Ronan michael to spend 2020 with Canberra

Great to see this pathway in place. There’s now a genuine pathway for Irish youngsters, through the youth rep grades there, to student level or if good enough to SL academy level and then a link here to Australia for a year. Hope he’s a real success and can lay the platform for others to follow in his footsteps 

Great credit must go to Peter Mullholland at Canberra and Andy Kelly at Huddersfield for arranging this particular part of the partnership between these clubs

Ronan won’t be the last to go over there and I suspect there could be the odd young player flying in the opposite direction too.

Its another ‘pathway’ for young players in addition to Reserves, Dual Reg or early SL opportunities, that has to be beneficial and can only be seen as a good thing.

Ronan is a great lad and deserves this, he's a young kid who paid his own air fare to come over for an academy trial and has now earned a professional contract/is a regular international/training with one of the world's top clubs.

Not bad for a kid from a country with not much RL heritage - Any kid in Ireland or any other country should use Ronan as an example of what can be achieved if you want it !!

Good story, be great if this leads to a professional career in the Super League or NRL for Ronan, not to mention a home grown professional playing for Ireland national side.

Do Super League Clubs scout National age grade European rep sides of Ireland, Scotland, Wales, France, Serbia etc? As its an obvious place to look for talented players that can be developed to Super League standard.

Does anyone know how Brian Carney made his way into Super League? I heard he played for Ireland students & ended up playing for  Hull? did Hull contact him and sign him directly from the Irish Students side or did he have to contact them seeking a contract or did he play in a trial game?

31 minutes ago, kiwis 13 6 said:

Does anyone know how Brian Carney made his way into Super League? I heard he played for Ireland students & ended up playing for  Hull? did Hull contact him and sign him directly from the Irish Students side or did he have to contact them seeking a contract or did he play in a trial game?

Carney originally signed with Gateshead. He began playing with Dublin Blues for fun, and got picked for the Ireland Students side. Presumably someone from Gateshead was scouting the student matches.

Is Ronan Micheal the 1st homegrown Irish developed player to sign a Super League/NRL full time professional contract since Brian Carney? I seem to remember hearing that some Irish developed players had signed for Championship 1 sides before maybe for Coventry? but that would've only been part time contracts.

8 hours ago, kiwis 13 6 said:

Is Ronan Micheal the 1st homegrown Irish developed player to sign a Super League/NRL full time professional contract since Brian Carney? I seem to remember hearing that some Irish developed players had signed for Championship 1 sides before maybe for Coventry? but that would've only been part time contracts.

I can't think of any other players since Carney who have gotten full-time contracts. But there have been a few who have gotten part-time contracts, particularly with Sheffield and Coventry.

Peter Ryan -Coventry bears (playing )
Mikey Russell -Coventry bears (playing )
Wayne Kerr -oldham /London skolars (retired)
James Kelly -Sheffield eagles ,London skolars ,Coventry bears (playing )
Casey Dunne -London skolars (retired )
Aaron Ryan -Coventry bears (playing )
Matthew Hadden -rochdale hornets ,Oxford (playing )
Stevie gibbons -oldham ,London skolars (retired)
Graham o keefe -Gloucester ,Oxford (playing )
Fiach Millward -Coventry bears (playing )
Jj Baird -Oxford (retired )
Kenny Calladine -Oxford (retired)
Carl de chenu -Sheffield eagles,Carl de chenu (retired)
(James mulvaney -signing for Sheffield eagles -playing )

Archived