Friendly away at Keighley

graham fisher

Don’t normally bother with away friendlies,apart from Boxing Day when it’s Batley’s turn to host the game. But I’ll be there at cougar park on Sunday to cheer the lads on. No idea what sort of squad we’ll have on Sunday but I reckon we’ll see them players that didn’t play Boxing Day with the exception of  Garratt and maybe Walton,the rest will be made up of some that did play over Christmas. I’d like to see more than 10 minutes of Morgan Punchard on Sunday. Them that’s traveling over see you there.

6 hours ago, graham fisher said:

. I’d like to see more than 10 minutes of Morgan Punchard on Sunday. Them that’s traveling over see you there.

Me too.   Id actually like to see him get a full game before the season starts.  

20 hours ago, graham fisher said:

Don’t normally bother with away friendlies,apart from Boxing Day when it’s Batley’s turn to host the game. But I’ll be there at cougar park on Sunday to cheer the lads on. No idea what sort of squad we’ll have on Sunday but I reckon we’ll see them players that didn’t play Boxing Day with the exception of  Garratt and maybe Walton,the rest will be made up of some that did play over Christmas. I’d like to see more than 10 minutes of Morgan Punchard on Sunday. Them that’s traveling over see you there.

Any good? - https://joshuartchapman.wixsite.com/mysite/post/cn2020-dewsbury-edition

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

With fiendlies you just never know what will happen with many players likely to play, some for disproportionate amounts of time to others and some a bit rusty, but I’ll be there to find out. 

Let’s go for:

Keighley 22 - 36 Dewsbury 

FTS: Oakes

MoM: Martin 

Att: 586

Legs, Dews, Legs.

Oh Dear. 
The season hasn’t started and we are throwing away matches late on again.   I was thinking about a joke relating to Groundhog Day but throwing away a game with two late tries is very very worrisome given the pattern of last year.  I had hoped we shaken that off but apparently not.   Letting it happen today will have done nothing to help the players get over it either.  ???

Maybe it is just a case of Keighley having improved significantly after finally getting a decent coach, allowing the previous one to move down to his natural level.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

I thought Keighley did well, stuck to their task and didn’t let our half time lead worry them (after all, they did have the slope in their favour in the second half to help them). 

Immediately after scoring our third try someone threw out a pass which was nicely intercepted and brought Keighley right back into the game with a try. Joe Martin knee it would be a score as he didn’t bother to give chase. 

In the second half Keighley were keen to sweep the ball left to use Jake Webster to the full and Jason Muranka must have been delighted to score the winning try against his former club. 

I thought Dewsbury should have made more of attacking chances, but unnecessary passing spoilt some of those moves and we are still giving away silly penalties and missing tackles which can only aid the opposition. 

Much work and improvements are still required if we are to have a better season than the last. I don’t think I saw any positives today.

Legs, Dews, Legs.

It's a friendly game we shouldn't forget that, no team is going to be consistent with constant personel changes, nothing would have been learned if we had run in 50 points, you can learn more about character in defeat of your fringe players, our poor performance regardless of how many interchanges shouldn't take away anything from Keighley who played the conditions far better than us, they had spirit and fight and for a first run out did fantastic, our spirit and fight will be saved for a Friday night in late January when many peoples favourites Leigh Centurions rock up, yes our 2 friendly games has hardly set the world on fire and these games are simply used to give players a chance to get involved, and a opportunity for Lee to see them, if after 5 games were in a position of peril and turning out performances like the Batley & Keighley games.. Then fans can moan.. And they will, let's not judge the friendlies and save judgement for January and February's games, let's get behind the lads and not on top of them. 

Friendlies are friendlies 

And we've not dropped any points so far this season. 

8 hours ago, coolie said:

It's a friendly game we shouldn't forget that, no team is going to be consistent with constant personel changes, nothing would have been learned if we had run in 50 points, you can learn more about character in defeat of your fringe players, our poor performance regardless of how many interchanges shouldn't take away anything from Keighley who played the conditions far better than us, they had spirit and fight and for a first run out did fantastic, our spirit and fight will be saved for a Friday night in late January when many peoples favourites Leigh Centurions rock up, yes our 2 friendly games has hardly set the world on fire and these games are simply used to give players a chance to get involved, and a opportunity for Lee to see them, if after 5 games were in a position of peril and turning out performances like the Batley & Keighley games.. Then fans can moan.. And they will, let's not judge the friendlies and save judgement for January and February's games, let's get behind the lads and not on top of them. 

Friendlies are friendlies 

And we've not dropped any points so far this season. 

Tbh I thought it was a decent game,a bit disappointed to concede two tries in last 3 minutes though. What stood out for me was we need Paul Sykes to stay fit and healthy because when he’s off the field we are lost. 

41 minutes ago, graham fisher said:

Tbh I thought it was a decent game,a bit disappointed to concede two tries in last 3 minutes though. What stood out for me was we need Paul Sykes to stay fit and healthy because when he’s off the field we are lost. 

To concede two tries in the last few minutes when both we and the coach know that this is what did us last season is what worries me..LG talked about this at the forum..If we could have held out yesterday it might have gone some way to getting that monkey off the back but I fear the exact opposite might have occurred already....

Agree 100% about young Sykesy...We are lost without him...

19 hours ago, NickD said:

To concede two tries in the last few minutes when both we and the coach know that this is what did us last season is what worries me..LG talked about this at the forum..If we could have held out yesterday it might have gone some way to getting that monkey off the back but I fear the exact opposite might have occurred already....

Agree 100% about young Sykesy...We are lost without him...

We cannot rely on one player, Batley will be doing that this season in Lunt, we have to have permutations, it's a mistake to hinge everything on whether one player plays or not, yesterday I would have rested Paul and gone with finn & putch for the game, now with only having the Bradford game left we have restricted opportunities now to give them a run out, we also need to be prepared we will this season have to play games without sykes whether thru injury or suspension, sykes plays and gives 100% and this increases the risk... Fingers crossed for neither, we have to have a "plan B" when things ain't going right, and at times they won't that's for sure, we need options all over the park and not become on dimensional. 

The scores not important. The fact that a team a league below could run 2 tries in the last 3 minutes shows a slight problem. Either were not up to match fitness yet and is pre season and that will come. Or some of the squad might not be  up to championship level yet Thats  the most worrying and was our main problem last year.Anyway be alrite on the night.

1 hour ago, the old nine ole said:

Just watched the highlights ..... It might be the camera angle but the pass to Muranka for that last try did look suspiciously forward to me!  

That's the spirit!

?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

14 hours ago, the old nine ole said:

Just watched the highlights ..... It might be the camera angle but the pass to Muranka for that last try did look suspiciously forward to me!  

It was

But Keighley deserved the victory

The 2 tries in 3 minutes didn't have anything to do with physical fitness

It was more mental fitness. 

I didn't go but if it wasn't a friendly and LG kept our best team on, then the end might have turned out like this. Wilkes makes easy catch in the in-goal, 20 metre restart. We play out 6 tackles and that leaves no time for Keighley to win. But the purpose was for LG to give players game time and some will be playing v Leigh and some might not play all season.

On 14/01/2020 at 18:11, the old nine ole said:

Having just watched the highlights I think the missed tackles and horrendous drop from the kick looked a more likely reason for our defeat the a marginal forward pass decision

On 14/01/2020 at 18:11, the old nine ole said:

Forward for sure, but didn't Muranka finish it off well ? He certainly left a few rams trailing in his wake on his run to the line. Always liked Jason  when we had him, and he never got the chances his ability deserved thanks to the "mates only" policy of the then coach . Still looks like a player who could go on to better things

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

3 hours ago, grumpyoldram said:

Forward for sure, but didn't Muranka finish it off well ? He certainly left a few rams trailing in his wake on his run to the line. Always liked Jason  when we had him, and he never got the chances his ability deserved thanks to the "mates only" policy of the then coach . Still looks like a player who could go on to better things

A decent player and, by all accounts, a nice bloke. I think that time might be against him in regard to "better things" though Grumpy, unless you mean Batley that is.

Archived