Mose Masoe operated on after serious spinal injury

17 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Every one of these scares me into not wanting to play on the following saturday.... I've only just got over the Fatiolofa one at Gloucester

Thankfully they are pretty rare, but I agree, every time there is a story like this it brings into focus exactly what these guys are putting themselves through. Puts everything into perspective. 

Latest update is that he is showing signs of improvement, although what that means exactly I aren't sure. Earlier reports were saying he had no feeling in his legs. 

A just giving page has been set up, which I don't like the sound of tbh (the fact that it is deemed that serious to warrant one, not the fact that people are raising money). 

Really shocking this was at the game and Mose was looked after well from a spectator perspective they really took toime wiith him be fore he was stretchered off. 

Never like to see players suffer injuries the game is hard enough without them. I sincerely hope he fully recovers and as quickly as possible. Fingers crossed for the prognosis to ne positive.

43 minutes ago, MZH said:

Latest update is that he is showing signs of improvement, although what that means exactly I aren't sure. Earlier reports were saying he had no feeling in his legs. 

A just giving page has been set up, which I don't like the sound of tbh (the fact that it is deemed that serious to warrant one, not the fact that people are raising money). 

Just in case anyone was interested in donating, the link is:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/hull-kingston-rovers-trust

9 hours ago, Wollongong said:

The contact looked so innocuous... (just seen the game on Trinity TV) ... although I had an auntie who once fractured a vertebra sneezing. 

may you have a full and timely recovery Mose.... 

I've seen it too.  It looks like just a run of the mill defensive tackle.

A young lad in my son's old youth team fractured a vertebra in his lower back playing rugby.  The lad didn't realise and went to school for a fortnight before it was diagnosed.  He was strapped to a bed in hospital to stop him moving the moment it was discovered.  Fortunately, he's fine now, although he quit rugby as a result.

However, Mose's tackle was so innocuous that I wonder if he'd already done something prior to this and hadn't realised.

I hope the big fella has a full recovery.

Not what anyone wants to see when they go to a game, and somehow seems worse given that it was in a friendly (and also Danny Brough's testimonial). You'd be feeling pretty bad if something like that happened in your testimonial, I'd have thought. But all thoughts with the big man: hopefully he can make a full recovery.

Hull Daily Mail reporting that it is career ending. An artificial disc in his neck failed and pinched his spinal cord, hence why he lost the feeling in his legs and why he was operated on.

Its sad that this looks like the end of his career, but the important thing is that he can get back on his feet and enjoy his retirement without any more issues. It does sound like he is doing ok relatively speaking. 

I think Tony Smith's line about it being seen as a success if he is able to walk again is what shows the magnitude of the injury.

I've donated to the page that has been set up and hope that he can make a recovery that allows him a good quality of life with his young family.

On 14/01/2020 at 10:12, MZH said:

After making the tackle he falls head first into the thigh/knee of the Rovers full back. That looks the most likely place that it happened. 

Leading with the head obviously makes you more susceptible to these kinds of injuries. The rugby codes and gridiron carry that risk with the forward motion of the upper body into challenges, and especially going head down into tackles. 

1 hour ago, MZH said:

Its sad that this looks like the end of his career, but the important thing is that he can get back on his feet and enjoy his retirement without any more issues. It does sound like he is doing ok relatively speaking. 

“If he can walk again” would indicate his long term prognosis is unknown at this stage. For now though, 13k has been raised to help his recovery and whatever adaptations he will need to his home. He will need a lot more than that.

After a great day for the sport with the RLWC draw, this doesn't half bring you back down.

Very sad that his career is over, but if he can make a recovery to live a full life that's the important thing.

As has been said, his long term prognosis seems unclear, we can only hope for good news.

Archived