Tony Gigot

Just now, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Would be an odd signing for Leeds because barring injuries he wouldn't be anywhere near FB the halves or centre. Might do a job on the wing but I doubt he's be up for that. 

Really? When fit and playing well he is a good as any spine player on Leeds' books barring Luke Gale. I would have a firing Gigot over Myler, Lui and Walker every day of the week.

The risk is which Gigot will turn up if signed - not if the guy has talent. Only he has the answer to that.

54 minutes ago, winnyason said:

Yeah centre possibly have a hunch he end up at Toulouse maybe but even there covered well at 6 and 1. 

He would be a good signing for TO, he could slot in at centre where I think they're a bit short and also half back, I don't agree that they are well covered at half back. Jonathon Ford cannot tackle and he's been exposed a few times in big crucial games. Also, in these big games they've lacked direction from the halves and this is where Gigot could slot in really well. 

58 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Really? When fit and playing well he is a good as any spine player on Leeds' books barring Luke Gale. I would have a firing Gigot over Myler, Lui and Walker every day of the week.

The risk is which Gigot will turn up if signed - not if the guy has talent. Only he has the answer to that.

I agree, on his day he's better than Myler but he'd be hard pushed to displace Walker at FB and with Leeds looking a lot more structured in the halves now, Lui's style suits a lot more than Gigot. I'm certainly not saying I wouldn't have him at Leeds I just think he'd be expecting a starting spot and i'd struggle to see where he fits into that currently. I also think it's odd because Leeds priority is definitely another forward so talks of Gigot seem a little left field. 

2 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

I agree, on his day he's better than Myler but he'd be hard pushed to displace Walker at FB and with Leeds looking a lot more structured in the halves now, Lui's style suits a lot more than Gigot. I'm certainly not saying I wouldn't have him at Leeds I just think he'd be expecting a starting spot and i'd struggle to see where he fits into that currently. I also think it's odd because Leeds priority is definitely another forward so talks of Gigot seem a little left field. 

Centre perhaps, as Newman is set to play on the wing. Sutcliffe is the current male shift centre but he could cover 2nd row instead. 

Gigot would be a better option than Walker at FB currently but I can’t see Leeds wanting to upset Walker when they’ve put all their cards on him. 

4 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Centre perhaps, as Newman is set to play on the wing. Sutcliffe is the current male shift centre but he could cover 2nd row instead. 

Gigot would be a better option than Walker at FB currently but I can’t see Leeds wanting to upset Walker when they’ve put all their cards on him. 

What makes you think Newman will be playing on the Wing? He’s a centre who can cover wing but definitely a centre. Jack Walker will be one of the best players in SL this season, no chance Gigot displaces him. 

18 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

What makes you think Newman will be playing on the Wing? He’s a centre who can cover wing but definitely a centre. Jack Walker will be one of the best players in SL this season, no chance Gigot displaces him. 

I know Newman is a centre but he’s been playing wing most of pre-season and I suspect a combination of his suspect defence and the lack of wingers we have (Tom Briscoe injured and Luke not SL quality) has forced the move. 

Jack Walker has a huge amount to improve on. His skill set is very limited still. He’s an electric runner of the ball but he’s yet to link up effectively with the attacking line and his passing ability is dire

On 26/01/2020 at 05:49, winnyason said:

Rumour of Leeds rhinos not sure how concrete.

Yes all over the shop but outside of France absolute golden era of 1950s he he best player outside that ? 

The best French player since the 50s?!?! Surely not.

He's very good on his day but I think there have been a few better ones than him. Going back to the 90's Divet and Entat were both class and more recently I'd say people like Guisset and Bosc, even Casty have had more impact than Gigot.

Still, I would have thought he would be a good pick up for someone given his versatility and flair. Good bench utility perhaps.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

On 26/01/2020 at 13:12, The Daddy said:

He would be a good signing for TO, he could slot in at centre where I think they're a bit short and also half back, I don't agree that they are well covered at half back. Jonathon Ford cannot tackle and he's been exposed a few times in big crucial games. Also, in these big games they've lacked direction from the halves and this is where Gigot could slot in really well. 

Toulouse like players good on and OFF thé pitch 

12 hours ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

The best French player since the 50s?!?! Surely not.

He's very good on his day but I think there have been a few better ones than him. Going back to the 90's Divet and Entat were both class and more recently I'd say people like Guisset and Bosc, even Casty have had more impact than Gigot.

Still, I would have thought he would be a good pick up for someone given his versatility and flair. Good bench utility perhaps.

Look I suppose entat won test v gb in 94 does that rate higher than mom in cc final 

Gigot being out of SL or the NRL is a shame as he is along with Fages and Casty, one of Frances few Players who are really good at SL level. 

I hope he finds a club soon as he is imo, one of the most entertaining players to watch play in SL.

That he's training with Avignon, suggests he will be back playing at some time soon. 

It looks unlikely it will be Catalans who sign him so I guess that leaves TO, or a few SL teams in need of creativity and a good passer, TWP may like to sign him, however Cap space could be an issue. 

If Castleford or Wakefield signed him that could work well for club and player, issue would be wadges though as I read somewhere he turned down 100k euros from Les Dracs.

On 26/01/2020 at 19:33, DoubleD said:

I know Newman is a centre but he’s been playing wing most of pre-season and I suspect a combination of his suspect defence and the lack of wingers we have (Tom Briscoe injured and Luke not SL quality) has forced the move. 

Jack Walker has a huge amount to improve on. His skill set is very limited still. He’s an electric runner of the ball but he’s yet to link up effectively with the attacking line and his passing ability is dire

Totally agree. I'd love Gigot at Leeds what a luxury to have in the squad!

On 28/01/2020 at 20:55, DoubleD said:
On 28/01/2020 at 17:36, Click said:

No he's not an atrocious passer, or no he's not a fantastic full back?

Both 

Hardaker genuinely was terrible at passing when he was at Leeds. It seemed to improve a bit at Cas under Powell but it's still hardly stellar.

1 hour ago, M j M said:

Hardaker genuinely was terrible at passing when he was at Leeds. It seemed to improve a bit at Cas under Powell but it's still hardly stellar.

Much like Josh Dugan, Hardaker is good athlete and footballer, but doesn't quite fit any position perfectly. Both are great 90s style fullbacks, but don't have the ball skills needed of elite fullbacks today. And while they're both great ball runners and tacklers, they don't seem to have that natural awareness and timing of the best centres. 

On 28/01/2020 at 15:09, Southerner80 said:

Gigot being out of SL or the NRL is a shame as he is along with Fages and Casty, one of Frances few Players who are really good at SL level. 

I hope he finds a club soon as he is imo, one of the most entertaining players to watch play in SL.

That he's training with Avignon, suggests he will be back playing at some time soon. 

It looks unlikely it will be Catalans who sign him so I guess that leaves TO, or a few SL teams in need of creativity and a good passer, TWP may like to sign him, however Cap space could be an issue. 

If Castleford or Wakefield signed him that could work well for club and player, issue would be wadges though as I read somewhere he turned down 100k euros from Les Dracs.

I know a club who desperately need a LF  and a centre come to that, I'd have him tomorrow .

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

Archived