What film are you embarrassed to say you haven't seen....

27 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

... and why

I've not seen Citizen Kane

It’s an all too rare example of a “classic” that doesn’t feel like a chore to watch. It’s genuinely enjoyable.

I really think I should have seen Close Encounters of the Third Kind because so many films, writers etc who I love reference. I probably should be embarrassed to admit that I’ve never seen 2001 but I’m firmly of the opinion that, Dr Strangelove aside, no film maker has ever been more overrated than Kubrick.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Not embarrassed but finally got to watch it a couple of days ago after wanting to see it , with the swearing in it I can understand why I might have missed it 

Paul , written by Simon Pegg and Nick Frost , funny as ?

If it comes to movies I have only watched bits of, I have never seen the following in toto.

• The Great Escape
  • The Sound of Music
  • Close Encounters of the Third Kind
  • It's a wonderful Life

...and probably a fair few more that I really should have watched by now. I'll get round to them at some point, I hope.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, Futtocks said:

If it comes to movies I have only watched bits of, I have never seen the following in toto.

• The Great Escape
  • The Sound of Music
  • Close Encounters of the Third Kind
  • It's a wonderful Life

...and probably a fair few more that I really should have watched by now. I'll get round to them at some point, I hope.

Close Encounters is great. Leave the sound of music alone... Awful

There's quite a few "classics" that I've never seen such as citizen kane, casablanca, wizard of oz and I think the reason is threefold;

1. They are films I already know a lot about so whenever they are on and I'm looking down the schedule it's not something that jumps out at me as something I'm desperate to see. 

2. Because they are classics, a lot of family members have already seen them so when they are on everyone just tends to dismiss them immediately. 

3. Well, they arent really my sort of thing. I'm into sci-fi, horror and gangster films. Unless the land of oz is invaded by aliens, casablanca is overrun by zombies and citizen kane is shot in the face by Robert Di Nero then no thanks. 

I've seen Citizen Kane, and it is a remarkable film. Definitely worth watching at least once in your life. Having read a bit about it, the more you know about cinematic technique and history, the more impressive it is.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Can’t say I’m ‘ embarrassed ‘ about not seeing any film . Nothing worse than when you say you haven’t seen a film or tv show and some irritant , or group , look at you like you’ve dropped from mars ...’ you haven’t seen it , wow ! It’s awesome ‘ . Yeh I haven’t seen it , wasnt interested . Then they still tell you all about it 

3 minutes ago, Derwent said:

Not a film but I have also never seen Game of Thrones and have no plans to do so.

The first few series were wonderful TV, that was dismissed by the lazy people as #### and dragons.

By the later series, it had become rubbish. I do not blame the show writers, they did a wonderful job of adapting, but should not have been put in a position of trying to wrote original stuff. Also, they were terrible at writing women.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

14 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

Brassed off.....

After 36 years..... its still too raw.

It's a good watch, but remember, it's a work of fiction, a romanticised image of northern life the way some people wanted it to be, rather than how it was. Designed to reinforce the prejudices, it certainly revealed Tomkinson as the great talent he is not. The brass band element was a far cry from reality. The cast though was a ragbag of Old Labour thespians. 

I'd recommend it, though, if you have not seen it. 

All the Godfather films (we are not the USA!). Simply never fancied them as, for all their apparent talents, their lead actors aren't amongst my favourites. 

That said, I never used to watch Humphrey Bogart films until one quiet afternoon a year or two ago when I started watching African Queen. What a superb actor!! I've now caught up with most of what he did. 

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

It's a good watch, but remember, it's a work of fiction, a romanticised image of northern life the way some people wanted it to be, rather than how it was. Designed to reinforce the prejudices, it certainly revealed Tomkinson as the great talent he is not. The brass band element was a far cry from reality. The cast though was a ragbag of Old Labour thespians. 

I'd recommend it, though, if you have not seen it. 

I couldn't counter your point not having seen it. But given the depth of my feelings as illustrated on t'other thread, its probably unwise to prod that particular bear.....

It'd only end up stoking more hatred of thatch and id respond to those labour thespians who's view I'm more in tune with.

1 hour ago, Sticklebricks said:

Wow Derwent I think you need to come out of that cave sometime marra ?

I just don’t have the time to watch films, in fact I don’t watch much TV at all to be honest. Got better things to do. But I’ve never “got” the whole superhero genre, it just doesn’t appeal to me at all. 

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

1 hour ago, Number 16 said:

All the Godfather films (we are not the USA!). Simply never fancied them as, for all their apparent talents, their lead actors aren't amongst my favourites. 

That said, I never used to watch Humphrey Bogart films until one quiet afternoon a year or two ago when I started watching African Queen. What a superb actor!! I've now caught up with most of what he did. 

Add all the Godfather films to my list. One day...

The African Queen is a joy, and Bogart's best work is well worth watching. To have and have not is, I think, my favourite. That's the film where Bogart and Bacall first met, and you can tell there's something special between them.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 minutes ago, Derwent said:

I just don’t have the time to watch films, in fact I don’t watch much TV at all to be honest. Got better things to do. But I’ve never “got” the whole superhero genre, it just doesn’t appeal to me at all. 

You don’t seem embarrassed by this ...

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Archived