Red Star Belgrade and League 1

Copa

8 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Agreed, and of course the L1 clubs will insist on solutions before any team are admitted.

Have you considered that admitting clubs from places like Belgrade and Valencia might actually attract UK players to play RL?

I’m all for anyone playing RL but cant help feeling the obvious choice would be to get more people playing in Serbia.  In 7/8 years the standard might be the level of mid NCL and that would be a success.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Lowdesert said:

I’m all for anyone playing RL but cant help feeling the obvious choice would be to get more people playing in Serbia.  In 7/8 years the standard might be the level of mid NCL and that would be a success.

As I mentioned in my post, Serbs are being attracted to play the game. There wasn't a single foreigner in the two squads.

I have a mutual friend of someone that presently plays for Red Star, and it seems a lot of those attracted to the sport played basketball growing up. 

One thing people are missing, however, is that Serbians need visas to enter the UK. I know for a fact the above friend of a friend couldn't travel to the game against Millom because of visa issues. But I imagine the club and RFL are investigating this issue. 

42 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

This might help get people playing in Serbia, if it happens. 

Agree with all the valid questions around logistics etc at league one level , but no doubt lots of work will be done on all the off field issues as part of the planning and preparation phase . But overall I wish them well . RL there as in some other outposts has faced many barriers and problems , and they’ve worked from the bottom to grow the game there and develop players and infrastructure . So hopefully they can pull things together , whether next year or after , work with the RFL and bolster a competition that needs it 

Plenty of solutions to the travel issue - e.g.  Each UK based club only has to visit 1 NA club plus Belgrade per season. The other "away" fixture can be played at a neutral venue in the UK as a double header. This may well be necessary anyway due to the Ottawa/New York weather. There are lots of other options.

10 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

Plenty of solutions to the travel issue - e.g.  Each UK based club only has to visit 1 NA club plus Belgrade per season. The other "away" fixture can be played at a neutral venue in the UK as a double header. This may well be necessary anyway due to the Ottawa/New York weather. There are lots of other options.

Don’t go trying to think of solutions when you can sit on the bog typing on your phone about what a terrible idea it is and how it will never work. 

I think if League one is to continue spreading it needs to be in conferences. If the money was there I'd like the French Elite 1 to be used for teams around the Mediterranean and southern Europe. Valencia, Belgrade etc could join and other clubs could be admitted with French Cities and regions, eg Aude, Avignon, etc.

I know this isn't doable at the moment but if these clubs got together maybe it could happen

Just now, JM2010 said:

I think if League one is to continue spreading it needs to be in conferences. If the money was there I'd like the French Elite 1 to be used for teams around the Mediterranean and southern Europe. Valencia, Belgrade etc could join and other clubs could be admitted with French Cities and regions, eg Aude, Avignon, etc.

I know this isn't doable at the moment but if these clubs got together maybe it could happen

Agree entirely with the sentiment. It’s probably easier to get to most L1 grounds from Belgrade than it is to get to some French villages though, and also there are much better progression prospects in L1, I doubt their ambition is to hang around there for too long. 

Just now, Eddie said:

Agree entirely with the sentiment. It’s probably easier to get to most L1 grounds from Belgrade than it is to get to some French villages though, and also there are much better progression prospects in L1, I doubt their ambition is to hang around there for too long. 

I agree it's not the right set up in Elite 1 for this yet. The French League would need a revamp or a league above Elite 1 to be created with these clubs and clubs representing population areas in France competing and maybe even cross conference games with League 1.

Like I say it's not doable yet but that would be my preferred choice if the chance ever arose

The L1 and Championship clubs get a say in the admission of any new clubs - both Ottawa and New York were welcomed in. The same process will no doubt happen for Red Star too. Clubs cannot welcome them in and then moan a year later when they have to sort visas out for players to visit.............

22 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

The L1 and Championship clubs get a say in the admission of any new clubs - both Ottawa and New York were welcomed in. The same process will no doubt happen for Red Star too. Clubs cannot welcome them in and then moan a year later when they have to sort visas out for players to visit.............

Of course they’ll let them in. L1 clubs will get a bigger crowd when a European sporting institution like Red Star Belgrade rock up in town than they will against the likes of Coventry or West Wales. 

4 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Or a great opportunity to travel whilst getting paid to play rugby,God forbid it inspires kids/youths to take up the game.

When I was a kid I was looking forward to going to go to Blackbrook, Leigh Miners and Rose Bridge.  What on earth could New York, Ottawa and Belgrade offer that they couldn't.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, JM2010 said:

If red star, Valencia, Ottawa & New York come in, league 1 should be split into 2 conferences with 2 “overseas” teams in each conference, saving on travel. 2 conferences of 10 with a few cross conference games also. All play offs involving English teams would be held in the uk for first few seasons. Hopefully further European & NA expansion could follow. Then possibly NA & European conferences as well as UK one. Interesting times if it goes ahead!

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

The distances French teams are required to travel is one of the big things holding RL there back - you're looking at regular round-trips of 10+ hours for many clubs. At least this season, we don't have La Reole and Lyon in the same league.

4 hours ago, Eddie said:

Agreed, and of course the L1 clubs will insist on solutions before any team are admitted.

Have you considered that admitting clubs from places like Belgrade and Valencia might actually attract UK players to play RL?

A fair point. Anything that attracts more players/finance/clubs/coverage & spreads the game is fine by me. We just need to make sure we have thought about & addressed as many possible problems & pitfalls in advance so that they don't become an issue further down the line.

As a slight aside, I've just noticed these two RL headlines fro the last couple of days:

A headline in The Guardian - Red Star Belgrade plan to join New York and Ottawa in League 1.
A headline from the Love Rugby League website - Salford Trio Loaned to Valencia.

I wouldn't have dared to dream of ever seeing RL headlines like this. Fantastic.

7 minutes ago, Bartholemew Smythe said:

What a pathetic comparison.

My apologies.  I was only trying to be light hearted... I thoroughly enjoyed playing in all the places I stated and I am sure I would in the new areas as well.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

4 hours ago, Eddie said:

I expect lots of lads who dream of the chance to play at Coventry and West Wales will turn their noses up at the thought of going to dumps like Ottawa and Valencia. 

I suppose your not clued up with away clubs in Toronto. Leave Manchester early Friday morning. Arrive then train. Sleep not in a hotel but a university.  Match on Saturday. Return Saturday evening via Glasgow then coach home. Not at all glamorous 

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

1 hour ago, DEANO said:

I suppose your not clued up with away clubs in Toronto. Leave Manchester early Friday morning. Arrive then train. Sleep not in a hotel but a university.  Match on Saturday. Return Saturday evening via Glasgow then coach home. Not at all glamorous 

Lets be clear that was by the choice of the visiting clubs..other options, including longer stays in Toronto, were given but most of the visiting clubs chose the option you have outlined. Their choice.

2 hours ago, DEANO said:

Lots of people would think that was great, I certainly would, better than an away game at Belle Vue. 

8 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

New york, Ottawa and Belgrade in L1 in 2021?

Tough ask for part time players 

100 years ago they managed three month tours to Australia and New Zealand

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Archived