TV coverage in 2020

RobertAM

Wondering what the team will sort out with SKY/CBC/Game TV for our debut in Superleague??

RL seems to be expanding their Our League coverage which is great but I believe that will only cover Championship and League 1 fixtures.

And with the demise of 3B Liberty will Northern Maverick be hosting the viewing get togethers? Fine with me as I live close to NMav and they do a good job.

These are important issues!!!

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wait and see. I'm expecting an announcement next week or just after the preseason game. Sky lost the Catalan coverage, they cannot afford to lose the opportunity to show extra games from TWP. But the question remains who will pay for it? GameTV and CBC won't give any money. I doubt the US broadcasters will pay more than they usually pay. I hope Sportsnet and TSN are interested enough.

More generally, I hope the international streaming service will improve. Talks about considering amazon prime in the future and the success of watchNRL might help. I won't renew watchNRL (at least not for a full year) if Super League offers a decent streaming platform AND includes a least half of Wolfpack games.

After having most of the matches on tv in first 3 years, it would be a bit of a shocker not to have it again this year, now that they are in the big time and also have SBW in the fold.
Hopefully TSN, Sportsnet, or CBC step up to the plate for a long term partnership.
They could produce the Canadian matches and have SKY produce the UK matches, and share the broadcasting of the programs in the respective countries. 

I trust Bob Hunter and David Argyle can work something out.

7 minutes ago, PatrickB said:

After having most of the matches on tv in first 3 years, it would be a bit of a shocker not to have it again this year, now that they are in the big time.
Hopefully TSN, Sportsnet, or CBC step up to the plate for a long term partnership.
They could produce the Canadian matches and have SKY produce the UK matches, and share the results in the respective countries.

I trust Bob Hunter and David Argyle can work something out.

I think its a bit of a ####### contest at the moment...of course the driving unknown fact or is that there is a great interest in the Wolfpack in Australia so this puts pressure on Sky.

2 hours ago, Kayakman said:

I think its a bit of a ####### contest at the moment...of course the driving unknown fact or is that there is a great interest in the Wolfpack in Australia so this puts pressure on Sky.

Canadian broadcasters need to get onboard now, once Ottawa comes in the price should and likely would go up..

On 08/01/2020 at 12:37, RobertAM said:

Canadian broadcasters need to get onboard now, once Ottawa comes in the price should and likely would go up..

League Weekly says the TWP are in talks with TSN to televise all home games. Hope that is true, it would create huge visibility across Canada.

I was really hoping that a deal would also be made for away games. Fingers crossed.

On 05/01/2020 at 09:49, RobertAM said:

And with the demise of 3B Liberty will Northern Maverick be hosting the viewing get togethers? Fine with me as I live close to NMav and they do a good job.

Northern Maverick is a good option for away days, but we really need a Liberty Village establishment to step up for home games pre/post libations. Hopefully the'll be some news soon. Word is that 3Brewers Liberty has been taken over by another brewing company, so that location could still be an option.

1 hour ago, ojx said:

Northern Maverick is a good option for away days, but we really need a Liberty Village establishment to step up for home games pre/post libations. Hopefully the'll be some news soon. Word is that 3Brewers Liberty has been taken over by another brewing company, so that location could still be an option.

They have to do something with the building and a bar seems logical....they would have to change the zoning for condos but it is an option, especially in that neighbourhood.

14 hours ago, ojx said:

League Weekly says the TWP are in talks with TSN to televise all home games. Hope that is true, it would create huge visibility across Canada.

I was really hoping that a deal would also be made for away games. Fingers crossed.

As a season seat holder, it's the away games I'm more interested in to be fair. Although, I recognize the significant value of having homes games televised nation wide on a network like TSN.

6 hours ago, PatrickB said:

As a season seat holder, it's the away games I'm more interested in to be fair. Although, I recognize the significant value of having homes games televised nation wide on a network like TSN.

Likewise!

i would think they would get at least 10,000 more viewers for away games.

my hope is that this really means TSN would produce and broadcast the home games, and then trade those for the right to air the away games with someone who could produce those (Sky?).

Not sure how that would fit with Sportsnet’s current Canadian SL rights...

4 minutes ago, John WP Fan said:

Likewise!

my hope is that this really means TSN would produce and broadcast the home games, and then trade those for the right to air the away games with someone who could produce those (Sky?).

They said in previous articles that sky is the primary owner of tv rights for North America. So I guess sky is selling it to Sportsnet on a yearly basis, meaning that this year can be a different ballgame if tsn offers more. That's my understanding but it's never clear, we have to read between the lines all the time.

2 hours ago, John WP Fan said:

Likewise!

John, what are our options for this Sunday pre-season game?  Wolfpack Twitter or Tigers Twitter I do believe.  What one are you going to park yourself onto?

2 hours ago, manu266 said:

They said in previous articles that sky is the primary owner of tv rights for North America. So I guess sky is selling it to Sportsnet on a yearly basis, meaning that this year can be a different ballgame if tsn offers more. That's my understanding but it's never clear, we have to read between the lines all the time.

I thought that the TWP were buying back the Canadian rights from Sky.

43 minutes ago, Cameron Highlander said:

John, what are our options for this Sunday pre-season game?  Wolfpack Twitter or Tigers Twitter I do believe.  What one are you going to park yourself onto?

Dunno. May just wait for Cas to post the video online and watch the replay. I heard they do this for their friendlies.

That close to the season opener I guess no news is bad news right?

I am trying to check the TV listings for Canada.

Sportsnet World seems to have the Thursday night season opener, but that's it for now.

Someone has more info?

https://www.sthelensreporter.co.uk/sport/rugby/new-venue-to-be-found-for-saints-clash-with-toronto-wolfpack-in-february-1-10215495

Still negotiating with sky and sl for broadcast of home games, so this is a confirmation that away games will be broadcast only if sky are showing them.

Other news: plan to host the kangaroos at BMO in october is taking shape.

And as is posted elsewhere saints game relocated in another London stadium due to Saracens relegation.

11 hours ago, manu266 said:

And as is posted elsewhere saints game relocated in another London stadium due to Saracens relegation.

I am surprised, no, stunned! that we aren't being blamed for this.

What is really crazy to me is just how little value there is in the SKY partnership.  The amount per year is bloody pennies!  

I would personally like to see Super League partner with DAZN for all their games, streaming is the future of sports broadcasting and DAZN would be a great partner.

43 minutes ago, CanadianRugger said:

What is really crazy to me is just how little value there is in the SKY partnership.  The amount per year is bloody pennies!  

I would personally like to see Super League partner with DAZN for all their games, streaming is the future of sports broadcasting and DAZN would be a great partner.

Not a bad idea, but for streaming we need a credible global platform like watchNRL. DAZN is in some countries but it is not an amazon or netflix of sports like they pretend to be.

Middle term I don't see dazn survive alone, they will probably merge with others, maybe with amazon or youtube is they are serious about streaming sports in the future, netflix seems totally disinterested in live sports, they only focus on sport documentaries.

Man, this is frustrating.

After having shown nearly all the matches for 3 years... even from League 1 for god sakes,

we have no news of any TV, home, or away, for this season with 1 week to go.

I expect we will end up with something ... frankly I hope its for the away games more than the home. 

10,000 home fans, I'm sure want an away game package.

1 hour ago, PatrickB said:

Man, this is frustrating.

After having shown nearly all the matches for 3 years... even from League 1 for god sakes,

we have no news of any TV, home, or away, for this season with 1 week to go.

I expect we will end up with something ... frankly I hope its for the away games more than the home. 

10,000 home fans, I'm sure want an away game package.

I think it is the way most things in RL seem to work...they just throw it together at the end....and on a wing and a prayer hope for the best.

The Rugby Gods won't let their chosen club down...they smile upon the Pack...it will come together!

SN channels are busy with pre Super Bowl NHL games on Sunday next weekend, SN World has the Bundesliga, TSN, well, pre Super Bowl shows. Seriously not the best start date for Canada, but I think the Canadian broadcasters are partly to blame here too.

We might have to put up with it in this transition season. Negotiation for a new global contract starts in May. I dont care what they do in their local Northern English market but the future UK broadcaster shouldn't keep any control outside of the UK.

Archived