Has Sky TV sounded the death knell for ‘Franchising’?

Given that Sky TV has now been very positive about the Championship playoffs in the last few days - does that mean no closed shop while they are lead broadcaster?

I know the overall subject is an emotional old chestnut.

But Sky’s influence will surely ensure promotion/relegation for the conceivable future with all it’s positive/negative points.

5 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Given that Sky TV has now been very positive about the Championship playoffs in the last few days - does that mean no closed shop while they are lead broadcaster?

I know the overall subject is an emotional old chestnut.

But Sky’s influence will surely ensure promotion/relegation for the conceivable future with all it’s positive/negative points.

I think Sky's opinions are over-stated on things like this. They want a number of games to televise and deliver the viewing figures. 

Sure some games may get a bit better figures, but we are talking tens of thousands in many cases, and I don't see these numbers leading to huge subscription changes. 

Sky have happily covered normal P&R, Super 8's, licensing, and the current structure.

10 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I think Sky's opinions are over-stated on things like this. They want a number of games to televise and deliver the viewing figures. 

Sure some games may get a bit better figures, but we are talking tens of thousands in many cases, and I don't see these numbers leading to huge subscription changes. 

Sky have happily covered normal P&R, Super 8's, licensing, and the current structure.

Fair enough, do you think the Championship would be televised at all on Sky if it was not feeding into the top flight?

22 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Fair enough, do you think the Championship would be televised at all on Sky if it was not feeding into the top flight?

Probably not. Wasn't it shown on Premier during licensing. 

1 minute ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I’m not sure, I can’t remember.

If it was on Premier, I assume it’s because it wasn’t seen as worth showing in its format then by Sky at that time.

Even now, Sky are showing the minimum amount. The numbers we are talking about are easily replaced for them. 

That is a shame. 

36 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I doubt Sky would want to show the championship if there was no P&R, as it would become an utterly insignificant competition, much like the bottom half of Super League would. 

What about Club pride fighting to avoid coming last in the competition. It's called the wooden spoon in the southern hemisphere and Clubs fight to avoid the embarrassment of the wooden spoon! 

2 minutes ago, kiwis 13 6 said:

What about Club pride fighting to avoid coming last in the competition. It's called the wooden spoon in the southern hemisphere and Clubs fight to avoid the embarrassment of the wooden spoon! 

What about club pride fighting to play at a higher level by proving they are good enough ' on the pitch ' ?

22 minutes ago, kiwis 13 6 said:

Well if someone wants to watch that they can, but I wouldn’t. 

1 hour ago, kiwis 13 6 said:

What about millions of dollars in TV rights, Sponsorship and youth development going down the drain ?

And yet SKY have just announced they are to broadcast the Championship play offs , which they didn't do when there was no P and R ?

56 minutes ago, Eddie said:

What are you on about?

If Catalan Dragons or Toronto get relegated millions lost off there budgets not to mention all hard the work thats gone into getting both sides to where they are and highly likely may not be around or able fight for promotion again. However It is good that Championship is covered by Sky and P & R is great for north of England sides to retain there market share, not so good for an international competition seeking fixed term broadcasting rights and sponsors. 

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

None what so ever , but it does indicate interest , that wasn't there under licencing 

Of course it does ?, why on earth would they have shown it before. If anyone wants an example of what P&R does they just have to look at what’s happened to non league football in this country since the football league stopped their closed shop, it’s boomed. 

4 minutes ago, kiwis 13 6 said:

If Catalan Dragons or Toronto get relegated millions lost off there budgets not to mention all hard the work thats gone into getting both sides to where they are and highly likely may not be around or able fight for promotion again. However It is good that Championship is covered by Sky and P & R is great for north of England sides to retain there market share, not so good for an international competition seeking fixed term broadcasting rights and sponsors. 

If Catalans or Toronto go down it’s because they deserve to, based on their results on the pitch. I appreciate that other countries see things differently when it comes to things like P&R and wooden spoons and that’s fine, but it’s not possible to impose Australian sports culture in the UK. 

Anyway what about if Castleford or Huddersfield go down, doesn’t that matter to you or is it just Toronto and Catalans who don’t deserve to go down if they finish bottom?

5 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Not really. Sky already own the rights as wood bundled them together. It doesnt really cost them anything to screen them.

Previously they would have had to put together a package in competition with others

It doesn't cost them anything but they didn't show them before even though they did have those rights.

1 minute ago, scotchy1 said:

They showed more before than they will next season.

Prior to that it was on other channels who showed more than sky will next year. 

Thats not quite true though is it. They showed Toronto games because Toronto paid for them to be shown - so that shouldn't be counted. They've shown Summer Bash since it was made iirc and will again. Prior to the return of P/R sky only showed the grand final and premier dumped them as soon as they got wind of the forthcoming Sky deal.

The difference this year is that there will be a significantly higher number of games streamed by the RFL (with the blessing of Sky), as well as the bash and Play offs on sky.

Simple solution for SL is to guarantee places to a national presence, so at the moment 12 English places where P&R take place between English/Welsh SL clubs and the Championship. The other places are international franchises, so the league only expands if a foreign team makes SL. The natural thing to do then is offer another place to France and then offer bids for the final place to make it 16 teams. Franchises are then for 3 years. This way foreign teams avoid relegation unless there is a viable reason for them to be in the championship but only after the 3 year licence.

22 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Thats not quite true though is it. They showed Toronto games because Toronto paid for them to be shown - so that shouldn't be counted. They've shown Summer Bash since it was made iirc and will again. Prior to the return of P/R sky only showed the grand final and premier dumped them as soon as they got wind of the forthcoming Sky deal.

The difference this year is that there will be a significantly higher number of games streamed by the RFL (with the blessing of Sky), as well as the bash and Play offs on sky.

Yup. It is exactly the same as the Catalans games being unlikely to be shown on Sky this year. 

5 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Yup. It is exactly the same as the Catalans games being unlikely to be shown on Sky this year. 

Exactly. I also think its important with the streaming and playoffs etc for the Championship to show it has value without Toronto in it.

Archived