Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Total Rugby League

Championship & League 1 play-off structure, 1895 Cup final before Challenge Cup final

Recommended Posts

The RFL have changed the play-off structure ahead of the 2020 Championship & League 1 campaigns. Clubs will no longer hold home advantage throughout the...

View the full article

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Four less neutral attendees here. Thought the kick off times were ideal last year as it gave us time to travel down in the morning, check in to our hotel then watch the Challenge Cup curtain raiser and then the 1895 main event.

We had already booked the Saturday night for this year based on the same kick off times but the new kick off time means we wouldn't be able to access the hotel in time for getting to Wembley in time for the 1895 final.

End result, hotel cancelled and we'll just wait and see if Leigh get to either final(!) and do a day trip on the train. Although we risk missing out on the cheaper advance train tickets, it will still work out cheaper than paying for two nights in a hotel.

Well done to the RFL for doing the right thing on the play off venues though.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Well done to the RFL for doing the right thing on the play off venues though.

Yep, shame, that having learnt the hard way that this was the right way to do it about 20 years ago, we had to re-learn this lesson once again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Four less neutral attendees here. Thought the kick off times were ideal last year as it gave us time to travel down in the morning, check in to our hotel then watch the Challenge Cup curtain raiser and then the 1895 main event.

We had already booked the Saturday night for this year based on the same kick off times but the new kick off time means we wouldn't be able to access the hotel in time for getting to Wembley in time for the 1895 final.

End result, hotel cancelled and we'll just wait and see if Leigh get to either final(!) and do a day trip on the train. Although we risk missing out on the cheaper advance train tickets, it will still work out cheaper than paying for two nights in a hotel.

Well done to the RFL for doing the right thing on the play off venues though.

Unfortunately not everyone can be pleased, I stayed for the 1895 final with my mate who was a Widnes fan, and tbh it was embarrassing and boring. I expect it to be a far better atmosphere and occasion this year.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Unfortunately not everyone can be pleased, I stayed for the 1895 final with my mate who was a Widnes fan, and tbh it was embarrassing and boring. I expect it to be a far better atmosphere and occasion this year.

I don't think many people will be turning up at 12 either to be honest Dave because of the rush to get there at that time. The later kick off was very much the lesser of two evils in my view. Hope it is a success all the same. Without wishing to necessarily repeat myself whenever this topic comes up, but personally I'd be scrapping the Bash and hosting the 1895 Cup Final at Blackpool as a standalone event, as was the case with the Northern Rail Cup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Obviously the new structure in the play offs is much fairer, but I still think that being a final with so much at stake it should be played at a neutral venue, the league leaders have still recieved their reward of only needing to win one game to reach the final. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"In further positive news, Sky Sports have confirmed they will broadcast the entirety of the 2020 Championship play-offs after impressive viewing figures last year"

Scotchy won't like this news!

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Four less neutral attendees here. Thought the kick off times were ideal last year as it gave us time to travel down in the morning, check in to our hotel then watch the Challenge Cup curtain raiser and then the 1895 main event.

We had already booked the Saturday night for this year based on the same kick off times but the new kick off time means we wouldn't be able to access the hotel in time for getting to Wembley in time for the 1895 final.

End result, hotel cancelled and we'll just wait and see if Leigh get to either final(!) and do a day trip on the train. Although we risk missing out on the cheaper advance train tickets, it will still work out cheaper than paying for two nights in a hotel.

Well done to the RFL for doing the right thing on the play off venues though.

Or you could have just rang the hotel reception and asked to leave your bags there, like any hotel in the world allows you to?

  • Like 9
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Gav Wilson said:

Or you could have just rang the hotel reception and asked to leave your bags there, like any hotel in the world allows you to?

Yes I'm sure that would have been fine and maybe I didn't phrase it well, but the point remains that leaving on Saturday morning to have enough time to get to the hotel, drop the bags off and then get to Wembley for 12 (ideally earlier) is a big ask in anyone's book.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

I don't think many people will be turning up at 12 either to be honest Dave because of the rush to get there at that time. The later kick off was very much the lesser of two evils in my view. Hope it is a success all the same. Without wishing to necessarily repeat myself whenever this topic comes up, but personally I'd be scrapping the Bash and hosting the 1895 Cup Final at Blackpool as a standalone event, as was the case with the Northern Rail Cup.

The difference we will have is with people maybe heading in at 1pm for the 2nd half.

The perfect illustration of this is the difference with the previous double headers at Wembley:

NZ v Wales as the first game finished with a very healthy crowd, and a bustling atmosphere. Australia v Fiji (and Widnes v Sheffield) finished with pretty much empty grounds with only the die-hards remaining in the ground. This way, Sheffield would have picked up the trophy at 1.55pm with maybe 20k plus in the ground instead of less than 10% of that. 

Events should build up rather than fizzle out.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Yes I'm sure that would have been fine and maybe I didn't phrase it well, but the point remains that leaving on Saturday morning to have enough time to get to the hotel, drop the bags off and then get to Wembley for 12 (ideally earlier) is a big ask in anyone's book.

But getting transport home after the late kick off was also a challenge. I know it was for us as we had to leave shortly after the 2nd half kicked off.

It is a very safe bet that the 1895 Cup Final will have a far bigger crowd in the stadium than last year.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

But getting transport home after the late kick off was also a challenge. I know it was for us as we had to leave shortly after the 2nd half kicked off.

It is a very safe bet that the 1895 Cup Final will have a far bigger crowd in the stadium than last year.

Whether that bigger crowd will be paying any attention to the game - I'm thinking every Magic weekend ever where you get team A playing team B to the background noise of team Cs fans - is another matter. In terms of the post-match transport, I think that's always going to be a challenge when trying to do a double header where one of the games is set in stone as 3pm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Whether that bigger crowd will be paying any attention to the game - I'm thinking every Magic weekend ever where you get team A playing team B to the background noise of team Cs fans - is another matter. In terms of the post-match transport, I think that's always going to be a challenge when trying to do a double header where one of the games is set in stone as 3pm.

I think you are unfairly talking down the atmosphere at Magic. The lesser games always have a far better atmosphere with more neutrals in, as they usually applaud and respect the players. 

I think we shouldn't forget as well that the likes of Leigh, Widnes, Bradford, Fev etc who may fancy their chances of making the final have rivalries with some fans of clubs hoping to make the CC Final, and I think the atmosphere will be decent. 

The Final last year wasn't a very good experience at all.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

"In further positive news, Sky Sports have confirmed they will broadcast the entirety of the 2020 Championship play-offs after impressive viewing figures last year"

Scotchy won't like this news!

What a joke!  Playoffs had good figures put some more champ games on sky then!  Sigh...grumble grumble... sky....grumble grumble

(Sky's the joke not the viewing figures statement)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Obviously the new structure in the play offs is much fairer, but I still think that being a final with so much at stake it should be played at a neutral venue, the league leaders have still recieved their reward of only needing to win one game to reach the final. 

Now they have made this tweak, I think it is fine, I think it is a very good reward for finishing top.

I think we have seen at Old Trafford that the neutral venue is a huge leveller. In the last 15 years, the League Leaders have won the Final only 6 times, with 9 Champions finishing lower down. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Four less neutral attendees here. Thought the kick off times were ideal last year as it gave us time to travel down in the morning, check in to our hotel then watch the Challenge Cup curtain raiser and then the 1895 main event.

We had already booked the Saturday night for this year based on the same kick off times but the new kick off time means we wouldn't be able to access the hotel in time for getting to Wembley in time for the 1895 final.

End result, hotel cancelled and we'll just wait and see if Leigh get to either final(!) and do a day trip on the train. Although we risk missing out on the cheaper advance train tickets, it will still work out cheaper than paying for two nights in a hotel.

Well done to the RFL for doing the right thing on the play off venues though.

This has to be a wind up..........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

I don't think many people will be turning up at 12 either to be honest Dave because of the rush to get there at that time. The later kick off was very much the lesser of two evils in my view. Hope it is a success all the same. Without wishing to necessarily repeat myself whenever this topic comes up, but personally I'd be scrapping the Bash and hosting the 1895 Cup Final at Blackpool as a standalone event, as was the case with the Northern Rail Cup.

So probably the only person on here who didnt call for the final to be a curtain raiser just happened to book his hotel...... What's up with you man? - drop your bags and go to the game.

Dont forget this match isnt supposed to have a massive crowd - you will get a few 1000 for kick off then by the last 10 mins there could be 30,000 in so it's a great occasion for the smaller clubs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder how many will be in the stadium to watch the schools' game now that it is to kick-off in the morning even before the 1895 Final ?

Why not play the first half of it at half-time of the 1895 Final and the second half at half-time of the main event ?

OK a long wait between the two halves but would you have complained as a schoolboy if you had to do that so long as you were playing at Wembley and then guaranteed to be in front of a capaci... oopps, large crowd ?

What else will be the half-time entertainment if not the schools' match ?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

I wonder how many will be in the stadium to watch the schools' game now that it is to kick-off in the morning even before the 1895 Final ?

Why not play the first half of it at half-time of the 1895 Final and the second half at half-time of the main event ?

OK a long wait between the two halves but would you have complained as a schoolboy if you had to do that so long as you were playing at Wembley and then guaranteed to be in front of a capaci... oopps, large crowd ?

What else will be the half-time entertainment if not the schools' match ?

The Rugby League Highlights (or whatever the cheerleader group is called these days)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

The Rugby League Highlights (or whatever the cheerleader group is called these days)?

Maybe ... but would you prefer to watch the RL stars of the future (and give them some encouragement to continue playing the game) or watch lots of girls dancing about in short skir ......... yes, I see what you mean !  lol ?

At my age the rugby would get me more excited !

 

Edited by RL does what Sky says

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Dave T said:

The difference we will have is with people maybe heading in at 1pm for the 2nd half.

The perfect illustration of this is the difference with the previous double headers at Wembley:

NZ v Wales as the first game finished with a very healthy crowd, and a bustling atmosphere. Australia v Fiji (and Widnes v Sheffield) finished with pretty much empty grounds with only the die-hards remaining in the ground. This way, Sheffield would have picked up the trophy at 1.55pm with maybe 20k plus in the ground instead of less than 10% of that. 

Events should build up rather than fizzle out.

What is the point of an event where the attendees are there to watch something else?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

"In further positive news, Sky Sports have confirmed they will broadcast the entirety of the 2020 Championship play-offs after impressive viewing figures last year"

Scotchy won't like this news!

Viewing figures that impressive they are showing fewer games than last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

What is the point of an event where the attendees are there to watch something else?

Just don't watch it, rather than keep having this debate. We know you don't like it, people have answered the above question many times. You don't like it, that is perfectly fine. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Viewing figures that impressive they are showing fewer games than last year.

That is disingenuous. Assuming they cover Summer Bash their commitment to the Championship remains the same as last year. 

If somebody will pay for another 15 to 20 games to be broadcast, I'm sure they will show them. 

Just like them not showing Catalans games (as things stand) ain't a reflection that they have lost interest in SL. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Just don't watch it, rather than keep having this debate. We know you don't like it, people have answered the above question many times. You don't like it, that is perfectly fine. 

 

That's not the question I asked. Whether it get more people before or after the CC final what does is the point of it if people are there to watch the CC final 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...