New coach for England (Merged Threads)

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Wants someone who understands Super League.  Shouldnt that be ‘understands international rugby league’?

I think he means that as a comment around SL players being overlooked for NRL players, regardless of age, potential or form.

Bit stressed out by that thread title.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Whilst he makes some valid points, there has to be an element of getting your own house in order, both as a club  and a league, before criticising.

Also curious why Lenegan seems to have appointed himself as a spokesperson for Super League chairman as a collective. He's not the only chairman guilty of this though!

1 hour ago, Lowdesert said:

1. Wants someone who understands Super League.  

2. Shouldn't that be ‘understands international rugby league’?

3. Plenty of criticism on the back go the GB tour.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/ian-lenagan-says-super-league-21279589

1. 100%! Bennett knew so little about U.K. based players that he tried to recruit the Morris twins, Ben Hannant, Chris McQueen, Chris Heighington and any other has been Australians who had a grandparent from the U.K., which is only 90% of the Ausie population! He didn’t have a clue who Tommy Makinson was despite him being a star player for one of SLs top clubs for almost a decade and his first question to Tom Johnstone was “who are you” ffs! We played an Aliance style of RL that IMO robbed us of the best chance to win a World Cup since the 70s.

2. Bennett’s record in rep rugby league is not that good! He has one of the worst win % as both Queensland & Australia coach despite those teams being two of THE most dominant in World sport!

3. Totally justified criticism it was a sh*7 show and the buck stops with Wayne Bennett!

4. I know there wasn’t a 4 but I’m adding one! Bennett’s truculence with the media is a disaster for U.K. Rugby League. He can get away with it in Sydney, Brisbane or Australia and still get 8 pages of sport in the national newspapers or big features on TV. His ignorance of how we have to fight for a tiny iota of media recognition was unforgivable! The default attitude of editors is that they need no encouragement to say F’em and tell the few journalists we get not to bother, as National coach his attitude was abysmal.

Great Coach for Brisbane, brilliant domestically but not a good rep coach and a disaster for us.

His suggestion that the appointment of the Great Britain coach should be run past the Super League club bosses is ridiculous.

Whether you're a critic or not of the RFL, can you imagine the consequences of adding to the decision-making process a roomful of people with vested interests who regularly display managerial incompetence.

1 hour ago, OMEGA said:

4. I know there wasn’t a 4 but I’m adding one! Bennett’s truculence with the media is a disaster for U.K. Rugby League. He can get away with it in Sydney, Brisbane or Australia and still get 8 pages of sport in the national newspapers or big features on TV. His ignorance of how we have to fight for a tiny iota of media recognition was unforgivable! The default attitude of editors is that they need no encouragement to say F’em and tell the few journalists we get not to bother, as National coach his attitude was abysmal.

Great Coach for Brisbane, brilliant domestically but not a good rep coach and a disaster for us.

Lenagan had a former,English,national coach in Brian Noble,when he arrived at Wigan.

Lenagan swiftly changed that to an inexperienced coach from overseas,who also oversaw the development of Shaun Wane.

Wayne Bennett is a rugby league coach.He is not an individual responsible for marketing and publicity.

He is guarded in his speech.His sole responsibility is to be a head coach.

This country is overrun with ultracrepidarians wherever I look.Perhaps Piers Morgan,Eamonn Holmes et al should be consulted.

It is the responsibilty of the RFL - not Super League chairs - unless they want to spend their money on the appointment,I suppose.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

10 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

Lenagan had a former,English,national coach in Brian Noble,when he arrived at Wigan.

Lenagan swiftly changed that to an inexperienced coach from overseas,who also oversaw the development of Shaun Wane.

Wayne Bennett is a rugby league coach.He is not an individual responsible for marketing and publicity.

He is guarded in his speech.His sole responsibility is to be a head coach.

This country is overrun with ultracrepidarians wherever I look.Perhaps Piers Morgan,Eamonn Holmes et al should be consulted.

It is the responsibilty of the RFL - not Super League chairs - unless they want to spend their money on the appointment,I suppose.

Really!

You think that the National Coach has no press responsibilities, I mean honestly? In these modern times when even Academy players undergo media training you think a high profile International Coach carries no responsibility to engage the press and media

1 hour ago, OMEGA said:

Really!

You think that the National Coach has no press responsibilities, I mean honestly? In these modern times when even Academy players undergo media training you think a high profile International Coach carries no responsibility to engage the press and media

It's easy if you win.  If you lose it does not matter what a William Shakespeare might say.

14 hours ago, OMEGA said:

1. 100%! Bennett knew so little about U.K. based players that he tried to recruit the Morris twins, Ben Hannant, Chris McQueen, Chris Heighington and any other has been Australians who had a grandparent from the U.K., which is only 90% of the Ausie population! He didn’t have a clue who Tommy Makinson was despite him being a star player for one of SLs top clubs for almost a decade and his first question to Tom Johnstone was “who are you” ffs! We played an Aliance style of RL that IMO robbed us of the best chance to win a World Cup since the 70s.

2. Bennett’s record in rep rugby league is not that good! He has one of the worst win % as both Queensland & Australia coach despite those teams being two of THE most dominant in World sport!

3. Totally justified criticism it was a sh*7 show and the buck stops with Wayne Bennett!

Totally agree about his ignorance regarding our game.  He didnt get off to a great start with the English coaches either.

The International Rep coaching isnt so bad though.  Hes ranked 11th in all time Aussie coaches for the National Team at 76% win ratio and 4th /11 at (50%) for SoO.  He has a good record, especially when you compare him to Craig Bellamy in SoO.

I think the GB debacle was a blend of a few things which culminated in a mess of a Tour all round.  Our season, injured players, strange selections amongst others.

I don't think there is too much to disagree with in an article that is Lenegan's personal opinions provided that is all they are. I agree with the point made about working together, although I find that a bit rich based on the aggressive nature of some of the media stuff that Lenegan and his cronies have been guilty of in the past few years. But I welcome a move towards a more unified approach.

But his views on who should be the England coach should not be considered on any formal basis. It is literally nothing to do with him at all. Clubs should be involved in agreeing to the operating model for Team England or whatever, but who the coach is is entirely down to the RFL.

14 hours ago, OMEGA said:

WTH?

bennett is probably the best queensland coach ever.

meninga and that muppet walters got gifted a team with four immortals in it.

lets see how meninga goes now with an average australian side.  and his record as canberra coach was terrible.  as was walters for les catalans.

Bennet does stick with the same players especially if they are from the NRL.

GB tour was very disappointing, only 2 wingers both out of form and even after Sam Tomkins was star man in the 9s ( and after playing very well in 2018 games against NZ) he refused to bite the bullet and keep him in for the GB games.

Time for a change.

4 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

Bennet does stick with the same players especially if they are from the NRL.

GB tour was very disappointing, only 2 wingers both out of form and even after Sam Tomkins was star man in the 9s ( and after playing very well in 2018 games against NZ) he refused to bite the bullet and keep him in for the GB games.

Time for a change.

Most coaches at that level do, but I’m not sure now is time for a change.  If not for the World Cup, I think the decision might have been easier for the selectors.

18 hours ago, OMEGA said:

Really!

Well,the manager of the global brand that is Manchester United managed to avoid being interviewed by the BBC despite the Premier League ruling that they do involve themselves in post-match interviews.

It didn't harm the brand,or lead to any decrease in matchday attendances.

Sir Ferguson was also considered a great man-manager - part of his job description,even though he didn't have his UEFA coaching qualifications.

Despite this link suggesting otherwise,it is common-knowledge,apparently,that he was never punished for his conduct.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2011/aug/25/alex-ferguson-lifts-bbc-ban

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

I'm unashamedly part of the Bennett out brigade as I do not think he is the man to win us a world cup. Totally uninspired play that is utterly NRL centric in selection policy.

I'd have 1 of either Powell, Wane or McDermott and I'd organise at least 2 other fixtures this year alongside the Kangaroo test as well as 2 mid season games next year to give them a chance of building up to the RLWC. Winning the world cup should be a game-wide priority for anyone with a vested interest in English RL, to the point where the 2021 Super League season should take somewhat of a backseat.

6 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I'm unashamedly part of the Bennett out brigade as I do not think he is the man to win us a world cup. Totally uninspired play that is utterly NRL centric in selection policy.

I'd have 1 of either Powell, Wane or McDermott and I'd organise at least 2 other fixtures this year alongside the Kangaroo test as well as 2 mid season games next year to give them a chance of building up to the RLWC. Winning the world cup should be a game-wide priority for anyone with a vested interest in English RL, to the point where the 2021 Super League season should take somewhat of a backseat.

I think McDermott would be right for me.  He was smarting from Leeds getting beat in Oz and was quite vociferous afterwards in that our players are good enough if they played in that intensity week on week.

My only concern would be the timeframe.  

The GB mess has exacerbated it all though.

1 minute ago, Lowdesert said:

I think McDermott would be right for me.  He was smarting from Leeds getting beat in Oz and was quite vociferous afterwards in that our players are good enough if they played in that intensity week on week.

My only concern would be the timeframe.  

The GB mess has exacerbated it all though.

Agree 100% with all this. McDermott is best for me because in my eyes to be an international coach (in any sport) you actually don't have to be a brilliant technical coach. You only have the players for a few weeks a year so I doubt there will be much impact in that perspective. For me the 2 main attributes are as a selector and as a man motivator and McDermott has both of those.

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Agree 100% with all this. McDermott is best for me because in my eyes to be an international coach (in any sport) you actually don't have to be a brilliant technical coach. You only have the players for a few weeks a year so I doubt there will be much impact in that perspective. For me the 2 main attributes are as a selector and as a man motivator and McDermott has both of those.

It seems we have a group of coaches in waiting already in and around the squad.  Wellens, Scully, Watson.    Between them they could hold the key to continuity.

On 15/01/2020 at 04:25, Lowdesert said:

Wants someone who understands Super League.  Shouldnt that be ‘understands international rugby league’?

Plenty of criticism on the back go the GB tour.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/ian-lenagan-says-super-league-21279589

Does anybody know the real reason Shaun Wane left Wigan after winning the Grand Final?

4 hours ago, Angelic Cynic said:

Well,the manager of the global brand that is Manchester United managed to avoid being interviewed by the BBC despite the Premier League ruling that they do involve themselves in post-match interviews.

It didn't harm the brand,or lead to any decrease in matchday attendances.

Sir Ferguson was also considered a great man-manager - part of his job description,even though he didn't have his UEFA coaching qualifications.

Despite this link suggesting otherwise,it is common-knowledge,apparently,that he was never punished for his conduct.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2011/aug/25/alex-ferguson-lifts-bbc-ban

You completely miss the point and are you really comparing the gravity of Manchester Utds media pull with that of Rugby League in the U.K.?

As I quite clearly stated, it was Bennett’s truculence with the press which was disrespectful, rude and unprofessional. That’s something he has the luxury of doing without consequence in Australia but something we can I’ll afford in the U.K. The fact he either didn’t know or didn’t care fits right in with all his other ignorance about Rugby League in the U.K.

Archived