Red Star Belgrade and League 1

Copa

3 hours ago, Dunbar said:

My apologies.  I was only trying to be light hearted... I thoroughly enjoyed playing in all the places I stated and I am sure I would in the new areas as well.

No problem Dunbar, all of those 3 Amateur clubs you mentioned produce a helluva lot of players who go into the Pro ranks.

We`re on a road to Nowhere.......................

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Padge said:

100 years ago they managed three month tours to Australia and New Zealand

Not 200 of them , and those that went on the tours were the best and also reimbursed , and because of that had their jobs waiting for them when they got back 

22 minutes ago, Bartholemew Smythe said:

No problem Dunbar, all of those 3 Amateur clubs you mentioned produce a helluva lot of players who go into the Pro ranks.

I know. And I played against Ian Gildart and Denis Betts as well as a few others during my time in the NW Counties junior leagues.  I am happy to be a fan of both the great traditional clubs and the possibilities of what the future may hold.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

23 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Not 200 of them , and those that went on the tours were the best and also reimbursed , and because of that had their jobs waiting for them when they got back 

The 200 won't be away for three months in one stretch.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

10 minutes ago, Padge said:

The 200 won't be away for three months in one stretch.

No , but they will be away potentially 4 times , and as I said , these aren't the ' cream ' of the sport , the high profile players who because of that their bosses will accomadate them 

When the top players went on tour they had their jobs waiting ( or another job ) for them when they got back , also because they were the best , they got the best pay in the sport 

You made a poor point , not valid , just leave it rather than embarras yourself trying to defend it 

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

No , but they will be away potentially 4 times , and as I said , these aren't the ' cream ' of the sport , the high profile players who because of that their bosses will accomadate them 

When the top players went on tour they had their jobs waiting ( or another job ) for them when they got back , also because they were the best , they got the best pay in the sport 

You made a poor point , not valid , just leave it rather than embarras yourself trying to defend it 

The point is totally valid, you just don't like me making it. 

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

5 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

How do they manage it in say the Russian second division then, or the Chilean league? Hardly divisions awash with money but they have vast distances to travel, more than 4 times a season. 

25 years ago we had the Centenary publication of When Push Comes To Shove volume 2 published by a Yorkshire Arts Circus based in Cas.

For those who have not read/no idea of the publication it is a collection of anecdotes and black and white photographs of players, grounds and supporters.  The publication emits an atmosphere of a semi-professional game played in run down stadia and a game that was firmly rooted in its ‘heartlands’.

It was celebrating a game that had hardly changed over 100 years and in those days PNG were considered to be the most exotic team on the planet.

How many of us that read the publication would have ever dreamt that in 25 years or so we would have 2 French teams and a Canadian team firmly entrenched in our sport.  With a possibility that a further Canadian team along with New York and Belgrade may grace our game.

Posters on here are quite right to comment about the amount of travel semi-pro’s might have to make if teams play home and away under the current set up.  But if solutions can be found to make the introduction of these three teams viable then I wonder what a third volume of the publication in 10 years would look like (they might even use colour photos it in?).

1 hour ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

25 years ago we had the Centenary publication of When Push Comes To Shove volume 2 published by a Yorkshire Arts Circus based in Cas.

For those who have not read/no idea of the publication it is a collection of anecdotes and black and white photographs of players, grounds and supporters.  The publication emits an atmosphere of a semi-professional game played in run down stadia and a game that was firmly rooted in its ‘heartlands’.

It was celebrating a game that had hardly changed over 100 years and in those days PNG were considered to be the most exotic team on the planet.

How many of us that read the publication would have ever dreamt that in 25 years or so we would have 2 French teams and a Canadian team firmly entrenched in our sport.  With a possibility that a further Canadian team along with New York and Belgrade may grace our game.

Posters on here are quite right to comment about the amount of travel semi-pro’s might have to make if teams play home and away under the current set up.  But if solutions can be found to make the introduction of these three teams viable then I wonder what a third volume of the publication in 10 years would look like (they might even use colour photos it in?).

Sounds like a great book...I enjoyed visiting the run down stadiums of the 70s!

I've just had a look on abebooks (the source for rare and second hand books, owned now by Amazon but a great resource) and there's 19 listings, some having multiple copies for same. I'll be having one for sure.

* tried to upload a screenshot but it's only showing in the post as a downloadable file?

abe

Belgrade and Valencia are considerably different propositions to NY, Ottawa and Toronto though. They don't involve big time zone changes. Spain is on the same time. And Vladivostok do manage in the Russian second division which is non-regionalised. Which is not to say there aren't massive issues...merely to point out that they are not utterly insurmountable.

5 hours ago, Kayakman said:

Lets be clear that was by the choice of the visiting clubs..other options, including longer stays in Toronto, were given but most of the visiting clubs chose the option you have outlined. Their choice.

Wolfpack even moved kick off times for games so visiting clubs could get an earlier flight back home 

6 hours ago, Pigeon Lofter said:

Sounds like a great book...I enjoyed visiting the run down stadiums of the 70s!

I've just had a look on abebooks (the source for rare and second hand books, owned now by Amazon but a great resource) and there's 19 listings, some having multiple copies for same. I'll be having one for sure.

* tried to upload a screenshot but it's only showing in the post as a downloadable file?

abe 128.23 kB · 1 download

Both volumes are good reads as at the time they were published it gave a true reflection of the game.  Many supporters and those within the game provided great anecdotes that captured the spirit of the game.

7 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

I'll help him out Bart 

They have regional divisions 

You need to do some research. The Russian second division isn’t regionalised, and teams from both Vladivostok and Kaliningrad are in it - a 13 hour flight. Half of the teams average less than 2,000 spectators.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Football_National_League

Neither the Chilean second or third tier are regionalised either. 

37 minutes ago, Eddie said:

You need to do some research. The Russian second division isn’t regionalised, and teams from both Vladivostok and Kaliningrad are in it - a 13 hour flight. Half of the teams average less than 2,000 spectators.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Football_National_League

Neither the Chilean second or third tier are regionalised either. 

Is football a minor sport in Chile or Russia?

I have a feeling that it might, just might, be really, really popular. In fact, and bear with me on this, I have a feeling that football might actually be the most popular, well-supported, most-played and resource-laden sport in those countries.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

6 minutes ago, frank said:

But what an experience.Great destinations and see a bit of the world

Maybe a few more sponsors could be attracted to the Championship with teams like this taking part

Archived