Who would you choose to be relegated from SL?

Eddie

27 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

Weren’t there talks of Town buying the stadium outright not long ago?

Only from ignorant town fans who were under the impression it was 'their ground'.

No party can purchase other shares without the agreement of the other's, it will never happen though as the shares are too valuable and all 3 parties need each other.

Saying that i and most of our fans don't like it and would love our own place, unfortunately this will never happen either.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would say Ken Davy owns a share of the stadium and thats not quite the same thing as the Giants owning it, Fair play to him he did own 60% of it but allowed 40% of it to go back to Town too stop them whinging i suspect, Anyway most people would choose them to be relegated it would seem , mostly on the grounds of them having poor crowds, Far as i know they don't have the poorest crowds , they just look to have with the stadium being so big,  some people hate the stadium and prefer the clapped out grounds of some clubs, fair enough  you like what you like.

The one thing you can say for Ken Davy is he has stayed the course, There can't be many owners who have pumped as much money into a club for as little return as he has,  although we have won the hubcap which is more than a lot of clubs have, and been to the CC final a couple of times , still who cares, get him and his club relegated who cares how much money he puts in if the crowds don't look too good on TV .  Having said all that if they don't pick their game up from last season they will be down no matter what people on here would prefer.

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

All I ask is that the team with the smallest number of points gets relegated and replaced by the best team in the Championship.

Pretty basic for any sport - but ours has managed to fail that simple test of its credentials too often in the past.

On 06/01/2020 at 20:35, OZWELDO said:

Giants seem to be favourite for everyone to be cast aside to bring in a different team, New York maybe?

Reason poor attendances (Giants averaged more than both Wakey and Salford last year (3000 more than Salford!!)

They offer nothing to RL however played more homegrown youngsters last season than any other SL team!!

The Giants fans are all hero's, its so so easy to follow a team who have and are winning stuff but not so a team that last won a major trophy over 50 years ago!!!

Have a look at pictures of Fartown in the early days when Huddersfield were succesful and you will see a proper crowd.

Poor atmosphere, went to Warrington, Hull, Wigan, Saints, Leeds, Wakey and many more last season and if booing and begging for penalties is the atmosphere your after your welcome to it. Give me a cowbell and proper unblinkered rugby fans everyday of the week. 

The sleeping Giant (birthplace of the game) will awaken in the not so distant future, mark my words 

It's fashionable to bag Huddersfield on RL forums OZ, always has, we could win the grand final 5 years running and post 10,000 crowds every week and we'd still get bagged.

All this "bring nothing to the game" claptrap is really tedious too.

We "bring" far more than other teams do, we've had far more success than others have and we've also developed far more players than others have!

1 hour ago, meast said:

It's fashionable to bag Huddersfield on RL forums OZ, always has, we could win the grand final 5 years running and post 10,000 crowds every week and we'd still get bagged.

We "bring" far more than other teams do, we've had far more success than others have and we've also developed far more players than others have!

Nah. If you were winning and posting 10k, you'd be treated like the other winners with 5 figure crowds. 

14 hours ago, meast said:

Personally I don’t think HG bring anything less to the sport than the likes of Wakey and Cas, I just prefer seeing and hearing plenty of fans in the stands when I’m watching a game on tv than loads of empty seats (yes I know your crowds are comparable to theirs). 

15 hours ago, meast said:

your crowds have fallen quite a lot.  cas get better crowds playing in a far poorer stadium.  the soccer team gets decent crowds too.  wakeys crowds are similar to yours, again in a poor ground.  i dont know what ken davy can do, hes tried everything to get fans there

On 11/01/2020 at 11:53, Eddie said:

Personally I don’t think HG bring anything less to the sport than the likes of Wakey and Cas, I just prefer seeing and hearing plenty of fans in the stands when I’m watching a game on tv than loads of empty seats (yes I know your crowds are comparable to theirs). 

You mean like Wigan or Hull, both who played games in front of half empty grounds with no atmosphere last season?

The giants have taken a kicking of everyone since SL began for one reason or another - cant win, no away fans, no home fans, cowbell - despite the fact it's generally ###### and lead by lazy journalists and tv pundits who are well past their sell by date.

The giants have a way better track record than half the clubs in SL and this thread is an example of how far up their backsides most so called fans have their heads. 

Rant over.

On topic. P&R is the death of the game. It benefits absolutely nothing to the league and does nothing but consolidate the best players in a few clubs which kills competition. 

Get rid.

9 minutes ago, Ant said:

You mean like Wigan or Hull, both who played games in front of half empty grounds with no atmosphere last season?

The giants have taken a kicking of everyone since SL began for one reason or another - cant win, no away fans, no home fans, cowbell - despite the fact it's generally ###### and lead by lazy journalists and tv pundits who are well past their sell by date.

The giants have a way better track record than half the clubs in SL and this thread is an example of how far up their backsides most so called fans have their heads. 

Rant over.

On topic. P&R is the death of the game. It benefits absolutely nothing to the league and does nothing but consolidate the best players in a few clubs which kills competition. 

Get rid.

Yeah exactly like Wigan and Hull last season. Not sure how you think getting rid of P&R will improve competition though?

12 minutes ago, Ant said:

Rant over.

Get rid.

Surely you can't honestly be putting Wigan and Hull on the same level as Huddersfield can you? 

1 hour ago, Ant said:

Rant over.

Get rid.

I do feel you have a point Ant , all clubs ' contribute ' in different ways , yes you suffer for playing in a ' too big ' stadium , but a very good stadium , you produce players and have ' won ' the league , something several others haven't 

As for your last point , you're entitled to that opinion , and I sort of agree , but to achieve it you cut the dreams of clubs below you , do you believe that to be fair ?

2 hours ago, Ant said:

Rant over.

Get rid.

So get rid of P&R so the likes of Huddersfield Giants are ring fenced and stuff the rest in the Lower Leagues.

51 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

So get rid of P&R so the likes of Huddersfield Giants are ring fenced and stuff the rest in the Lower Leagues.

This is why just ring fencing what we have is so questionable. Some teams will always be up there at the top table but Huddersfield just happened to be in when the music stopped. We have about a dozen teams who could be as big or as good if they happened to be in Super League.

Salford, Huddersfield, HKR, Castleford & Wakefield are interchangeable with Bradford, Featherstone, Halifax, Leigh, London, Toulouse, Widnes & York.

Literally the only thing that separates the 1st 5 from the other 8 is an extra £1.9m of sky money to spend on players. 

To that end, there's a big 7, a middle 13, and a lower 13, finally there's 4 Clubs who can't really contend with the lower 13 who languish at the bottom half of League 1 season after season. 

42 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

Salford, Huddersfield, HKR, Castleford & Wakefield are interchangeable with Bradford, Featherstone, Halifax, Leigh, London, Toulouse, Widnes & York.

Literally the only thing that separates the 1st 5 from the other 8 is an extra £1.9m of sky money to spend on players. 

To that end, there's a big 7, a middle 13, and a lower 13, finally there's 4 Clubs who can't really contend with the lower 13 who languish at the bottom half of League 1 season after season. 

While I sort of get your point (and this really pains me) but I would omit Castleford from that list. They have consistently finished in the Top 5 for a long time now and are one of the 'bigger' SL clubs. 

3 hours ago, Wildcat said:

While I sort of get your point (and this really pains me) but I would omit Castleford from that list. They have consistently finished in the Top 5 for a long time now and are one of the 'bigger' SL clubs. 

Yes but their stadium is poor in comparison to many in the big 7 & middle 13 and their market size is modest (on par with Leigh, Fax, Widnes etc) and they've never been  Champions, factor it together, they are not really a big 7. 

30 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

Yes but their stadium is poor in comparison to many in the big 7 & middle 13 and their market size is modest (on par with Leigh, Fax, Widnes etc) and they've never been  Champions, factor it together, they are not really a big 7. 

Nah They are fine for now.

Always been a decent super league club.

4 hours ago, Smudger06 said:

Not sure I agree. I think us, York, Halifax and Fev are probably lower down than Leigh/Widnes/Bradford. 

The last 3 would be up to around 5000 attendance easy with a SL season or two under their belt

Not sure we, York or Halifax without an extended run of 3 years and bit of success maybe top 3 and/or cup runs.

2 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Not sure I agree. I think us, York, Halifax and Fev are probably lower down than Leigh/Widnes/Bradford. 

The last 3 would be up to around 5000 attendance easy with a SL season or two under their belt

Not sure we, York or Halifax without an extended run of 3 years and bit of success maybe top 3 and/or cup runs.

I’d have thought Widnes would be around 6,000 in their first season back and Bradford closer to 9,000 if they were at Odsal. 

17 hours ago, M j M said:

This is why just ring fencing what we have is so questionable. Some teams will always be up there at the top table but Huddersfield just happened to be in when the music stopped. We have about a dozen teams who could be as big or as good if they happened to be in Super League.

Agreed. Ask the North Sydney Bears what they think of a closed shop top flight. 

On 13/01/2020 at 09:30, Smudger06 said:

This post made me realise that Pro RL is growing in the Northern Hemisphere, because 12-15 years ago there was only a big 4!!!! And a middle 13 with all the remainder in the lower bracket, and no clubs below that lower bracket; now we have the likes of Valencia & Belgrade hoping to join those 4 Clubs presently beneath the lower 13 bracket and the likes of NY & Ottawa potentially moving rapidly into the lower and even the middle bracket. 

Archived