Worst referreing decision to benefit your team...

Since we still have 3 weeks of the off season left, thought we might have another very much off season topic. The majority seem to enjoy slagging off referees, sometimes to an obsessive extent, so I thought we would flip it! What is the worst refereeing decision you can remember than has benefitted your team?

I'll start with Saints...a disallowed Bradford try in the 2002 Grand Final that would have put the Bulls up 12-0 after around 10 minutes. It was ruled a knock on against a Bradford player despite clearly being stripped by Paul Newlove. How different things could have been if that try was awarded!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On a last tackle play Benji Marshall dropped the ball then kicked it through the defence, ran through to re-gather and scored. It was a blatant knock-on and everyone watching knew it. The Video Ref decided that there was no law saying you can't drop-kick a grubber kick through the line and allowed the try. Would have been maybe 2014.

I remember the  Hull Fat Boys bossing the show against Cas when the ref gave one of those 'nothing' penalties against Hull. A freakish series of events led to cas overcoming a healthy lead to win in short order.

Not an overly bad decision as just not necessary. If the hadn''t given it nobody would have even noticed yet he did and probably the best team lost.

I've read that a Ref doesn't affect the result of a game which makes me wonder- what is he there for if he doesn't?

TESTICULI AD  BREXITAM.

16 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Probably the knock-on decision against Michael Withers in ‘99. I question whether Saints would have had the period of dominance we had and whether we’d have become Bradford’s bogey side in big games without it. 

I know what you are saying but I wouldn’t call that or the “voluntary tackle” the worst refereeing decisions as both were 50/50 calls. Either could be classed as most important but on both decisions you could argue either way. We certainly came out on the right side of those decisions though. 

2 hours ago, M j M said:

Off the top of my head, and ignoring the Magic game vs Bradford which doesn't count, this game always amuses me. Agent Thaler strikes again for Leeds in a big game ?

Lol I really liked Thaler as a ref after that haha

Went to Willows Salford in 1997.

CC tie v Paris.

Paris try scored in corner ruled out for forward pass at the death. 

Salford won 8-4.

Urban myth that Paris could not have staged replay as Charlety Stadium unavailable mid week. Unlikely Paris would have kicked conversion as it would have been so difficult for Jeremy Robinson (?)

6 hours ago, Chris22 said:

Since we still have 3 weeks of the off season left, thought we might have another very much off season topic. The majority seem to enjoy slagging off referees, sometimes to an obsessive extent, so I thought we would flip it! What is the worst refereeing decision you can remember than has benefitted your team?

I'll start with Saints...a disallowed Bradford try in the 2002 Grand Final that would have put the Bulls up 12-0 after around 10 minutes. It was ruled a knock on against a Bradford player despite clearly being stripped by Paul Newlove. How different things could have been if that try was awarded!

I think that's still the worst decision I've ever seen. You can forgive the on-field ref for a mistake when there's a lot happening very quickly, but this was the VR. No excuse whatsoever. The players of both sides, and the match ref, were visibly gobsmacked. 

Bradford were rampant at the time and I suspect would have won with a bit to spare.

And when they found our shadows

Grouped around the TV sets

They ran down every lead

They repeated every test

They checked out all the data on their lists

And then the alien anthropologists

Admitted they were still perplexed

But on eliminating every other reason

For our sad demise

They logged the only explanation left

This species has amused itself to death

No tears to cry no feelings left

This species has amused itself to death

I remember us (workington) getting a brilliant decision against York many years ago. A town player knocked on straight into a a York players arms, a different town player then tackled him and took the ball in the tackle and scored. Everyone just waited for the knock on yo be given, instead the ref ran and pointed for the try, the whole crowd was gobsmacked. 

Now a cas fan needs to do one about a ref mistaking enormous dark skinned Fijian prop Jimmy pickering for ginger white skinned Lee crooks. 

1 minute ago, dkw said:

I remember us (workington) getting a brilliant decision against York many years ago. A town player knocked on straight into a a York players arms, a different town player then tackled him and took the ball in the tackle and scored. Everyone just waited for the knock on yo be given, instead the ref ran and pointed for the try, the whole crowd was gobsmacked. 

Now a cas fan needs to do one about a ref mistaking enormous dark skinned Fijian prop Jimmy pickering for ginger white skinned Lee crooks. 

Off topic I know.

Lee Crooks pointed out in his autobiography that if Hull had not missed 5 goal kicks v Wigan Wembley 1985 then maybe Wigan would not have had a decade of domination thereafter.

Archived