glossy programme. The attendance was about 50.

Go figure?

20200216_121627.jpg

Match specific cover, too. Good job. Zebras usually do a decent programme. And that stand at the Ellis!

No programme is just an excuse, typical of the "can't be arsed" attitude of many clubs. If you don't sell many , just print a small amount. Surely programme ads over a season cover the cost ? It's a service to supporters. I like to know who's playing for both teams. Turned up at Workington Town today - nothing, not even a team sheet. All those West Bowling fans I am sure would have liked a memento of their day out.

9 minutes ago, Tasman said:

No programme is just an excuse, typical of the "can't be arsed" attitude of many clubs. If you don't sell many , just print a small amount. Surely programme ads over a season cover the cost ? It's a service to supporters. I like to know who's playing for both teams. Turned up at Workington Town today - nothing, not even a team sheet. All those West Bowling fans I am sure would have liked a memento of their day out.

Couldn't agree more. As I've mentioned above, there are now lots of small design and print operations putting together viable match programmes for non-league football clubs with crowds of less than a hundred. Some below 50!

Seeing as Super Rooster mentioned yesterday's Workington RU programme, I'll say I watched York RU play Scarborough the same afternoon. Crowd was about 235 - pretty modest - yet York managed to include an excellent 40-page programme with the £6 admission charge. 

44 minutes ago, Hopping Mad said:

Couldn't agree more. As I've mentioned above, there are now lots of small design and print operations putting together viable match programmes for non-league football clubs with crowds of less than a hundred. Some below 50!

Seeing as Super Rooster mentioned yesterday's Workington RU programme, I'll say I watched York RU play Scarborough the same afternoon. Crowd was about 235 - pretty modest - yet York managed to include an excellent 40-page programme with the £6 admission charge. 

It all seems like a lack of effort to me - a programme is a potential source of income, from the cover price to advertising revenue.

Perhaps it needs some supporters to produce unofficial programmes or fanzines to embarrass clubs into producing them.

Retro cover of the A4 programme (£4) St Helens produced for the World Club Challenge (22/2) against Sydney Roosters. It evokes a programme issued for a 1976 SCG World Club Championship clash between Eastern Suburbs and Saints. On Twitter, Saints described it as the "final printed programme" the club will issue:

ERZQfziXsAA2Kdm.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Super Rooster said:

M60 programmes are selling printed copies of Saints v Salford and also a Leigh programme from this season. Maybe "testing the water" to see if there is a market?

Good info! As you probably know, M60 provide professionally printed copies of programmes issued by ostensibly 'digital only' football clubs. They are happy to do one-offs for about a fiver.

Archived