Sign in to follow this  
Total Rugby League

Championship & League 1 play-off structure, 1895 Cup final before Challenge Cup final

2 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

So then why arent sky screening more games. They have the opportunity. They could screen the ourleague games. 

The idea that P+R has driven interest and value just isnt borne out by the results. 

Give it chance 

Build it and they will come 

20 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

And EVERYBODY would have thought you would make a comment without actually giving an answer to the question!

I would probably pay quite similar amounts to watch a WSL game compared to a MSL game. Mainly because Super League games aren't particular expensive as it is anyway, so going much lower down than that doesn't benefit many people.

Does that answer your question?

Just now, Click said:

I would probably pay quite similar amounts to watch a WSL game compared to a MSL game. Mainly because Super League games aren't particular expensive as it is anyway, so going much lower down than that doesn't benefit many people.

Does that answer your question?

Yes it does .. and glad to see you would. So presumably you would also pay the same to watch a League 1 game which provides a better standard than a women's SL game ? Or would you only pay it because it is a women's game despite the actual quality of it ?

Just now, RL does what Sky says said:

Yes it does .. and glad to see you would. So presumably you would also pay the same to watch a League 1 game which provides a better standard than a women's SL game ? Or would you only pay it because it is a women's game despite the actual quality of it ?

Do I think a League 1 game gives a better standard thatn a women's SL game? No. I don't. I have been to Skolars plenty of times over the years, and the quality at times has been atrocious. So I would probably pay more to see a WSL game rather than a L1 game.

I don't think we need to get into the whole argument of comparing WSL to League 1 again ..

5 minutes ago, Click said:

Do I think a League 1 game gives a better standard thatn a women's SL game? No. I don't. I have been to Skolars plenty of times over the years, and the quality at times has been atrocious. So I would probably pay more to see a WSL game rather than a L1 game.

I don't think we need to get into the whole argument of comparing WSL to League 1 again ..

OK - difference of opinions.

20 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

The womens challenge cup final i saw before the mens semi finals was very entertaining which is what i would pay for personally... excellent game!!

2 minutes ago, RP London said:

The womens challenge cup final i saw before the mens semi finals was very entertaining which is what i would pay for personally... excellent game!!

That was a cup final. However, would you pay the same to watch Wakefield v York in the women's Super League as you would for a men's Super League game ? My point is that, in answering a previous post which suggested the women's CC final to be played at Wembley even if there was nobody watching, I was just pointing out the cost it might be to stage the event as opposed to the income it would generate (ie How much would it be to keep the stadium open longer to play the game, plus all the associated wages for staff, police, etc, as opposed to the number of people willing to pay to watch it ?)

It's OK saying everyone should be treated equally but surely there has to be a balance between equality just for the sake of it and how much it might cost to provide it.

4 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

That was a cup final. However, would you pay the same to watch Wakefield v York in the women's Super League as you would for a men's Super League game ? My point is that, in answering a previous post which suggested the women's CC final to be played at Wembley even if there was nobody watching, I was just pointing out the cost it might be to stage the event as opposed to the income it would generate (ie How much would it be to keep the stadium open longer to play the game, plus all the associated wages for staff, police, etc, as opposed to the number of people willing to pay to watch it ?)

It's OK saying everyone should be treated equally but surely there has to be a balance between equality just for the sake of it and how much it might cost to provide it.

So the RFL should just cancel the CC final in Wembley all together then. How long has it been since that turned a profit?

6 minutes ago, Click said:

So the RFL should just cancel the CC final in Wembley all together then. How long has it been since that turned a profit?

I don't know ... but even it is has been a loss then it's better having a smaller loss than a bigger one.

1 hour ago, RL does what Sky says said:

I would stay to watch it... and from many of the people in the stand around me i would say they would as well (loads got there for the kick off so they wanted to see it) probably as many as the 1895 cup i would guess.. 

would i pay to watch it as a stand alone? depends what else was on.. would i pay to watch the 1895 cup final as a stand alone if my teams was not in it? no.. (would i have hung around at wembley to watch it if eagles were not in it? not to the end no)

in my view the womens CC is more viable than the mens 1895 cup... 

your last point is a different debate about how you get to the point of equal rights for all which is a much wider debate 

edit: sorry i missed one other point.. yes i would go and watch the womens super league and i would pay to do so happily.. i thought the game was fantastic and I would like to see more of it for sure and yes i would happily pay the same 

Edited by RP London
  • Like 1

Sky can't screen the our league games Scotchy because they aren't quite at broadcasting production standards required, that costs a far greater sum of money. It they were at the required standard, Sky would snap up that live sports content for free like they did with Toronto & Catalans. 

• Like 1

On 14/01/2020 at 11:16, RP London said:

As an Eagles fan that was there in 1998 as well i thoroughly loved the 1895 cup and winning another cup at Wembley and by the looks on the players faces they did too.. what was a massive shame is that most people had left that didnt support those 2 teams.. if it had been before hand the atmosphere would have been superb as people get there, see a good game going on and get sucked in (i know i do, i do it when channel surfing on sky sports too for sports i dont even "support" it drives my wife nuts!)

Yes i was going to the challenge cup final already as Warrington were in it but as soon as Eagles made the 1895 cup i re arranged a few things to make sure we could stay to watch it (it cost me a fortune as it then meant a night over and the wife, mother in law and daughter also decided to go down to london to watch Matilda!) but it was worth it. (if it had been a stand alone i would have gone, if the 1895 semis had been before the challenge cup ones i would have bought the tickets anyway, the added bonus would then have been wire getting to the challenge cup final rather than vice versa). 

It is not a perfect comp but this change makes it better. 

there is nothing wrong with the division below being a support act. To use the analogy of pop concerts I have seen some great bands as support acts before they make it big. Many want to be support acts to show their talent on stage where there will be agents and potential fans watching etc.. its the same for the players at those clubs. It is not meant to rival the Challenge cup it is meant to be the step down for the lower division clubs.. but they get to play on a great stage.. enjoy it (or dont)

OMG what a day out that must've been for you as a Wire & Eagles fan!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mrfranco said:

OMG what a day out that must've been for you as a Wire & Eagles fan!!

My son was beside himself (hes 11).. unbelievable day.. what an experience!

• Like 1

On 15/01/2020 at 21:51, Smudger06 said:

Sky can't screen the our league games Scotchy because they aren't quite at broadcasting production standards required, that costs a far greater sum of money. It they were at the required standard, Sky would snap up that live sports content for free like they did with Toronto & Catalans. 

Then what is the point of OurLeague streaming games? 

People arebt watching them, they cant be sold on, where is the realisation of any revenue going to come from 

At the moment it's to learn how to run an app and gradually improve it whilst simultaneously gathering highly valuable marketing information. This has been mentioned already. 

8.5k is the highest live match viewing figure on our league at the moment. That's 1895 Cup. 

30k is the highest live match viewing figure on twitch at the moment. That's League 1.