Which team shall we sponsor? Poll

Eddie

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Whippet13 said:

As far as I am aware this is the only site for JRL gear: https://1908.store/collections/jamaica-rugby-league

Have to wait and see what comes out for the 2020 season.

Replicas will be available, but the plan is to do a limited edition run this season now we know how many units usually sell.

We originally did a full range for the RLJ:D2 competition (This is the expansion comp) which was designed to recover the costs to produce the jerseys. It went pretty well, but we were a little short on the numbers that we needed.

Needless to say, there will be replicas available as we look to expand the offering.

49 minutes ago, gnidir said:

Replicas will be available, but the plan is to do a limited edition run this season now we know how many units usually sell.

We originally did a full range for the RLJ:D2 competition (This is the expansion comp) which was designed to recover the costs to produce the jerseys. It went pretty well, but we were a little short on the numbers that we needed.

Needless to say, there will be replicas available as we look to expand the offering.

Do you work for the Jamaican RL Gnidir? If so can you tell us a bit about the comp, how many registered players you have, is the game played in any schools/colleges etc?

4 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Do you work for the Jamaican RL Gnidir? If so can you tell us a bit about the comp, how many registered players you have, is the game played in any schools/colleges etc?

HI mate, 

I help Romeo and the team out, im based in NZ though. Its really amazing the work they put in out there on a nothing budget.

There are way over 1000 registered players on the island.

The NCC is the senior club competition, runs from May to Sept/Oct and had 7 clubs in 2019. 

Under that is the RLJ:D2, which is the expansion club competition, this is a short season designed to keep players in the game and to grow into new areas.

There are 6 or 7 (Waiting for confirmation) universities who play in the Intercol league who are tied to clubs in informal ways.CMU Spartans are the Caribbean Maritime university. 

One if the best things the guys have sorted there is that the Unis offer scholarships based on rugby league, so Rugby League is help ing people through higher education. 

Intercol start this month and is again an open age league.

The most impressive part of all the activity out there is the high school leagues. They run U19 U16 and U14 (U16 and U14 start this month).

We see schools come and go over time, but the longer term aim is here. This is the main investment made. There are 16-18 schools playing the game and a wide geographical spread. We are working to introduce more schools, and then form regional academies to improve promising players.

Also this season, for the first time, we will have a girls schools comp under modified rules.

To put it in context, $1000 US dollars would pay for 1 full time coach who can look after 2 schools. For $102,000 per year we could have a full time coach for every school in Jamaica.

We play year round, so there is also a series of 9s competitions that we are looking to formalise into more of a season moving forwards.

Sport is quite different out there because the of the social challenges, so players look to sport as a career pathway. In time, we hope to establish a pro/semi pro league.

The catalyst for this is the 2021 World Cup. The aim is that every Jamaican in Jamaica knows firstly that Rugby League is a Sport, and secondly that it is played in Jamaica. If we can do that, our numbers will swell.

Once again mate, its the guys on the ground who do the work, they are awesome, I just help with the presentation and strategy really.

I hope that helps ?

50 minutes ago, gnidir said:

For $102,000 per year we could have a full time coach for every school in Jamaica.

This is an amazingly small figure. If Buzz Rothfield is to be believed the likes of Todd Greenberg probably spend that on expenses in a year. We could change the face of the game for a tiny amount of money.

45 minutes ago, M j M said:

This is an amazingly small figure. If Buzz Rothfield is to be believed the likes of Todd Greenberg probably spend that on expenses in a year. We could change the face of the game for a tiny amount of money.

So if SL invested £100k of the £2m they are getting from Toronto taking no allocation....

23 minutes ago, Leonard said:

So if SL invested £100k of the £2m they are getting from Toronto taking no allocation....

Something like that.

There is a business plan in place, essentially the semi pro competition would be joint owned with its licence fees covering the cost of junior development in its catchment area.

We are about 5 years from making this any kind of reality at the moment. We need to increase player numbers in order to refine them. That said, there are some really promising athletes who could excel at our game.

The money to fund it isn't the only barrier. You could put in a million dollars next year, but it still takes time for people to understand what our game is, to take it up, to excel. 

Its also important that Jamaica develops in a Jamaican way. Thats something that the guys on the ground are really good at.

12 hours ago, gnidir said:

HI mate, 

I help Romeo and the team out, im based in NZ though. Its really amazing the work they put in out there on a nothing budget.

Once again mate, its the guys on the ground who do the work, they are awesome, I just help with the presentation and strategy really.

You say your based in Nz and are able to contribute. Is there any way any of us can help out and contribute in any way?

The results are in and the West Kingston Hyenas are clear winners with 14 votes. 

Top stuff from everyone who donated, and from Dev Inno who not only have sorted this out for us but have donated $500 on top of our total, which currently stands at $960. 

Also special thanks to @dealwithit who sorted this out with Dev Inno and the Jamaican RL ?

To whet your appetites, here are some highlights of our cup semi final v Spartans last season. Sounds like we were new to the competition in 2019. 

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

The results are in and the West Kingston Hyenas are clear winners with 14 votes. 

Top stuff from everyone who donated, and from Dev Inno who not only have sorted this out for us but have donated $500 on top of our total, which currently stands at $960. 

Also special thanks to @dealwithit who sorted this out with Dev Inno and the Jamaican RL ?

To whet your appetites, here are some highlights of our cup semi final v Spartans last season. Sounds like we were new to the competition in 2019. 

Thank for organising the vote and the ground work. You and @dealwithit are real great dudes.

Any chance either of you could ask dev inno (who are matching us if I read properly) to sponsor our second place in the vote? (That's GC by my count)

58 minutes ago, TboneFromTO said:

Thank for organising the vote and the ground work. You and @dealwithit are real great dudes.

Any chance either of you could ask dev inno (who are matching us if I read properly) to sponsor our second place in the vote? (That's GC by my count)

From what I understand Devi Inno don't sponsor teams, the money they provide is for scholarships, education fees, employment support etc. I think.

39 minutes ago, davet said:

Are we going to organise a trip out to watch our new team??

Now you're talking.

Archived