Sign in to follow this  
Chris22

Worst referreing decision to benefit your team...

2 hours ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

Just rewatched the voluntary tackle video again and loads of the Bradford players are offside at the PTB anyway! The Bulls were clutching at straws!

To be honest though, at the exact time the ball is played the camera is showing a close-up of it and it can't be seen where the Bradford players are at that moment in the defensive line. At least a second passes before the camera shows a long shot, by which time some of the Bradford players will themselves have moved forward. Apart from one Bradford player on the side near the camera who was retreating after a previous tackle, there are only two (ie: not "loads") who might definitely been in front of the referee but even if they had been they didn't get involved in the subsequent play and affect Joynt's play.

I am sure we can all find small things which we believe might prove our own view of the matter but in the end it's not our opinion that counts ... it's still good to discuss it though !

8 hours ago, RL does what Sky says said:

To be honest though, at the exact time the ball is played the camera is showing a close-up of it and it can't be seen where the Bradford players are at that moment in the defensive line. At least a second passes before the camera shows a long shot, by which time some of the Bradford players will themselves have moved forward. Apart from one Bradford player on the side near the camera who was retreating after a previous tackle, there are only two (ie: not "loads") who might definitely been in front of the referee but even if they had been they didn't get involved in the subsequent play and affect Joynt's play.

I've changed my mind about it being a 50-50 call and now I think it's 100% penalty to Saints! 😁

8 hours ago, RL does what Sky says said:

I am sure we can all find small things which we believe might prove our own view of the matter but in the end it's not our opinion that counts ... it's still good to discuss it though !

Agreed - I think it's great that we can still be talking about an incident from nearly 20 years ago! Recent Grand Finals don't seem to have had as many talking points - bring on some controversy!

• Like 2

Anybody remember the Saints try at Bradford many years ago. Due to it being a hard frosty week the ground at Odsal was protected by straw to ensure the game was played. Late on in the game Saints kicked the ball downfield towards the open end,the kick was for to long and went dead,rolling up the piled up straw and coming back down again into the in goal area. Les Jones the Saints winger was chasing and for a laugh touched the ball down. The referee,who I believe was Stan Wall awarded a try to everybodys disbelief including Les Jones. Afterwards,in the bar I was talking to Les and he said,he could not believe a try had been given as the ball quite clearly went dead. Saints went onto win the game by a point or two.

21 hours ago, Rioman said:

I remember Neil Summers of Bradford Northern' touching down' on the 10m line and Robin Whitfield giving the try.   As a Trinity supporter 'apoplectic'  just about covers the reaction.

Lol, I was going to mention that one as it's supposed to be a benefit you your own side, though, FWIW I couldn't believe it either.

I'll have to mention another one then. We were playing at Wilderspool many years ago and we had a kick for the corner and a general chase for the ball. Tony Anderson made a flying dive and totally missed the ball, let alone touched it down, only for the ref to come steaming up some time later and point do the spot. I think it was definitely one for the crowd as we were all jumping up an down as though he'd got....

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31337109@N03/

9 hours ago, fairfolly said:

Anybody remember the Saints try at Bradford many years ago. Due to it being a hard frosty week the ground at Odsal was protected by straw to ensure the game was played. Late on in the game Saints kicked the ball downfield towards the open end,the kick was for to long and went dead,rolling up the piled up straw and coming back down again into the in goal area. Les Jones the Saints winger was chasing and for a laugh touched the ball down. The referee,who I believe was Stan Wall awarded a try to everybodys disbelief including Les Jones. Afterwards,in the bar I was talking to Les and he said,he could not believe a try had been given as the ball quite clearly went dead. Saints went onto win the game by a point or two.

Reluctant as I am to cast doubt on a referee's impartiality, it was Stan Wall.

And when they found our shadows

Grouped around the TV sets

They ran down every lead

They repeated every test

They checked out all the data on their lists

And then the alien anthropologists

Admitted they were still perplexed

But on eliminating every other reason

For our sad demise

They logged the only explanation left

This species has amused itself to death

No tears to cry no feelings left

This species has amused itself to death

Cas got 2 lucky calls when winning the 1986 CC.

In the semi final against Oldham, Oldham were 7-6 up half way through the second half when Bob Beardsmore of Cas put up an up and under that landed in goal to the right of the posts and Oldham full back  Liddiard let it bounce.  The ball bounced over his head behind the sticks and Beardsmore dived on it to score.  But from where I was stood behind the sticks Beardsmore seemed to have had one leg over the dead ball line as he attempted to change direction to dive on the ball.

Also in the final against Hull KR we were 7-6 up in the second half when Beardsmore put in a grubbed kick from about 20m out.  The Hull KR centre Prohm hesitated as the ball went over the try line and Beardsmore dived around him.  I was in line and thought Beardsmore knocked on as the ball appeared to hit his elbow.

36 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

In no doubt, 7th tackle try in week one of semi finals against Cows 2013...

disagree. i remember this game.  the cowboys had tonnes of chances to win it and jonathan thurston had a terrible game.  his last tackle options were hopeless.  had a massive choke when it counted

On 05/01/2020 at 01:19, Farmduck said:

On a last tackle play Benji Marshall dropped the ball then kicked it through the defence, ran through to re-gather and scored. It was a blatant knock-on and everyone watching knew it. The Video Ref decided that there was no law saying you can't drop-kick a grubber kick through the line and allowed the try. Would have been maybe 2014.

i vaguely remember this.  you arent a storm fan are you?

1 hour ago, aj1908 said:

i vaguely remember this.  you arent a storm fan are you?

No I'm a Wests Magpies fan.

8 hours ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

In the semi final against Oldham, Oldham were 7-6 up half way through the second half when Bob Beardsmore of Cas put up an up and under that landed in goal to the right of the posts and Oldham full back  Liddiard let it bounce.  The ball bounced over his head behind the sticks and Beardsmore dived on it to score.  But from where I was stood behind the sticks Beardsmore seemed to have had one leg over the dead ball line as he attempted to change direction to dive on the ball.

Also in the final against Hull KR we were 7-6 up in the second half when Beardsmore put in a grubbed kick from about 20m out.  The Hull KR centre Prohm hesitated as the ball went over the try line and Beardsmore dived around him.  I was in line and thought Beardsmore knocked on as the ball appeared to hit his elbow.

I was literally going to post about that try in the cup final - he never got it down in my opinion.

I'd forgotten about the try in the semi but 100% agree with you - he was over the line when he touched it down

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

It wasn't important and I can't remember the opponent (may have been Sheffield) but it was at the Willows and is definitely the most ridiculous decision I've ever seen Salford given. Fata Sini broke through the line in his own half and had the full back to beat. He decided to chip him and the fullback took him out at the 40 yard line. The ball bobbled over the line eventually. Fata Sini wasn't the fastest and there is no guarantee he would have got there. Referee gave a penalty try! They don't like to give them from 2 yards out these days!

On 06/01/2020 at 09:34, aj1908 said:

disagree. i remember this game.  the cowboys had tonnes of chances to win it and jonathan thurston had a terrible game.  his last tackle options were hopeless.  had a massive choke when it counted

I don’t know about that... I thought it was a great example of my club being fortuitous from a poor referee decision.

Joynts was a voluntary tackle, without question. Voluntary tackles are never given any more. They happen every game, every week.

The magic weekend wasnt really a bad decision. It was more a confluence of circumstances. The knock-on was a bit of a 50/50, the offside at the kick at goal wasnt as clear as it looked from the TV angle and is something that isnt ever checked

On 06/01/2020 at 00:41, Adelaide Tiger said:

Yes, you are correct regarding the semi-final versus Oldham. Pause this video at 19:40 and you will see that Beardmore's leg is on or over the dead-ball line ...

Then 4 years later Oldham were denied a potential match-winning try in their semi-final against Warrington when in the last second Paul Lord ran to touch down a kick ahead only to be ruled offside. It was such a tight call that it could have gone either way but the video does show he was just a fraction (ie: millimetres) behind the kicker (no video referee in those days).

With those two instances and the 1964 semi-final replay being abandoned when Oldham in front (and then losing the second replay) then who could deny that Oldham have been the unluckiest side never to play at Wembley ?

Who was the fastest rugby league player in the 1990s? Not Martin Offiah, but actually Neil Roebuck at Fev. Or at least, the referee in this game must have thought so, judging on the obstruction try he gives here (around 3:00 in - sound quality not great).

On 04/01/2020 at 19:59, RL does what Sky says said:

Yes ... and by falling to the floor without being held he is allowing himself to be tackled. The law DOES NOT say an opponent has to then actually tackle him in order to get the penalty; it just refers to the player in possession ALLOWING that to happen.

So, where do you stand on players diving to the floor to get out of being trapped in their own in goal, happens nearly every game.

I vaguely remember a Cas vs Salford Challenge Cup tie a few years ago, Denny Solomona was way short of the try line but even though it went to the screen it was still given. Can anyone else remember this? Think it was live on BBC.

5 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

So, where do you stand on players diving to the floor to get out of being trapped in their own in goal, happens nearly every game.

That is covered by a specific law of the game ...

--------------------------------------

Drop-out from Goal line 4. The game is restarted with a drop-out by a defending player from the centre of his goal line if:

(c) a defending player touches down in the in-goal area.

-----------------------------------

Therefore as long as a player is inside his own in-goal area he can just fall to the ground and then play is immediately stopped and a drop-out awarded. (If a player grounds the ball in his own in-goal area that is called a "touchdown" whereas in his opponents' in-goal area it is obviously a try).

If you meant the player in possession was outside the in-goal area then he should be penalised for a voluntary tackle.

Edited by RL does what Sky says
  • Haha 1

As a Bradford fan, I could point to scores of low level decisions that went our way when we were good. Every other week, it seemed, we'd muller someone with a healthy dose of support from the officials. 

However, we paid for that with just about every major, controversial call going against us. 

People called Romans they go the house

7 hours ago, RL does what Sky says said:

That is covered by a specific law of the game ...

--------------------------------------

Drop-out from Goal line 4. The game is restarted with a drop-out by a defending player from the centre of his goal line if:

(c) a defending player touches down in the in-goal area.

-----------------------------------

Therefore as long as a player is inside his own in-goal area he can just fall to the ground and then play is immediately stopped and a drop-out awarded. (If a player grounds the ball in his own in-goal area that is called a "touchdown" whereas in his opponents' in-goal area it is obviously a try).

If you meant the player in possession was outside the in-goal area then he should be penalised for a voluntary tackle.

I mean diving back into the field of play

On 04/01/2020 at 20:13, RL does what Sky says said:

Second one - agreed.

Regarding the voluntary tackle, I am going by the actual law of it (ie: a player cannot just throw himself on the floor when not held) - there is no rule to say a player HAS TO tackle an opponent.

You are tedious and stupid.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014