Who would you choose to be relegated from SL?

Eddie

1 minute ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Shouldn’t run a business relying on it. 

What are you on about ? , It was a conscious decision by the owner to get rid of a seriously underperforming squad of players , which he did , not nice , didn't like it , hope he doesn't do it again , end of 

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

What are you on about ? , It was a conscious decision by the owner to get rid of a seriously underperforming squad of players , which he did , not nice , didn't like it , hope he doesn't do it again , end of 

The way in which he run the club after relegation, planning for Super League money, which wasn’t guaranteed, and then his subsequent behaviour when his side didn’t, forcing people into leaving was despicable. 

Just now, Eddie said:

So you think clubs shouldn’t budget to spend any SL funding? Might as well do away with any contracts over 1 year then. 

No, you shouldn’t budget to receive Super League funding before a ball has been kicked, which Leigh seemingly did. Leigh pretty much did away with contracts over a one year period. 

7 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

The way in which he run the club after relegation, planning for Super League money, which wasn’t guaranteed, and then his subsequent behaviour when his side didn’t, forcing people into leaving was despicable. 

To be fair it wasn't even SL money. It was money based on finishing top 4 in the Championship which they failed to do and resulted in a truly sorry turn of events.

10 minutes ago, Eddie said:

So you think clubs shouldn’t budget to spend any SL funding? Might as well do away with any contracts over 1 year then. 

Hasn't this issue been highlighted by the players' union? I.e. clubs are offering multi-year contracts and then trying to tear them up if the team gets relegated, because the money is no longer there. This is yet another issue with P&R. Clubs have to offer multi-year contracts in order to compete for players, and then can't fulfil them if they get relegated. As has been mentioned before, there ain't enough money in the sport.

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

To be fair it wasn't even SL money. It was money based on finishing top 4 in the Championship which they failed to do and resulted in a truly sorry turn of events.

Correct , and I doubt you'll find anybody who was happy with what happened , including DB , but it seems Oliver wants something or somebody to be crucified over it 

2 minutes ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

Hasn't this issue been highlighted by the players' union? I.e. clubs are offering multi-year contracts and then trying to tear them up if the team gets relegated, because the money is no longer there. This is yet another issue with P&R. Clubs have to offer multi-year contracts in order to compete for players, and then can't fulfil them if they get relegated. As has been mentioned before, there ain't enough money in the sport.

Yes it is an issue , so best to go back to a closed shop and a separate lower tiers 

To get back to the title of this topic my choice would be Wigan, they cheated their way out of it once, their away (or home) following is nothing to worry about losing and they might find out that the world of Rugby League doesn't revolve around them.

The added bonus would be the look on Lenaghans face along with the steam coming out of his ears.

Schadenfreude is the word for it?

44 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

The question would be , how many others would join me ? , attendances dropped by 45% last time 

Didn't some of the bigger attendance figures happen in the period of no relegation,  the figures are only going to improve with the clubs being more successful at marketing event based games not on relegation. 

10 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Didn't some of the bigger attendance figures happen in the period of no relegation,  the figures are only going to improve with the clubs being more successful at marketing event based games not on relegation. 

I was referring to Leigh's attendances , no idea what happened elsewhere 

2 hours ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

No doubt a few, but I've not heard a compelling enough argument to convince me that P&R in its current format is in the sport's best interests.

How about it allows clubs outside of super league the chance to progress?

58 minutes ago, Eddie said:

How about it allows clubs outside of super league the chance to progress?

So does licencing. With the added benefit of clubs being able to put together long-term business plans and long term player recruitment and development plans, without the fear of potential relegation after just one season hanging over them.

8 minutes ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

So does licencing. With the added benefit of clubs being able to put together long-term business plans and long term player recruitment and development plans, without the fear of potential relegation after just one season hanging over them.

Well as I put earlier , attendances dropped last time , by 45% over the 5 years at Leigh 

As I've suggested , if that was to happen I'd want the lower tiers to completely move away from SL and actually take over their own control from the RFL , reorganising the season and even some rules 

That is just about the only thing that might keep me interested 

6 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

He signed them 

Then didn't pay their full contracts 

Pretty bad stuff 

Archived