Positive impact on Leeds' season?

Scubby

Sad and tragic things can often have a galvanising effect on things. The awful situation Rob Burrow finds himself in actually gave the Leeds club and fans themselves something to focus on - as well as being able to help. Home grown stars, nostalgia, recent triumphs and, of course, the first time the new stadium configuration has been packed to the limits.

Leeds fans will know better than me, but is there a chance this can have a real supercharged effect on the club and its efforts this season? Normally, the pre-season testimonial pulls in 5-6k and it is all very low key. This actually provided a super charged boost in what it means to be associated with Leeds. If I was in that current squad, or a season ticket holder, I would feel 8 feet tall at the moment wanting Leeds to do well.

Can Leeds build and challenge, or will Agar get mediocrity back on track?

I'm not sure that game or the situation will make much difference to how well Leeds perform this year. They have a marginally better squad than the last few years but still have a large number of players who have consistently underperformed and they have a coach who has never performed.

I think they'll finish higher up the league table than last year but I seriously doubt they will mount a title challenge

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

A lot will depend on how the half backs go. I know everyone says forwards win games. Which undoubtedly they do but a good half back can get a bit more out of a pack and drive them on. Can Gale push this Leeds pack and turn them into a top 3/4 side. 

1 hour ago, Saint Toppy said:

I'm not sure that game or the situation will make much difference to how well Leeds perform this year. They have a marginally better squad than the last few years but still have a large number of players who have consistently underperformed and they have a coach who has never performed.

I think they'll finish higher up the league table than last year but I seriously doubt they will mount a title challenge

For marginally see: 

Lui > Lolohea 

Gale > Myler 

Mellor > Ferris

Prior > Singleton 

Trent Merrin leaving still needs to be addressed and there is space in the cap for that but a fit again Stevie Ward is a more than capable like for like replacement currently. I think they'll just edge into the top 5 but agree they're no threat in terms of actually getting to Old Trafford.

Cant see Old Trafford being threatened, a good draw could see the Challenge Cup being won (though same applies to all SL clubs!), but as long as we are nowhere near the bottom like last year and ill be happy. Consolidate this year, hopefully add to the squad and build for future years.

1 minute ago, Chrispmartha said:

I think Leeds might surprise a few people but we won’t be winning any trophies bar an easy CC draw

5th is my prediction but with some good performances throughout the year - and id be more than happy with that after the last 2 years

I would go along with this. I’m still concerned about the back 3 who looked shaky at the weekend. Walker is a long way from the finished product and continually makes mistakes, whilst his linking up with the attacking line leaves a lot to be desired. Handley is ok but nothing more (a long way from international quality) and Newman still looks lost on the wing and will get targeted under the high ball. I hope Tom Briscoe comes back ASAP. 

The pack and halves look better and McLelland looked good with Lui, whilst Leeming will also add something and Ward will be a big plus if he can stay fit

6 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

For marginally see: 

Lui > Lolohea 

Gale > Myler 

Mellor > Ferris

Prior > Singleton 

Trent Merrin leaving still needs to be addressed and there is space in the cap for that but a fit again Stevie Ward is a more than capable like for like replacement currently. I think they'll just edge into the top 5 but agree they're no threat in terms of actually getting to Old Trafford.

Mickolaj Oledski and Cameron Smith have both looked good in pre season so far   and Harry Newman is very highly rated too. All 3 are a year older and more experienced.

We had a lot of injuries last year, if that can be avoided and with the strengthened squad, I too would put us at 5th.

I wouldn’t write anyone off reaching the grand final just yet, after Salford getting there in 2019.

Archived