Sign in to follow this  
jannerboyuk

RLWC 2021 to take place at Buckingham Palace

4 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Went over to the Australian sites to see if it got a mention. The sports section of SMH and Fox Sports sites gave it 0 coverage despite the World Champions finding out their opponents. Shame.

Yes, it's disappointing. 

When you go to the SMH and Fox Sports web sites and their Rugby League section is actually headed 'NRL' you get an idea of where their priorities lie.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Yes, it's disappointing. 

When you go to the SMH and Fox Sports web sites and their Rugby League section is actually headed 'NRL' you get an idea of where their priorities lie.

Yes. And it will only change when they've been given a Basil Fawlty 'good, hard thrashing' by England.

1 hour ago, graveyard johnny said:

just would rather have offiah or hanley or Sculthorpe involved not players known better  for puling on the rah rah jersey and kicking rl in the teeth- LEAGUE FOREVER- UNION NEVER

I think of Robinson as a league player and always will. 

Also in London the evening standard sort of covered it using the Prince Harry angle but nothing in the Sports section. The good news was that some lads at work asked me about it and once I also told them about the Australia game at White Heart Lane this November they actually booked some tickets under the guise of why not...... interestingly these Southern lads never mentioned ticket prices.......

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

I think of Robinson as a league player and always will. 

Also in London the evening standard sort of covered it using the Prince Harry angle but nothing in the Sports section. The good news was that some lads at work asked me about it and once I also told them about the Australia game at White Heart Lane this November they actually booked some tickets under the guise of why not...... interestingly these Southern lads never mentioned ticket prices.......

If they didn't fly into an immediate raging fury that the tickets were simultaneously too cheap and too expensive, they're not "proper" Rugby League folk. :kolobok_wink:

Edited by Futtocks
  • Haha 2

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

53 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Wonderful wonderful occasion. Just watched a replay and this is absolutely unprecedented coverage - albeit with a stroke of fortune due to current events.

Went over to the Australian sites to see if it got a mention. The sports section of SMH and Fox Sports sites gave it 0 coverage despite the World Champions finding out their opponents. Shame.

Most of the journos aren't posting stories now anyway other than the interns.  it's cricket and tennis season nobody is thinking about league right.now

Covered on the BBC news just now. Story was naturally about Harry and what he was doing (making the draw). No mention of the draw and the groups though.

journos present were shouting questions about him and his missus. 

We'll see if we get a mention on the sports round up.

Edited by EastLondonMike

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

11 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

If they didn't fly into an immediate raging fury that the tickets were simultaneously too cheap and too expensive, they're not "proper" Rugby League folk. :kolobok_wink:

Define "proper " RL folk?

Edited by Bartholemew Smythe

We`re on a road to Nowhere.......................

1 minute ago, Bartholemew Smythe said:

Or that they`re very well paid Oiks but I get your dig at the Northern RL Fan !!! 

It isn't the money, it's the principle, damn it! :kolobok_biggrin:

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

1 minute ago, Futtocks said:

The principle being what exactly?

2 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

We`re on a road to Nowhere.......................

1 minute ago, Bartholemew Smythe said:

The principle being what exactly?

5 minutes ago, Heritage XIII said:

For me this makes the lack of any mention of the world cup draw in their sports section at all even worse.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

For me this makes the lack of any mention of the world cup draw in their sports section at all even worse.

At this stage we should take anything. It appears the draw is making its way into social pages of news outlets, perhaps a new audience for the sport!? This one is particularly good as it says "he watched children play rugby league at Bucks Palace", plus mentions he took over from the Queen as patron of RFL after 64 years! etc 

https://honey.nine.com.au/royals/prince-harry-first-public-engagement-sussex-step-back-senior-royals-announcement/ba5eac3f-486c-47ec-b315-f3225cf1991c?ocid=Social-9News&fbclid=IwAR07Fg1mMbGWb_X2jB-jqBRXGLAB89JhhTGGW0PXlgvwdQqVnwAPE2ox7bA

11 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Frankly who cares about the Australians when The Times et al are giving unprecedented ‘front-of-book’ coverage to the Rugby League World Cup? 

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/prince-harry-makes-first-public-appearance-since-royal-crisis-cwz37l2g6

That's what i thought but scubby always like a chance to get into the nrl 

• Like 1

The hate filled, racist phucktard Katie Hopkins has piled in with some nonsense about p1ss1ng on our chips. At least she has given the game a bit more publicity. 

Hard to believe she is only six years older than Megan Markle.

Look Aussies are nrl obsessed that won't change I be fairly reluctant to hold event in 2025 there in full. 

Uk just do the event better understand it and history. Can't wait for opener and one hopefully SBW in samoa colours.

New nations in Jamaica and Greece add new element and brazil in woman's. Hope at some stage we see an African nations go through. 

Tonga big show if ever one fit but I think hosts will be strong. Fingers crossed France can do something I only see this happening if there able to pick long term imports otherwise out the door. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, RL does what Sky says said:

No.. you are !  I never said it was wrong for Robinson to do the draw (yes that would be negative), I just asked if it might have been better to have someone better-known for his RL involvement.  You have seemingly read into it to find something which is not there.  There is a difference between being "negative" and being "not positive" ... yes my original comment maybe was the latter but certainly not the former.

No you are...  

Childishness aside... it's not just me that's saying this.. you're picking holes in something that doesn't need to be picked... he is a good face for it and he did a good job.. you were being negative because the first thing mentioned is "couldn't hey have found someone else" it's the typical knee jerk reaction to this sort of thing. He is an ex RL player who has been a great of the game.. 

look at all the positivity coming from this and no mention of "ex rugby union great" it's all about his league exploits from what I have seen... he could easily have said, when asked by dave woods about getting so close to lifting the world cup, "I did get ome on the other code though" but hes not an idiot so all is fine and he knows why he is there.  

Anyway I'm fed up of utter negativity around the world cup and rugby league as a whole.. not far off quitting the forum again as its depressing that anything positive is twisted every single time to either negative or your brand new "not negative" not positive loop hole ..  so I shall leave this here.

Edited by RP London
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Dunbar said:

What the organisers of this world cup have realised (which is obvious but our sport hasn't excelled at that) is that you need to sell the event and not just the sport.

Rugby League fans will go to the Rugby League World Cup but non RL fans will also come if they think it is a big event and we are setting that tone.

Yes... I have quite a few people asking me which game is in sheffield at the moment... last count, if the interest stays, I could end up with 50 adults and kids just from the people asking me yesterday!!! Get the tickets on sale quick! 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RP London said:

Yes... I have quite a few people asking me which game is in sheffield at the moment... last count, if the interest stays, I could end up with 50 adults and kids just from the people asking me yesterday!!! Get the tickets on sale quick! 

What I like about what the organisers are doing (among many things) is that they are building momentum. Each step of the process, like the announcement of the stadia and the draw, has been an event in its own right and in between they are backing this up with high quality and innovative social media updates. 

If this is anything to go by, I would say that the interest in the competition will absolutely stay.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

What I like about what the organisers are doing (among many things) is that they are building momentum. Each step of the process, like the announcement of the stadia and the draw, has been an event in its own right and in between they are backing this up with high quality and innovative social media updates. 

If this is anything to go by, I would say that the interest in the competition will absolutely stay.

its clear there is so much more demand for international rugby league in england than australia.  perhaps this will help the game in england a lot as more nations move from tier 2 to tier one.

i dont know why tonga and samoa dont tour england for example.  id have a tri nations type event with them and england.

JT is imo more of a draw than any australian player.

the nrl really needs to work on png, samoa, fiji and the cook islands.

i dont know why the players association negotiated for kangaroos players to get 20k per test match and not other nrl players.  the nrl should pay all test players the same, and provide enough monetary support for a proper coaching set up including backroom.

for a small outlay in the scheme of things these nations could mean we have close to 8 tier one nations.

Edited by aj1908

16 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Will they have any Aussies playing for them?

Nope, they'll have heritage qualifying Greeks - come on Harry you know that 😏

Jason Demetriou, Korkidas, Anasta all pulling their boots on i've heard.....

I jest but yeah with over 400,000 Australian-Greeks I'm sure it'll be some side they put together. 

• Like 1

Quite a bit of stuff like this in my Twitter timeline today. Relentless positivity, and not a single negative word.

It seems the only negative folk are some rugby league fans. 

Those Maori blokes must be a nightmare to get suits to fit... 

• Like 5

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"