Which stadium would you prefer?

It seems there are two options every sports team across the country is coming to face, do you sell your old ground (and your soul?) and move to a brand new purpose built facility, or do you rebuild what you have step by step? Or is there a 'third way'? a brand new ground on the site of the old one?

Major examples of the former include Manchester City and Arsenal, in RL its basically all the top clubs west of the Pennines. With regards to the latter you'd see Manchester United and Liverpool as prime examples, with Leeds and Hull KR (even Fev) the main RL proponents. Widnes stand unique in RL iirc to be a side with an entirely new stadium but still on the site of their historic ground similar to Spurs. 

So what would you prefer? Would you want a purpose built new stadium even if its not at your traditional home? For fans of clubs who have made that move, do you in retrospect agree with the choice? If money troubles were a deciding factor in the move would you have chosen differently if they weren't? Has the move been the making of your club? If you didn't want to move would you rather a wholesale rebuild of the ground or a stand by stand development project?

As a fan of 3 sporting teams who have had the potential to move at various times yet have remained, rebuilt and have plans for more, I'm intrigued to know what other clubs' fans think. Stadiums, even specific stands, can form such a large part of the identity of a club and its fans.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

Rebuilding is too expensive.

Leeds could've built a far better ground for much less if they sold headingly for example 

They could've even bought elland rd for 8 million pounds but because it's in South Leeds that's a no no 

And miss out on that sweet, sweet Test match cricket hospitality dollar? 

Elland Road wouldn't be the right venue for the Rhinos in my view (too big, too expensive to maintain, poor spectator comfort and the corporate facilities aren't as good as what's at Headingley) and finding land for a new stadium in North Leeds isn't going to happen. If the wealthy kick-up-a-stinks are going to object to a John Lewis opening up within ear-shot, they're not going to stay quiet about the prospect of a RL club moving in. 

51 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

And miss out on that sweet, sweet Test match cricket hospitality dollar? 

Elland Road wouldn't be the right venue for the Rhinos in my view (too big, too expensive to maintain, poor spectator comfort and the corporate facilities aren't as good as what's at Headingley) and finding land for a new stadium in North Leeds isn't going to happen. If the wealthy kick-up-a-stinks are going to object to a John Lewis opening up within ear-shot, they're not going to stay quiet about the prospect of a RL club moving in. 

Cost of headingly all up.50 million?

And still.western terrace is bare and capacity is under 20k.

Saddled.rhe club with large debts 

Replace once a year test match revenue vs Leeds.united rent 

Would've got a 40k.capaicty stadium for one quarter the cost of a ground half the capacity 

And a new stadium didn't have to be in north Leeds lol. Embrace the whole city since hunslet are no longer a real force 

There has been alot of opponents to the new Stadium being built at York but thats mainly from York City FC fans/joint Knights fans. Personally i cant wait to get into the new stadium, it has facilities that you could only dream of at Bootham Crescent/old Huntington Stadium and in theory the Knights are returning home too. All the revenue add-ons are great (Cinema/Bowling/Starbucks/restaurants etc) 

Just now, HarrogateKnights said:

There has been alot of opponents to the new Stadium being built at York but thats mainly from York City FC fans/joint Knights fans. Personally i cant wait to get into the new stadium, it has facilities that you could only dream of at Bootham Crescent/old Huntington Stadium and in theory the Knights are returning home too. All the revenue add-ons are great (Cinema/Bowling/Starbucks/restaurants etc) 

But no standing area 

2 minutes ago, HarrogateKnights said:

Is it built on your old ground? What's the bit about revenue add ons? Doesn't that go to whoever owns the stadium?

13 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Rebuilding on the same site is preferable for fans in most cases, but is rarely financially viable. I can’t stand out of town grounds though. 

Rebuilding elsewhere certainly didn't work for Salford 

No true, they have "investgated the possibility of safe standing" whatever that means personally i like to sit down for most of it as knees are done in

It's because my knees are done I prefer standing , but it still isn't a ' standing ' stand , it's just being allowed to stand at your seat , which will just cause trouble for those seated 

Just now, aj1908 said:

Is it built on your old ground? What's the bit about revenue add ons? Doesn't that go to whoever owns the stadium?

Its built on the old site of Huntington stadium where the Knights played after they reformed from York Wasps. The Knights get part of the revenue from the other income and it will be used to offset the running of the stadium. 

Its built on the old site of Huntington stadium where the Knights played after they reformed from York Wasps. The Knights get part of the revenue from the other income and it will be used to offset the running of the stadium. 

Sounds like a great deal.  Good luck 

6 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

It's because my knees are done I prefer standing , but it still isn't a ' standing ' stand , it's just being allowed to stand at your seat , which will just cause trouble for those seated 

That's safe standing 

The seat gets locked into that position the whole game.  It's like an old terrace in a sense

Screenshot_20200106-225541_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200106-225537_Chrome.jpg

1 minute ago, HarrogateKnights said:

Thanks yeah i am sure it will take a little while to iron out the usual teething problems but other than that should be a great venture. 

York always had potential.  I remember ten years ago they were getting 2k crowds in division  three then got promoted and I think got 3k crowds 

1 minute ago, aj1908 said:

York always had potential.  I remember ten years ago they were getting 2k crowds in division  three then got promoted and I think got 3k crowds 

Yeah there is huge potential and only professional Rugby league club in North Yorkshire (part-time players still) so a huge area to tap into and work still to be done we are developing at a sustainable pace and Jon Flatman (Chairman) and James Ford (Full time) are switched on 

20 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

Cost of headingly all up.50 million?

And still.western terrace is bare and capacity is under 20k.

Saddled.rhe club with large debts 

Replace once a year test match revenue with Leeds.united rent 

Would've got a 40k.capaicty stadium for one quarter the cost of a ground half the capacity 

And a new stadium didn't have to be in north Leeds lol. Embrace the whole city since hunslet are no longer a real force 

Headingley hasn't cost the Rhinos £50m.

The East Stand was, IIRC correctly, primarily funded by Leeds Met/Carnegie University.

The funding for the South and shared stands has come from various funding sources, some of which from the club's own funds, but many of them that were only available because Leeds City Council were willing to support efforts to keep Test cricket in the city. The borrowing that the club / council has taken on via Legal and General is much more cost effective and lower risk than I suspect the finance for an £8m (I'll take your word that's the actual figure) purchase of Elland Road would have involved (even assuming the club could have secured such finance in the early/mid 00's). 

What the club have ended up with is a venue that's popular, is surrounded by amenities that improve the overall matchday experience, is relatively low-cost to maintain and generates a hell of a lot of cash. That suits me. 

Yeah there is huge potential and only professional Rugby league club in North Yorkshire (part-time players still) so a huge area to tap into and work still to be done we are developing at a sustainable pace and Jon Flatman (Chairman) and James Ford (Full time) are switched on 

I hope you make super league.  Early days of course. No point trying to go too fast and undoing the good work 

2 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

Headingley hasn't cost the Rhinos £50m.

The East Stand was, IIRC correctly, primarily funded by Leeds Met/Carnegie University.

The funding for the South and shared stands has come from various funding sources, some of which from the club's own funds, but many of them that were only available because Leeds City Council were willing to support efforts to keep Test cricket in the city. The borrowing that has taken on via Legal and General is much more cost effective than I suspect the finance for an £8m (I'll take your word that's the actual figure) purchase of Elland Road would have involved (even assuming the club could have secured such finance in the early/mid 00's). 

What the club have ended up with is a venue that's popular, is surrounded by amenities that improve the overall matchday experience, is relatively low-cost to maintain and generates a hell of a lot of cash. That suits me. 

Cost is cost.  Loans have to be repaid.  And now the club doesn't even own all the ground.

Just my opinion I think it's a poor outcome.  

And you should.be pushed for a two tiered south stand.

Held the council to ransom and said if we don't get that we don't want to do the north stand ie bye bye cricket.

It was largely.done to benefit cricket 

22 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

Cost is cost.  Loans have to be repaid.  And now the club doesn't even own all the ground.

Just my opinion I think it's a poor outcome.  

And you should.be pushed for a two tiered south stand.

Held the council to ransom and said if we don't get that we don't want to do the north stand ie bye bye cricket.

It was largely.done to benefit cricket 

That couldn't happen - planning restrictions wouldn't allow it due to the local residents sightlines and light being negatively impacted, I believe 

I’d have never left Knowsley Road purely for what it stands for and the history and nostalgia around the old place. However, we couldn’t continue there in its guise. Times move on and we had to move. Langtree Park is alright, it’s situated in a better place than Knowsley Road, it’s bigger and the non-matchday income it can generate is important to the club. While it’s not perfect and there’s things I’d have liked to have incorporated into the stadium when it was built, it’s a major asset. 

6 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

I’d have never left Knowsley Road purely for what it stands for and the history and nostalgia around the old place. However, we couldn’t continue there in its guise. Times move on and we had to move. Langtree Park is alright, it’s situated in a better place than Knowsley Road, it’s bigger and the non-matchday income it can generate is important to the club. While it’s not perfect and there’s things I’d have liked to have incorporated into the stadium when it was built, it’s a major asset. 

Why it looks a fantastic ground 

Been to kr.

14 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

Why it looks a fantastic ground 

Been to kr.

My main gripe is probably the councourses. They’re just cold and grey cinder blocked nothingness, really. It’s just minor details but I’d like to have it with the history of the club on the walls and for it to be a bit more welcoming. 

Archived