scotchy1

championship streaming and the future

2 minutes ago, Marty Funkhouser said:

100 million quid a year...who needs SKY (or CVC)?

Combine this with your 9's idea Scotchy and you'll soon be able to buy out Murdoch et al, pay off Headingley, buy and refurb Elland Road and build every SL club a new ground..

I mean, i didnt say everyone would pay the same price (and i did say that it would be for more than just a subscription)

But i am interested in what we are buying Murdoch out from?

8 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Probably because the only people watching where from Oldham and Newcastle , so which other L1 or Championship clubs care going to get many more ?

Serious questions

Championship club fans , are you going to watch 2 other teams than your own being streamed on Sunday nights at 6.30 ?

SL fans , are you going to watch a L1 or Championship match bring streamed at 6.30 on Sunday nights at 6.30 ?

All RL fans , would you watch a L1 and Championship highlights show with a featured game from both leagues and the trys from the rest if you could tune in any time on YouTube or the like ?

Honest answers only please 

depends how it was streamed.

12 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Probably because the only people watching where from Oldham and Newcastle , so which other L1 or Championship clubs care going to get many more ?

Serious questions

Championship club fans , are you going to watch 2 other teams than your own being streamed on Sunday nights at 6.30 ?

SL fans , are you going to watch a L1 or Championship match bring streamed at 6.30 on Sunday nights at 6.30 ?

All RL fans , would you watch a L1 and Championship highlights show with a featured game from both leagues and the trys from the rest if you could tune in any time on YouTube or the like ?

Honest answers only please 

Didn’t watch a full game on Our League in 2019. I watched one half of one game all year. I would probably watch a Championship Grand Final if it wasn’t shown on Sky.

Would I watch a highlights show? Probably not based off how much I watched Our League in 2019. 

Just now, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Didn’t watch a full game on Our League in 2019. I watched one half of one game all year. I would probably watch a Championship Grand Final if it wasn’t shown on Sky.

Would I watch a highlights show? Probably not based off how much I watched Our League in 2019. 

But you do watch SL I take it ?

Just now, GUBRATS said:

But you do watch SL I take it ?

Yes. Watch all Saints games first and foremost, being based at the other end of the country, watch whatever else takes my fancy (admittedly sometimes a Huddersfield v Wakefield game on a Thursday night doesn’t quite do it for me) and attempt to watch the NRL on a weekend morning and record some if I’m desperate to see them and record all State of Origin games, as I’m at work. 

If the lower leagues were on TV, I’d probably watch them too but I’m not a huge fan of watching live sport on my phone or laptop. 

9 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

I mean, i didnt say everyone would pay the same price (and i did say that it would be for more than just a subscription)

But i am interested in what we are buying Murdoch out from?

Murdoch and his boys were (hence "et al") in charge of Sky when the game got itself tied into the broadcaster for its full time clubs existence.

With your soon to be realised riches we can free ourselves from this restrictive and future-less dependency.

1 minute ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Yes. Watch all Saints games first and foremost, being based at the other end of the country, watch whatever else takes my fancy (admittedly sometimes a Huddersfield v Wakefield game on a Thursday night doesn’t quite do it for me) and attempt to watch the NRL on a weekend morning and record some if I’m desperate to see them and record all State of Origin games, as I’m at work. 

If the lower leagues were on TV, I’d probably watch them too but I’m not a huge fan of watching live sport on my phone or laptop. 

That's part of my point , overall SL club fans aren't that interested in the lower tiers till it come to a promotion final , certainly not ' low key ' games , the people who might be interested in enough numbers are the fans of the other L1 and Championship clubs , but again , sitting through 2 hours of streaming , when the game might well be over after 30 minutes just won't drag the numbers in 

Target all the L1 and Championship clubs via a highlights and you might just get enough to make something worthwhile 

7 minutes ago, Marty Funkhouser said:

Murdoch and his boys were (hence "et al") in charge of Sky when the game got itself tied into the broadcaster for its full time clubs existence.

With your soon to be realised riches we can free ourselves from this restrictive and future-less dependency.

Murdoch is no longer involved in Sky, Sky are a customer of SL. I dont know why you think they will have to buy them out for anything?

9 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Murdoch is no longer involved in Sky, Sky are a customer of SL. I dont know why you think they will have to buy them out for anything?

If you read posts carefully.

"Were" is past tense...the game is tied into a very restrictive contract(until the end of 2021 currently) with the "customer" Sky that the "customer" dictates the price for. This "customer" also dictates how and when we can present the sport to other customers, most crucially the paying spectator, amongst many other things.  We have no other "customer" willing to pay anywhere near that "customers" price  even if it decides to unilaterally reduce it substantially.

Your £100 million a year enables us to ditch SKY, preferably immediately,  and have full, unlimited freedom over the sport in all its forms.

Wins all round...get on with it.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Marty Funkhouser said:

If you read posts carefully.

"Were" is past tense...the game is tied into a very restrictive contract(until the end of 2021 currently) with the "customer" Sky that the "customer" dictates the price for. This "customer" also dictates how and when we can present the sport to other customers, most crucially the paying spectator, amongst many other things.  We have no other "customer" willing to pay anywhere near that "customers" price  even if it decides to unilaterally reduce it substantially.

Your £100 million a year enables us to ditch SKY, preferably immediately,  and have full, unlimited freedom over the sport in all its forms.

Wins all round...get on with it.

Nope, you said we could go with OurLeague and ditch sky and use that money to buy out Murdoch.

So you managed to both misunderstand the suggestion, then you @@@@ed up the attempted dig at it.

Other than that, top posting Marty.

1 minute ago, scotchy1 said:

Nope, you said we could go with OurLeague and ditch sky and use that money to buy out Murdoch.

So you managed to both misunderstand the suggestion, then you @@@@ed up the attempted dig at it.

Other than that, top posting Marty.

Keep shovelling...

• Haha 1

It is no surprise that the figures were low for last year's games, even the rugbyleagueontv.org site couldn't keep up with the sporadic nature of broadcasts. 

It is good to see it being taken much more seriously this year and that Sunday evening slot for TV games is a very good one. Looking through the lists there are some attractive fixtures. I didn't watch any last year, I'll certainly be watching a few this year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

The other question ?

It very much depends on how professional and well-presented a highlights show would be. I do occasionally watch Rugby AM, for instance, but not often, as it is a programme that looks cheap, despite the undeniable enthusiasm.

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

17 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

I don't believe they will get any paying deal at all , no matter what they do , I do believe they could collectively get income streams by having their total content broadcast not live , we will disagree on this 

Thats fair enough. I don't think you can blame them for trying.

It depends.. are you trying to attract new fans or service existing fans? 

Two very different strategies. 

New fans: demonstrate that 10,000 will watch and move it to amazon/facebook/sportsflick and hope their existing subscribers will watch. 

Existing fans: regularity and consistency. 6pm on a sunday. Everyone will learn quick. 

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

Thats fair enough. I don't think you can blame them for trying.

If I thought they had a genuine plan , I'd applaud it , but I don't think they have , you cannot treat SL and the lower tiers the same , they are different , they need different approaches 

Back in 2004 they introduced a salary cap to the lower tiers , they essentially just swapped the title ( changed the wording SL to Leave 1 as it was then ) and the amounts ( 1.6 mill to 250 k ) and said this is it , they did no due diligence on the differences between full time and part time players , they stated players couldn't work for club directors ( when many did to be able to get time off to train and play ) , and wanted to include community work in the cap ( when they were encouraging clubs to have community depts ) , they made no dispensation for player coaches ( which has been a common occurrence as long as we have had RL , with top retiring players moving down to play and cut their teeth as coaches 

This looks to me as something similar , lower tier clubs need to be more integrated into the local communities as that is where their support will be more than the bigger town and city clubs , I don't believe streaming live is how best to achieve this 

I think a highlights programme is too small and doesnt really address the world we live in right now.

Would you pay say £80 a month for your season ticket, premium tickets for England games, your clubs shirt, and England shirt, magic ticket and CC final ticket and an OurLeague type subscription that screeed SL, (in addition to what's on Sky or replacement tv deal, Championship, L1, CC, none england internationals, 9s etc and content currently on watch NRL like NRL and lower league aus RL, plus related SL content, highlights, discussion shows  documentaries, build up etc. 

4 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

I think a highlights programme is too small and doesnt really address the world we live in right now.

Would you pay say £80 a month for your season ticket, premium tickets for England games, your clubs shirt, and England shirt, magic ticket and CC final ticket and an OurLeague type subscription that screeed SL, (in addition to what's on Sky or replacement tv deal, Championship, L1, CC, none england internationals, 9s etc and content currently on watch NRL like NRL and lower league aus RL, plus related SL content, highlights, discussion shows  documentaries, build up etc. 

No 

Just now, GUBRATS said:

No 

So you wouldnt pay roughly what it costs for a full sky package for more RL content including a season ticket?

3 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

So you wouldnt pay roughly what it costs for a full sky package for more RL content including a season ticket?

I have SKY for more than RL , I have more than enough RL shirts , not bothered about the CC or magic unless my clubs playing in it , and I might make 1 England game if it suits near the time , not interested in the NRL or lower tier RL , if I want more RL than watching my team and a couple of SL games a week I'll nip down to East's or Miners 

So no , others might feel different 

Edited by GUBRATS

Just now, GUBRATS said:

I have SKY for more than RL , I have more than enough RL shirts , not bothered about the CC or magic unless my clubs playing in it , and I might make 1 England game if it suits near the time 

So no , others might feel different 

So would you pay say £50 a month for you season ticket and OurLeague subscription that showed that content.

1 minute ago, scotchy1 said:

So would you pay say £50 a month for you season ticket and OurLeague subscription that showed that content.

No , I have little interest in most of that content 

Just now, GUBRATS said:

No , I have little interest in most of that content 

No interest in championship RL? The challenge cup? 

I mean if you have no interest in RL it would be very difficult to monetise your lack of interest in RL in any way. You arent going to buy anything so theres nothing that can be targeted at you as a customer

15 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Right come on people , this is the question , let's see your answers ?