Official's for Ike Southward game

Callum Linford 98

Unlucky boys think we threw that one away by the sound of it. Not there but listening to the radio and the comments of peter smith and Paul Crarey they seem to think Chris Thorman will be the happier coach. Both mentioned about the shape we played with so hopefully things will only improve. 

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Deja vu all over again ! But in the bigger picture I’m not overly fussed by these games . We’ve learned they don’t really tell us much over the long run , just get fitness and conditioning in the bodies , gel as a team and work on stuff Chris wants ....and most crucially , get through unscathed . We can’t be absorbing injuries so if we’ve none of them that’s a good hit out .

Haven win in the last minute shocker ? we are our own worst enemies you just knew we wouldn't have the compusure to see the game out. Sounded like a good effort by the lads who didn't let the shirt down, that's all we ask for. Hope the injuries aren't too bad, well done UTT ????????

12 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Deja vu all over again ! But in the bigger picture I’m not overly fussed by these games . We’ve learned they don’t really tell us much over the long run , just get fitness and conditioning in the bodies , gel as a team and work on stuff Chris wants ....and most crucially , get through unscathed . We can’t be absorbing injuries so if we’ve none of them that’s a good hit out .

The only thing you missed out DavidM was “and cut out giving so many penalties away”.  We gave away a lot of both possession and position which proved the difference in the end.  Still I think we are better placed for our league than  Haven are for theirs. 

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

Out of interest, given that John Gibson was commentating and he obviously doesn’t know many town players did any of the trialists get on? He didn’t mention Elliot Miller after the first 10 minutes but did say he had his thigh heavily strapped after the warm up, did he stay on or go off injured? 

The one big downside appeared to be the injury to Caine Barnes, let’s hope it’s not too serious, can’t really afford to lose any forwards. As Paul Crarey said haven were just playing one out with there big forwards but we didn’t have the firepower in the pack. It’s the one area where we look as though we could struggle.

5 hours ago, Cumbria RL said:

If Haven don’t run out healthy winners were in trouble u have a load trialists from barrow county U19s.... 3 or 4.

Haven are definitely in big trouble, gonna struggle to win games with that side.

Town created more and better chances, looked pretty good defensively, still giving away daft penalties, but hewer was taking the ###### with them 3 on the bang. New signings did well, I thought Hall, Fell and Dawson were excellent, very encouraging signs with a few more to come in. Only worries are cains injury, and Miller went of quite early, is there any news in them? 

26 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Was a good hit out was never gonna be a run away for either side as you say about fitness you actually looked good today and us appart from a few bits of brilliance looked 2nd best but you can't look anything into these games let's say it wasn't a classic with 2 very rusty sides 

In brief. That doesnt feel like a defeat. Looking at the two teams, and the experienced vs the inexperienced. CT will be more than happy with that. 

In detail. The two players I wouldn't want to see get injured (miller and barnes) both did. Hope they aren't to serious. Elliot's looked like a hamstring, barnes a knee?

Some the new lads will go really well for us I felt. Gabe Fell looks so comfortable at full back. Hanley Dawson looks like hes played this level for years. And Marwood looks to have improved his passing on last season. I am confident that the addition of a couple.of props will see us just fine. We used the ball really well for a first hit out. And defence was good also. 

My only concerns are that we get some big lads in to help dawson and curwen out. Haven had as many props on the bench as we do in our squad. Doran also looks bigger than Christmas. Had a decent game but I'd have thought CT would have told him to trim down a bit.

Overall. Dissapointing to lose a derby. CT will be by far the happier coach. I'd imagine most haven fans will dread a long season ahead on that showing

Just now, townie88 said:

In brief. That doesnt feel like a defeat. Looking at the two teams, and the experienced vs the inexperienced. CT will be more than happy with that. 

In detail. The two players I wouldn't want to see get injured (miller and barnes) both did. Hope they aren't to serious. Elliot's looked like a hamstring, barnes a knee?

Some the new lads will go really well for us I felt. Gabe Fell looks so comfortable at full back. Hanley Dawson looks like hes played this level for years. And Marwood looks to have improved his passing on last season. I am confident that the addition of a couple.of props will see us just fine. We used the ball really well for a first hit out. And defence was good also. 

My only concerns are that we get some big lads in to help dawson and curwen out. Haven had as many props on the bench as we do in our squad. Doran also looks bigger than Christmas. Had a decent game but I'd have thought CT would have told him to trim down a bit.

Overall. Dissapointing to lose a derby. CT will be by far the happier coach. I'd imagine most haven fans will dread a long season ahead on that showing

Very optimistic pal I'm taking nothing out that game more than a hit out as this is what happend last pre season didn't look good and then wer at it from the first game but it's gonna be huge challenge and we need to improve cos today was pretty dire I think if we did t blow them 3 trys with butter fingers the scoreline would have been better for haven but id rather play bad and win and get the ###### out the way pre season than do it in the league. Defo thorman will be much happier for sure.

5 hours ago, Cumbria RL said:

If Haven don’t run out healthy winners were in trouble u have a load trialists from barrow county U19s.... 3 or 4.

3 minutes ago, Cumbria RL said:

Ridyard and Shorrocks to come in, in fairness draw probably a fair result, town played well and haven played last 10 minutes. Hope the injured on both sides are not as bad as they look.

Quite a change in opinion in such a short space of time, I wouldn’t call a six point win with a try in the dying minutes a healthy win against a team from a lower division with a load of trialists in!

Just now, pensioner said:

Quite a change in opinion in such a short space of time, I wouldn’t call a six point win with a try in the dying minutes a healthy win against a team from a lower division with a load of trialists in!

Town looked the better side for most pal and hats off to them I will admit it 

3 minutes ago, Havenfan13 said:

Very optimistic pal I'm taking nothing out that game more than a hit out as this is what happend last pre season didn't look good and then wer at it from the first game but it's gonna be huge challenge and we need to improve cos today was pretty dire I think if we did t blow them 3 trys with butter fingers the scoreline would have been better for haven but id rather play bad and win and get the ###### out the way pre season than do it in the league. Defo thorman will be much happier for sure.

Town bombed a couple too, so the scoreline wouldn't have been better for haven. You should take from that game, and the battering at Newcastle. Outplayed twice against lower league teams with players missing, while haven had full squads. Very worrying. 

6 minutes ago, dkw said:

Town bombed a couple too, so the scoreline wouldn't have been better for haven. You should take from that game, and the battering at Newcastle. Outplayed twice against lower league teams with players missing, while haven had full squads. Very worrying. 

Sign of a good side to play so bad and come back with 2 quick trys heart and character is what will keep us alright next year pal

35 minutes ago, Keith T said:

The only thing you missed out DavidM was “and cut out giving so many penalties away”.  We gave away a lot of both possession and position which proved the difference in the end.  Still I think we are better placed for our league than  Haven are for theirs. 

Indeed keith . It’s an old chestnut with us . Penalties and errors and making games even tougher than they need be . Hope you’re well keith ?

10 minutes ago, Havenfan13 said:

heart and character is what will keep us alright

Sorry pal that is the biggest myth in sport . It helps and it can get you so far but being good enough is ultimately what tells in any sport 

Archived