Worst referreing decision to benefit your team...

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was never too convinced by the voluntary tackle argument, it looked more like a surrender tackle to me. The match, and the title, were won and lost by the appalling decision mentioned in the OP.

And when they found our shadows

Grouped around the TV sets

They ran down every lead

They repeated every test

They checked out all the data on their lists

And then the alien anthropologists

Admitted they were still perplexed

But on eliminating every other reason

For our sad demise

They logged the only explanation left

This species has amused itself to death

No tears to cry no feelings left

1 minute ago, Rioman said:

I remember Neil Summers of Bradford Northern' touching down' on the 10m line and Robin Whitfield giving the try.   As a Trinity supporter 'apoplectic'  just about covers the reaction.

That one still makes me laugh. Robin Whitfield, worst referee in history, in any sport.

They ran down every lead

They repeated every test

For our sad demise

On the Joynt incident.  As previously posted, the laws state that a "player in possession shall not deliberately and unnecessarily allow himself to be tackled by voluntarily falling to the ground when not held by an opponent."

From my view, he absolutely voluntarily fell to the ground. But the law states that he should not allow himself to be 'tackled' by falling to the ground and he actually did regain his feet and then succumb to an (albeit weak) tackle. This action meant the penalty was not nailed on. If the Bradford players had let him either lay on the floor or play the ball without touching him the penalty would have been 100% (not saying it would have been given though).

It's a judgement call in the end... probably 60/40 a penalty for me... but there are plenty of laws broken every game (every scrum & tackle!) without a penalty being given.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Anybody remember the Saints try at Bradford many years ago. Due to it being a hard frosty week the ground at Odsal was protected by straw to ensure the game was played. Late on in the game Saints kicked the ball downfield towards the open end,the kick was for to long and went dead,rolling up the piled up straw and coming back down again into the in goal area. Les Jones the Saints winger was chasing and for a laugh touched the ball down. The referee,who I believe was Stan Wall awarded a try to everybodys disbelief including Les Jones. Afterwards,in the bar I was talking to Les and he said,he could not believe a try had been given as the ball quite clearly went dead. Saints went onto win the game by a point or two.

21 hours ago, Rioman said:

I remember Neil Summers of Bradford Northern' touching down' on the 10m line and Robin Whitfield giving the try.   As a Trinity supporter 'apoplectic'  just about covers the reaction.

Lol, I was going to mention that one as it's supposed to be a benefit you your own side, though, FWIW I couldn't believe it either.

I'll have to mention another one then. We were playing at Wilderspool many years ago and we had a kick for the corner and a general chase for the ball. Tony Anderson made a flying dive and totally missed the ball, let alone touched it down, only for the ref to come steaming up some time later and point do the spot. I think it was definitely one for the crowd as we were all jumping up an down as though he'd got....

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31337109@N03/

9 hours ago, fairfolly said:

Anybody remember the Saints try at Bradford many years ago. Due to it being a hard frosty week the ground at Odsal was protected by straw to ensure the game was played. Late on in the game Saints kicked the ball downfield towards the open end,the kick was for to long and went dead,rolling up the piled up straw and coming back down again into the in goal area. Les Jones the Saints winger was chasing and for a laugh touched the ball down. The referee,who I believe was Stan Wall awarded a try to everybodys disbelief including Les Jones. Afterwards,in the bar I was talking to Les and he said,he could not believe a try had been given as the ball quite clearly went dead. Saints went onto win the game by a point or two.

Reluctant as I am to cast doubt on a referee's impartiality, it was Stan Wall.

They ran down every lead

They repeated every test

For our sad demise

Cas got 2 lucky calls when winning the 1986 CC.

In the semi final against Oldham, Oldham were 7-6 up half way through the second half when Bob Beardsmore of Cas put up an up and under that landed in goal to the right of the posts and Oldham full back  Liddiard let it bounce.  The ball bounced over his head behind the sticks and Beardsmore dived on it to score.  But from where I was stood behind the sticks Beardsmore seemed to have had one leg over the dead ball line as he attempted to change direction to dive on the ball.

Also in the final against Hull KR we were 7-6 up in the second half when Beardsmore put in a grubbed kick from about 20m out.  The Hull KR centre Prohm hesitated as the ball went over the try line and Beardsmore dived around him.  I was in line and thought Beardsmore knocked on as the ball appeared to hit his elbow.

36 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

In no doubt, 7th tackle try in week one of semi finals against Cows 2013...

disagree. i remember this game.  the cowboys had tonnes of chances to win it and jonathan thurston had a terrible game.  his last tackle options were hopeless.  had a massive choke when it counted

On 05/01/2020 at 01:19, Farmduck said:

On a last tackle play Benji Marshall dropped the ball then kicked it through the defence, ran through to re-gather and scored. It was a blatant knock-on and everyone watching knew it. The Video Ref decided that there was no law saying you can't drop-kick a grubber kick through the line and allowed the try. Would have been maybe 2014.

i vaguely remember this.  you arent a storm fan are you?

8 hours ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Cas got 2 lucky calls when winning the 1986 CC.

In the semi final against Oldham, Oldham were 7-6 up half way through the second half when Bob Beardsmore of Cas put up an up and under that landed in goal to the right of the posts and Oldham full back  Liddiard let it bounce.  The ball bounced over his head behind the sticks and Beardsmore dived on it to score.  But from where I was stood behind the sticks Beardsmore seemed to have had one leg over the dead ball line as he attempted to change direction to dive on the ball.

Also in the final against Hull KR we were 7-6 up in the second half when Beardsmore put in a grubbed kick from about 20m out.  The Hull KR centre Prohm hesitated as the ball went over the try line and Beardsmore dived around him.  I was in line and thought Beardsmore knocked on as the ball appeared to hit his elbow.

I was literally going to post about that try in the cup final - he never got it down in my opinion.

I'd forgotten about the try in the semi but 100% agree with you - he was over the line when he touched it down

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

It wasn't important and I can't remember the opponent (may have been Sheffield) but it was at the Willows and is definitely the most ridiculous decision I've ever seen Salford given. Fata Sini broke through the line in his own half and had the full back to beat. He decided to chip him and the fullback took him out at the 40 yard line. The ball bobbled over the line eventually. Fata Sini wasn't the fastest and there is no guarantee he would have got there. Referee gave a penalty try! They don't like to give them from 2 yards out these days!

On 06/01/2020 at 09:34, aj1908 said:

disagree. i remember this game.  the cowboys had tonnes of chances to win it and jonathan thurston had a terrible game.  his last tackle options were hopeless.  had a massive choke when it counted

I don’t know about that... I thought it was a great example of my club being fortuitous from a poor referee decision.

I vaguely remember a Cas vs Salford Challenge Cup tie a few years ago, Denny Solomona was way short of the try line but even though it went to the screen it was still given. Can anyone else remember this? Think it was live on BBC.

As a Bradford fan, I could point to scores of low level decisions that went our way when we were good. Every other week, it seemed, we'd muller someone with a healthy dose of support from the officials. 

However, we paid for that with just about every major, controversial call going against us. 

People called Romans they go the house

I am shocked, totally shocked that there arent floods of Castleford and Warrington fans holding there hands up and saying" thanks to the ref we robbed oldham of a Wembley appearance". 1986 the ref gave Castleford a try, admittedly david  liddiard Let the ball bounce, however bob beardsmore had his foot in touch when he touched down. There is photographic evidence. But, the biggest blunder came in 1991 , Oldham, 2nd division versus Warrington, 1st division.( Oldham athletic were already at Wembley v notts forest in the littlewoods cup on the same weekend as the challenge cup final.) 5 minutes to go, mike ford  kicks through, Paul Lord, the fastest player on the pitch,  races through, picks up the ball and touches down. Score even. All we need is Duncan Platt to convert and Wembley here we come. But wait , john holdsworth, the referee says no try, no try?????? No way, the replay shows a good try. Oh for a video ref. When I win the Euro millions and and pay for the New Watersheddings stadium, there will be a the john holdsworth suite. It will be the best toilets in rugby league with strategically placed pictures. ?

No consolation, I know, but Holdsworth admitted years later that he'd pinged Lordy for offside because he was "in front of the Oldham forward who kicked the ball". That forward was John Cogger, who was stood behind Mike Ford, who was the player who put in the kick. So a case of mistaken identity. It could be argued that one mistake by a referee may have changed the future history of two clubs. Alternatively, things could have still have panned out the same, but it's nice to dream.  

Archived