Did Argyle buy into London Skolars?

34 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Not yet. Seems they got the Skolars’ hopes up but then Argyle came up with some cashflow excuse and it didn’t happen 

It’s true the monies not arrived. The club are being proactive about the future. Who knows if anything will arrive from him. To have any real chance of competing as well as promoting the club down here and build crowds we need more cash. Skolars have a great set up and potential but it’s just so hard here. I shall be trying to support them a bit more financially but it’s peanuts, so if anyone knows someone with a couple of hundred grand spare that would be great. 

47 minutes ago, EssexRL said:

It’s true the monies not arrived. The club are being proactive about the future. Who knows if anything will arrive from him. To have any real chance of competing as well as promoting the club down here and build crowds we need more cash. Skolars have a great set up and potential but it’s just so hard here. I shall be trying to support them a bit more financially but it’s peanuts, so if anyone knows someone with a couple of hundred grand spare that would be great. 

Thanks for that , hope to get to a Skolars game this season for the first time

There was an article in the RLE,in December,where it mentioned the club were after investment,as it seems Mr McNeil will be spending more time abroad,and Mr Browne mentioned his age and his desire to stand down.

I haven't seen any more mention of London Skolars since then.

I was expecting much more input on the matter. 

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

4 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Not yet. Seems they got the Skolars’ hopes up but then Argyle came up with some cashflow excuse and it didn’t happen 

Thought he was supposed to be a Billionaire, mind you David Anthony Argyle, Brazilian resident and Australian National, born in 1961 does appear on Companies House as a Director of some UK companies, is this the same bloke? 

1 minute ago, Hemi4561 said:

Thought he was supposed to be a Billionaire, mind you David Anthony Argyle, Brazilian resident and Australian National, born in 1961 does appear on Companies House as a Director of some UK companies, is this the same bloke? 

Probably, he's got a stake in some mining interests in Brazil. Billionaire though? In £ GBP not so sure, maybe high hundreds of million £ at a stretch. 

17 minutes ago, Hemi4561 said:

And the net value of the companies he is a director of? 

His companies could be worth trillions but it's disposable 'cash' that matters for such as this supposed investment...... On paper, thanks to the value of my house, I'm worth a few bob but that doesn't help me to buy things.

1 hour ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

His companies could be worth trillions but it's disposable 'cash' that matters for such as this supposed investment...... On paper, thanks to the value of my house, I'm worth a few bob but that doesn't help me to buy things.

His two "investment" companies appear to have a net worth, combined, of around minus 4 million, that would seem to be owed mostly to one shareholder, want to guess as to whom that might be. Wonder whether those companies actually invest in something themselves, or just give advice. Either way I will not be using them. 

3 hours ago, Angelic Cynic said:

There was an article in the RLE,in December,where it mentioned the club were after investment,as it seems Mr McNeil will be spending more time abroad,and Mr Browne mentioned his age and his desire to stand down.

I haven't seen any more mention of London Skolars since then.

I was expecting much more input on the matter. 

The club is being active and are pursing a number of avenues but I think the next season is likely to be a ‘treading water’ one. The squad is stable, the set up secure and coach is excellent but we’re not competing on an even playing field in terms of access to players, cost, media exposure et al, We do really compete with one arm tied behind our backs. I’m a shareholder so I know lots going on, but Its gutting Argyll hasn’t delivered (yet). 

Interestingly enough the "london clash"  between Toronto Wolfpack and St Helens at Allianz Park is still not on sale on the Saracens Website. Skolars were to be on the undercard for this.

Given that Allianz Park has to be rented for this game, maybe "cash flow" problems again for Mr Argyle. If I was from St Helens,  I would not book travel and overnight accomodation just yet...

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

23 minutes ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Interestingly enough the "london clash"  between Toronto Wolfpack and St Helens at Allianz Park is still not on sale on the Saracens Website. Skolars were to be on the undercard for this.

Given that Allianz Park has to be rented for this game, maybe "cash flow" problems again for Mr Argyle. If I was from St Helens,  I would not book travel and overnight accomodation just yet...

Yeah funnily enough was looking to go to this and have been checking on and off for tickets and still nothing.

12 hours ago, Hemi4561 said:

His two "investment" companies appear to have a net worth, combined, of around minus 4 million, that would seem to be owed mostly to one shareholder, want to guess as to whom that might be. Wonder whether those companies actually invest in something themselves, or just give advice. Either way I will not be using them. 

Are they the ones based in Canada? Could be a tax scheme (invest and lose money - tax break). Although I'd admit 4mill is looking for a huge tax break

(My dad did something similar a few years ago at the advice of his accountant - purposefully invest in failing business to earn a tax break)

1 minute ago, Gray1967 said:

Yeah funnily enough was looking to go to this and have been checking on and off for tickets and still nothing.

Me too, I just sent the scaries an email about it.  I'll update here when I hear about it!

2 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

I have to say I’ve struggled to understand how this benefits us in terms of exposure given how far away it is from NE London. Not sure if we’re getting a share of takings when (if) it happens. Perhaps the TWP London fans will adopt us as their second team and start heading to New River! 

19 hours ago, Hemi4561 said:

Tbone, I thought this post made it perfectly clear, UK companies.

I doubt it that an apparent global operator, supposedly a Billionaire, would not be able to raise enough liquid capital to invest in Skolars if that is what he said he would do, should be pocket change to him. This paragraph is not related to your post Tbone, this is a comment on the idea that he was to "invest" in Skolars but seems not to have done. 

23 minutes ago, Hemi4561 said:

I doubt it that an apparent global operator, supposedly a Billionaire, would not be able to raise enough liquid capital to invest in Skolars if that is what he said he would do, should be pocket change to him. This paragraph is not related to your post Tbone, this is a comment on the idea that he was to "invest" in Skolars but seems not to have done. 

Business deals fall through all the time for various reasons.  Who knows why the investment in Skolars hasn't been forthcoming.

22 minutes ago, Hemi4561 said:

Then those losses can be counted against any UK based earnings for capital gains breaks.

I'm still hopeful that he will invest in skolars. The two clubs seem to have a strong working relationship - maybe he's waiting for next tax year?

6 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Odd that tickets aren’t on sale, I was looking to go along.

Toronto can seem a bit smoke-and-mirrors at times.

3 hours ago, EssexRL said:

I have to say I’ve struggled to understand how this benefits us in terms of exposure given how far away it is from NE London. Not sure if we’re getting a share of takings when (if) it happens. Perhaps the TWP London fans will adopt us as their second team and start heading to New River! 

Yeah definitely, it can’t do any harm playing in front of a bigger crowd than usual, especially if some of them are curious Londoners (ie open minded Union fans). 

6 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Based on previous history, I would ring Saracens up first.

Toronto v Wigan at the Manchester Regional Arena springs to mind.

Archived