Favourite NRL Team

Eddie

12 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

I'm glad you listen.

Sometimes it is hard to be constantly optimistic about all aspects of Rugby League, but I do try.

I stopped, I won’t lie. There’s only so much negativity you can handle in one go. I don’t want the whole “positive RL” guff that Harrison and that contradictory Bradford  fan force down your throat but the TotalRL podcast had to go too. 

I follow Melbourne Storm.

When deciding which NRL club to cheer on I found their fans very helpful and generous when I made contact via the then  Bai Standers Forum. They sent me year books and small items. I made some good friends among them and after that looked no further.

I appreciate other clubs who play in an exciting way. I’ve enjoyed watching Raiders in 2019 especially. I always watched Souths when they had a full contingent of Burgesses and Greg Inglis.

I enjoyed watching Roosters last season as I really rated Cooper Cronk, having met him when he came to the UK with Storm in one of their World Club Challenge years,  training at Featherstone Rovers ground. Nice chap.

Oh and they play the ball properly in the NRL

I watch NRL via the WatchNRL streaming service.

The first team I noticed was Parramatta 1982 style ... my father in law brought me a shirt from his first trip to Australia... we the visited relatives in 1990 who were living near West’s home territory in Campbeltown and I watched Norths v Wests at North Sydney Oval... however when we moved to Sydney in 2008 we rented near Sutherland ... just a few minutes drive from the Sharks Ground and we became family members... so for the last 12 years Cronulla have been my NRL team... but a long long way behind Trinity in my affections ? 

Roosters,my parents bought me the City Ford sponsored shirt in the 80s,first saw them live at the Reebok in 2003 when they smashed Saints although the 2 times I've attended NRL games they were beaten,most memorably in golden point by the Broncos at Suncorp in 2015 in a classic.

14 minutes ago, UxbridgeBunny said:

Fairly obviously from my username souths. I lived in Oz for a year 2009-2010 and got dragged along to souths games by a lass and really got into it, especially when they ended up with the 4 burgess boys 

The 2014 grand final was amazing.  I was there to watch history being made.

6 hours ago, UxbridgeBunny said:

Fairly obviously from my username souths. I lived in Oz for a year 2009-2010 and got dragged along to souths games by a lass and really got into it, especially when they ended up with the 4 burgess boys 

YOU got dragged to a game by a Lass... good work... hope you kept hold of her.. or at least had hold of her for a short while.. 

Watched Aussie RL as a neutral for a long time. Then started cheering for Souths, thanks to some close friends from Maroubra.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

8 hours ago, UxbridgeBunny said:

I hope she didn't make you drink beer at the game as well.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

On 08/01/2020 at 10:27, Eddie said:

Do many of you (non-Aussies) follow the NRL and if so do you have a favourite team? Who are they and why? 

Yes, I follow South Sydney.

When I was a wee-un my Dad's mate brought back a Parra, Manly, and Souths jersey and gave them to my Dad who gave them to me, my brother, and sister.

The shirt was the old thick cotton one with Smith's Crisps printed across the front - it must be almost as old as me. 

When I began watching the NRL had to  have a team to follow. Settled on Cronulla for the simple reason I loved the club song Then a couple of years ago whilst searching their on line shop up popped we do not ship to an eu  country so that ended that. Anyhow,most of my NRL apparel  I  now get from DHGate 

As I have studied more and more of the history  of Australian  Rugby League I know I would have been a Balmain fan..

Nowadays just watch the game with no particular favourite  tho I hope Holbrook can turn the Titans fortunes around. 

Origin I pin my support to Queensland.

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Doggies now but before that the Bears, disgrace how they were treated. Doggies now when NRL is on. Relative over there is a Dragons fan and a mate is Manly. He was over here on holiday first time I met him, got introduced and he had a Manly shirt on. I said you follow the silver tails. He's like how do you know that name, I'm in Scotland, he says your taking the ######, we started talking League. He still thought it was a wind up. I said what about when the Kiwis nilled you at Elland  Road in the final great night you should have seen his face. He's been over twice since love ripping into him about Manly.

I am a New Zealander now living in the USA. The Sydney Roosters have pretty much always been my team since the mid-90s but I did always have a soft spot for the North Sydney Bears and dream of them one day returning.

Archived