Match Thread: Pre-season friendly, Valencia v Featherstone Rovers Saturday January 11th 2020

marklaspalmas

https://www.featherstonerovers.co.uk/news/preview-valencia-huracanes-vs-rovers-IQtcd

Rovers breaking new ground with their first match in Spain. It's a 22 man squad named with Albert included, as well as Ferres and Cooper. Everyone who played last week is also included except the DR players obviously. Possibly we'll line up something like this:

image.png.e26827a991a11df0f7590f80d0957fc7.png

There's 7 squad members we've yet to se, presumably all injured currently: Minns, Carey, Davies, Day, Parata, Render and Whylie

Nothing more than a slightly warm training excercise 

I wouldve rather seen us play a lower end Champ one team than this lot -  wouldve been better organised and wouldve got more of a test and probably more out of a workout out of it

12 minutes ago, elppaxr2i said:

And PR exercise presumably.

Hope it's less controversial than Ireland's World Cup Qualifier in Spain a couple of months ago, where the Irish players and staff were scathing about the whole experience, that game turned very niggly in the second half, hope this is a more sedate affair. You'd think it should be straightforward otherwise against a scratch team.

On 10/01/2020 at 11:04, The Phantom Horseman said:

You'd think it should be straightforward otherwise against a scratch team.

42-4 at half time, you only had to look at bodies of the Valencia team as they lined up beforehand to see that this was going to be desperately weak opposition. Most of the feed pretty much unwatchable because of lagging/buffering etc but clearly men against boys. Good to see Dean Parata back on the field.

I do not understand how we can give credit to such a team and at the same time not establish links with the French teams. Salford who loaned 3 players to this team and replied to a French club that they could not help them develop their young players.

www.fcl13.fr FCL XIII - Lezignan Corbieres Rugby League

16 minutes ago, elppaxr2i said:

As i said a few days ago complete waste of time shouldve sacked this game off would rather have seen us play coventry or a team like that and given them our time and effort 

Its given the brethren a nice post Christmas jolly up in benidorm and the lads a bit of a training run in nice weather.

33 minutes ago, elppaxr2i said:

As i said a few days ago complete waste of time shouldve sacked this game off would rather have seen us play coventry or a team like that and given them our time and effort 

Remember how we went on a warm weather training camp a couple of years ago? I'd suggest it was like that, but with the opportunity for a bit of publicity and potentially subsidised for the club. Good team bonding and training out of the cold and mud. Win win. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

1 hour ago, fcl said:

I do not understand how we can give credit to such a team and at the same time not establish links with the French teams. Salford who loaned 3 players to this team and replied to a French club that they could not help them develop their young players.

Have any of the French teams invited Fev for a friendly? Let's try to develop links and expand the game wherever we can. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

25 minutes ago, elppaxr2i said:

but it's not about FEV it's all about valemcia getting started  

1 hour ago, fcl said:

because it's a team trying  to start the greatest game in virgin terretory and I know  if any one in france asked FEV to play a pre-season friendly we would be up for it

We often see suggestions of tournaments using 9s rules being used to help spread the game , but I'm not really a fan of them myself , but is there a way we could shorten the game ( we see references to 20/20 in cricket , but that is still a full complement of 11 playing 11 , the shortened bit is the length of the game ) enabling us to have our teams play 3 consecutive days , and therefore have a pre season tournament in Southern France/Northern Spain including UK,French and Spanish/Serbian teams ?

Could players play 4 , 40/50 minute games over 2 days , then another single game of the same duration on a finals day ?

And if it could work , would you pay to go and watch it ?

On 10/01/2020 at 09:53, elppaxr2i said:

I wouldve rather seen us play a lower end Champ one team than this lot -  wouldve been better organised and wouldve got more of a test and probably more out of a workout out of it

The added advantage of the trip to Valencia, would have been the team bonding, especially helpful for the new signings.

We had a lovely time, finally staying in Villajoyosa which turned out to be €10 for a taxi from where we were staying to the stadium. It appears several UK teams are doing their pre season winter training in Villajoyosa. Leeds Rhinos were there the week before we were, then we bumped into Jack Ormanroyd and the Salford Red Devil’s squad arriving at their hotel on the beachfront. It’s a lovely town with plenty of bars and restaurants and quieter than Benidorm (which we visited by tram €2.30 for a return trip. Terry has been talking to Davide and they’re hoping to do the same next year at the same stadium minus all the hassle we had this time. 

Im Fev and im proud

Archived