superleague.co.uk

Dave T

What is the point of this site? What is the approach that the game is taking here?

Yesterday saw one of the biggest RL events for a while in terms of media reach over here. The Rob Burrow game was extremely special despite the sadness surrounding it. 

Go to the official Superleague site - not a mention. The last news story was 3 days ago, nothing about the games that were on over the weekend. Sure the social media accounts were lively and sharing plenty over the weekend, but neither this site, nor the RFL's has the clips of the Leeds v Bradford game. Or the other games yesterday.

On the flip side, SkySports website has a handful of features about Burrow and the game yesterday, stuff on Masoe, the WC draw, the Betfred Championship coverage, the England Manager role and more. 

How can we complain about other media sources not taking us serious when ours is dire?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Dave T said:

What is the point of this site? What is the approach that the game is taking here?

Yesterday saw one of the biggest RL events for a while in terms of media reach over here. The Rob Burrow game was extremely special despite the sadness surrounding it. 

Go to the official Superleague site - not a mention. The last news story was 3 days ago, nothing about the games that were on over the weekend. Sure the social media accounts were lively and sharing plenty over the weekend, but neither this site, nor the RFL's has the clips of the Leeds v Bradford game. Or the other games yesterday.

On the flip side, SkySports website has a handful of features about Burrow and the game yesterday, stuff on Masoe, the WC draw, the Betfred Championship coverage, the England Manager role and more. 

How can we complain about other media sources not taking us serious when ours is dire?

If websites had feelings I think superleague.co.uk would feel unloved and uncared for.

Not a good advert I'll agree.

We've had some new rules though.

2 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

If websites had feelings I think superleague.co.uk would feel unloved and uncared for.

Not a good advert I'll agree.

We've had some new rules though.

It feels like a shell of a site for a dodgy company tbh. If I was buying expensive goods via them I'd be unsure whether they were genuine based on the site. 

You are absolutely right, but I would be interested to see just how many people go to places like that for their news these days. As you say the social media channels for both SL and the RFL have been good recently. 

If they can get Facebook, Twitter and Insta working well and get more good content on YouTube then that's more important than the website imo. 

46 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Is this the same site that shows stats on a player by player as well as team by team basis?

I’ve always thought that more should be done in bridging the gap between the analytical work by the teams and watching spectator, by way of better match reporting.

By better I mean perhaps using more analytical techniques to illustrate what is happening and why on the pitch.

36 minutes ago, MZH said:

You are absolutely right, but I would be interested to see just how many people go to places like that for their news these days. As you say the social media channels for both SL and the RFL have been good recently. 

If they can get Facebook, Twitter and Insta working well and get more good content on YouTube then that's more important than the website imo. 

I agree that the social stuff is cru ial, but that shouldn't mean the website should be neglected. 

I like the RFL site, but now SL have broken away the coverage and stats are worse than ever. Weren't things meant to be better? 

6 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Is this the same site that shows stats on a player by player as well as team by team basis?

I’ve always thought that more should be done in bridging the gap between the analytical work by the teams and watching spectator, by way of better match reporting.

By better I mean perhaps using more analytical techniques to illustrate what is happening and why on the pitch.

Don't get me started on the stats. The old site was useful, the new one is a car crash and impossible to use to review stats. 

3 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

I've been on it but no need to again.

Yes, I rarely visit it, but in the lead up to the season I thought there may be some interesting features. 

I was wrong. 

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

Don't get me started on the stats. The old site was useful, the new one is a car crash and impossible to use to review stats. 

Is there anywhere in RL land that does the kind of in-depth analysis in its match reports that you might get in other sports in say The Athletic?

I find it’s a major barrier to understanding more about what’s happening tactically and strategy wise.

I’m sure vivid try descriptions will always have their place in match reporting, but I want more.

4 hours ago, MZH said:

True but the website should always be the anchor. 

Things like this are simple to update. It doesn't take a great deal of resource to maintain a basic website. It's a port of call for any business and not to keep an website updated is unacceptable and makes tubthumping criticism of the RFL from "Super League" before the breakaway look a bit silly (to be kind)!

3 hours ago, Damien said:

Its really not difficult to keep a decent up to date website though.

You're right, it's not, if it's a priority.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

3 hours ago, Dave T said:

Things that are customer facing like this really should be far better though. It has gone backwards. 

Again, you're right, it should, and it's not difficult to do, providing you have someone or a team to do it.

clearly the website is not enough of a priority.

Content is king, but if you don't have anyone on board who can come up with decent content or a budget to produce it you're left with nothing special.

I've said it for some time, there is a huge knowledge gap in senior levels of the sport. 

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

13 hours ago, Smudger06 said:

True but the website should always be the anchor. 

and also the conduit to these other forms... "go to you tube to see footage" (with link).. a scrolling twitter feed etc... all of which can be done nice and easily on word press ffs!

You speak of priorities @EastLondonMike, surely the basic priority of any Media Department is to ensure your customer facing tools is filled with content that is current, accurate and engaging.

So I guess with your insinuation about priorities, is that a fit for purpose Media Department is not a high priority for the RFL and or SLE (either that runs the shambles of a site), then that would only reinforce my faith (or lack thereof) in either of those organisations to deliver the game to a wider audience.

I think many more of us than not are really at our wits end with the executives running the game in the northern hemisphere.

13 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

You speak of priorities @EastLondonMike, surely the basic priority of any Media Department is to ensure your customer facing tools is filled with content that is current, accurate and engaging.

So I guess with your insinuation about priorities, is that a fit for purpose Media Department is not a high priority for the RFL and or SLE (either that runs the shambles of a site), then that would only reinforce my faith (or lack thereof) in either of those organisations to deliver the game to a wider audience.

I think many more of us than not are really at our wits end with the executives running the game in the northern hemisphere.

Where I am most frustrated is that the RFL site is rather decent (not perfect) - it has some decent content, and used to have interesting SL content (as well as a usable stats section). SL broke away and took charge so they could do all the things that the RFL were doing and do improve them. Anything being worse is unforgivable. 

Archived