Law Cup

The Lad

Should be a good game on Sunday, we played well last week had a strong defence despite the scoreline, but Oldham beat Barrow and can't be overlooked. Anything can happen in a derby game. 

My prediction; Hornets lose to an Oldham side that is a little to strong 18-28.

I said a couple of weeks ago that if rochdale turn up Oldham will lose, my assumption was on the basis that a number of the rochdale team were playing for contracts.

Rochdale turned up and when Oldham realised that they were in a whole it was too late.

30 years ago I was a trialist at Hornets and I was on the fence this year I was very much in the Oldham camp. Congratulations on the victory and I hope that you have a successful season 

Good solid performance, defensively very tough in the first half which is not something we can say about us in recent years.

oldham poor 1st half but stepped it up 2nd half, still getting to grips with new players but Penky looked good, no 21 Symes I think,  Fowden and Freeman looked decent amongst others. Couple of dumb plays but overall looked a workmanlike side With a decent attitude 

Really enjoyed it today, very hopeful for a decent season watching a competitive side

I thought it was a close game, first half was split into 20 minute periods first 20 minutes was all oldham they played a lot of their ball in our half and defended well, but we managed to score. Second 20 was all us, we were aggressive in the tackle and scored some good tries. Second half was momentum swing back and forth. Oldham had a good ten minutes but failed to capitalise on it for the rest of the game and we seemed to make mistakes that allowed them time with the ball. Both teams dropped the ball on a lot of sets towards the end of the game.

There was a lot of positives, we were aggressive without being dirty, we scored some nice tries and defended well. But we still made some poor handerling errors. But a lot to build on.

Thanks Billy - very encouraging, especially as we shall miss out some of the more lucrative fixtures being in League 1.  Hopefully, we shall get into regular winning ways and maintain impetus through to the play-offs. Perhaps even a home cup fixture with the neighbours!

I grew up watching Hornets but haven't attended for years since I moved away from the town. I decided to go to the Law Cup game as I was in Rochdale on Sunday. Was very impressed with what I saw and really didn't expect such a healthy crowd. Good to see such dogged defence and team spirit. Hopefully this can be the start of a revival for the Nets. I will definitely be back this season to take in more games. Well done to all concerned.

Archived