Who would you choose to be relegated from SL?

Eddie

1 minute ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Our crowds grew rapidly when we moved to the kcom actually, the first few years of super league when we were still at the boulevard they were pretty constant at around 5-6000 before shooting up to 11,000 when we moved to a modern, better located, more visible and let's face it, more appealing stadium. 

You just beat me to it , so you a Hull FC fan ( on the ground so to speak ) have explained why you think the attendance fairly rapidly increased , have you bumped into many ex ' rovers ,' there ?

If you got relegated , and Rovers built a new 40,000 stadium in the east , would you swap ?

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

You just beat me to it , so you a Hull FC fan ( on the ground so to speak ) have explained why you think the attendance fairly rapidly increased , have you bumped into many ex ' rovers ,' there ?

If you got relegated , and Rovers built a new 40,000 stadium in the east , would you swap ?

I have never bumped into any ex rovers fans down the kcom and I would rather chop off my private area and walk around with it stapled to my forehead for the rest of my life than go down rovers. 

1 minute ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I have never bumped into any ex rovers fans down the kcom and I would rather chop off my private area and walk around with it stapled to my forehead for the rest of my life than go down rovers. 

I have heard Rovers fans refer to you and your fellow fans that way in the past ?

1 hour ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

That's a bit disappointing - I thought you were above childish comments and wanted a genuine discussion which is why you kept coming back to it. I'm out.

But didn't you say only the other day, that you had no particular club you support so to speak. That being the case the 'loyalty' thing will not effect you  so how on earth can you have an understanding of it?

31 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

It's weird how Bradford and huddersfield are castigated for going out of their area and how Bradford's bullmania era destroyed keighley but no fans swap clubs.

The game really needs to get out this idea that each club is fighting over a finite number of fans who have always been fans and are either dormant or latent. 

This is actually a very good argument tbh

Bradford certainly got fans from other clubs

27 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Our crowds grew rapidly when we moved to the kcom actually, the first few years of super league when we were still at the boulevard they were pretty constant at around 5-6000 before shooting up to 11,000 when we moved to a modern, better located, more visible and let's face it, more appealing stadium. 

Ditto Warrington.

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

LEEDS best supported team through the turnstiles the figures are testament to that, also worst supported team in terms of demographics i.e. the local populas % of Leeds who care to go.

Cities are naturally different to towns for several reasons, not least migration to the city from the region around it. % becomes much less important when the raw figures are high enough.

Nevertheless I think we have had the discussion before about being blood and soil types with loyalty to clubs. Not everyone is, hence the drop off after a relegation or bad run of results and the upturn associated with success. Whilst most actual active loyalties towards clubs are formed around late teens and into adulthood, as people go independently to games without being taken by a parent for example, the nucleus of support is often made at a much younger age. This explains both why you and I would support our teams how we do, and why a lad who's father supports Wakefield but son wants to go watch the Rhinos could go on to do too; just as happens in football and every other sport. 

By the logic you've been suggesting, Leeds would have gained absolutely zero support from the fans (or former fans or potential fans) of Hunslet or Bramley. Of course this is both obviously and demonstrably false. It is reasonable to assume that Leeds now probably have more fans "south of the river" and into Wakefield than Hunslet ever had for example, as well as pushing north towards Harrogate. Do they all turn up at Headingley every week? No they don't have to! 

Loyalty is an interesting topic. Blind loyalty is rare and perhaps dangerous to one's pocket - emotionally charged support is more common I'd suggest. 

3 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

But didn't you say only the other day, that you had no particular club you support so to speak. That being the case the 'loyalty' thing will not effect you  so how on earth can you have an understanding of it?

4 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Good , as I said , I don't enter into discussions if I don't have any understanding of the subject , certainly not without accepting my limitations at the start 

??? Fair play fellas - you've fished me back in with those classic comments. Priceless! I'm learning all about loyalty from people who say they'll stop supporting their club if they can't get promoted to Super League - that's outstanding loyalty right there! And one of you is refusing to go and support the national team because you don't like the coach!!! Phenomenal loyalty! Remind me to make sure that I've got a pair of loyalists like you either side of me when it's time to go over the top of the trenches!

I'm off to go and learn about loyalty now, because evidently I've been operating under a different definition all these years...

On Tuesday, January 07, 2020 at 14:48, Spidey said:

Warrington - may help them win a Grand Final

Nicely back on topic Spidey and I would have been disappointed if any Chemics fan said different.

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Proud to be a member of the TRL woke claque

On 05/01/2020 at 17:07, Mr Plow said:

Yeah I agree with you about Huddersfield which is a shame as it’s the birthplace of the game. I wonder what would happen if they were relegated, would they still be able to play out of the John Smiths? 

Yes as they are part owners of it !

Archived