New coach for England (Merged Threads)

14 hours ago, OMEGA said:

You completely miss the point and are you really comparing the gravity of Manchester Utds media pull with that of Rugby League in the U.K.?

As I quite clearly stated, it was Bennett’s truculence with the press which was disrespectful, rude and unprofessional. That’s something he has the luxury of doing without consequence in Australia but something we can I’ll afford in the U.K. The fact he either didn’t know or didn’t care fits right in with all his other ignorance about Rugby League in the U.K.

I would have to disagree completely with use of the word truculence.I don't think being careful with his replies can be construed as being disrespectful,rude and unprofessional.

He is allowed an off-day when he is interviewed and he is not expected to say anything he does not wish to do.Being careful could be accepted as being very professional.

Results and performances on the field do bring about criticism.Some people interviewed want to protect their players - and/or themselves.

Most professionals are unhappy when they lose.

Do you have a head coach in mind who you consider to be a wonderful interviewee,who should replace him on how verbose they are when interviewed?

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Angelic Cynic said:

I would have to disagree completely with use of the word truculence.I don't think being careful with his replies can be construed as being disrespectful,rude and unprofessional.

He is allowed an off-day when he is interviewed and he is not expected to say anything he does not wish to do.Being careful could be accepted as being very professional.

Results and performances on the field do bring about criticism.Some people interviewed want to protect their players - and/or themselves.

Most professionals are unhappy when they lose.

Do you have a head coach in mind who you consider to be a wonderful interviewee,who should replace him on how verbose they are when interviewed?

Well it seems I’m not on my own in my assessment of Bennett’s inherent responsibilities as England/Great Britain Coach.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p04f9ltl

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/wayne-bennetts-astonishing-media-conference-20161110-gslv6x.html

13 hours ago, OMEGA said:

Well it seems I’m not on my own in my assessment of Bennett’s inherent responsibilities as England/Great Britain Coach.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/wayne-bennetts-astonishing-media-conference-20161110-gslv6x.html

Yes,I am aware of the criticism.

There must be nothing worse than being interviewed immediately at the end of a game which is considered important,with the background noise of an exiting crowd,possibly loud music,BBC employed staff wanting an interview in a rushed time period,and all done before the head coach has been able to communicate with his players.

Podcasts done with background noise similarly irritate me - as I enjoy listening to good,interesting,interviews.

I don't recall any magnetic interviews by Iestyn Harris when he was head coach at Wales.Perhaps you can link one or two? I didn't see attendances increasing.Nor,surprisingly as I'm sure he did great interviews,did the team performances improve.

Jon Wells does do some interesting post-game player interviews on Skt TV.The BBC do not allocate time or resources to such an interesting aspect of the sport.

I think you can relax.The RFL are dictated to by the Super League club owners and Wayne Bennett will be replaced.

I'm just soooo  excited about the post match interviews.How many can you recall done by Wakefield head coaches?

The ones I can recall related to tragic deaths and conducted,with a silent background,when both interviewer and interviewee were prepared to go ahead and pass the message out.

I guess even John Kear would admit to being taciturn after a defeat,or poor display,at some stage in his career...

**   In another sport - this guy had his former side Leicester go on to win the Premier League and is now doing a good job,with good reviews from players,and journalists at another club.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3062591/Nigel-Pearson-apologises-calling-journalist-ostrich-bizarre-Leicester-post-match-rant-following-Chelsea-defeat.html    **

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

13 hours ago, OMEGA said:

I get that many didn’t and don’t want WB as coach from the off.  I was one, but whoever gets the job has to be backed.  

Anything can come out with interviews directly after the game.  We’ve plenty of evidence of that with our own coaches.  If that’s all he’s criticised for then I wouldnt worry.  On the pitch is where it matters but I don’t think we’ve made the inroads we could have.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

Always likely. Hopefully brings in a Powell or Watson to work with the attacking side of things and the RFL arrange enough games for him to prepare. The series against Oz at the end of the year isn't enough, we need at least 3 more games on top of that!

12 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Always likely. Hopefully brings in a Powell or Watson to work with the attacking side of things and the RFL arrange enough games for him to prepare. The series against Oz at the end of the year isn't enough, we need at least 3 more games on top of that!

Bennett had to go after 0/4 and his bizarre GB selection.

And if we are serious about winning the World Cup it has to be a good thing that the coach can dedicate himself to the job instead of Bennett’s ‘busman’s holiday’ arrangement.

1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

Bennett had to go after 0/4 and his bizarre GB selection.

And if we are serious about winning the World Cup it has to be a good thing that the coach can dedicate himself to the job instead of Bennett’s ‘busman’s holiday’ arrangement.

Its clear the camp liked Bennett, but his selection policy and way with explaining it to the media and wider nation were just rubbish.

Shuan Wane - backward step- Good as a club coach working with a Wigan side most of whom he would have seen develop through the club's age group structure. International Rugby League is a competely different ball game.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

Bennett had to go after that tour and Wane is the only serious option if we want a full time coach, which is a sensible move given the two huge tournaments coming up. He also knows Super League inside out, unlike Bennett. A good choice in my opinion.

6 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

Bennett had to go after that tour and Wane is the only serious option if we want a full time coach, which is a sensible move given the two huge tournaments coming up. He also knows Super League inside out, unlike Bennett. A good choice in my opinion.

England didn’t go on tour. Doesn’t make any sense to sack the England coach due to poor performances from Great Britain 

2 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

England didn’t go on tour. Doesn’t make any sense to sack the England coach due to poor performances from Great Britain 

As many people have pointed out, it more or less was the England team though.

Some more detail here: https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/shaun-wane-set-to-be-new-england-rl-coach-1-10234098

Mmmmm .... I know that this will be popular, but I'm not at all sure this is a good move. I hope it works out but the number of international games is a key issue.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

The team needs a strong English coach who will have faith in English players (Hastings and Austin were terrible GB choices) as well as bring out the best in them.

I hold more optimism of England winning a WC under the directorship of Wane.

14 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

This wouldn't be a sacking though as he is out of contract.

And a decision to renew his contract should be made based on all available data and the Great Britain tour is one of those.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Bennett had to go and then you are looking at available candidates - Wane is a logical choice. I am not sure they will, but really hope they go for Paul Deacon as assistant. He was the assistant coach in 2014 when England actually looked like a dangerous attacking force.

20 minutes ago, Oxford said:

Mmmmm .... I know that this will be popular, but I'm not at all sure this is a good move. I hope it works out but the number of international games is a key issue.

I dont think it is either, for that reason and the timescale. 

However, Wane will be refreshed and determined if nothing else.  He sides have brought energy, but still been heavily criticised in their style of play. I like him and I like aggression but I dont want to see some of those areas of ott aggression brought into our national team.  That will be manna from heaven to Aus and NZ.

I also hope the backroom staff stays the same.

9 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Shuan Wane - backward step- Good as a club coach working with a Wigan side most of whom he would have seen develop through the club's age group structure. International Rugby League is a competely different ball game.

So, who would you choose for the job?

I'd be happy with the appointment of Wane. I think an English based coach is a must after some of selections we have seen from Bennett. It also means that the coach can work with the players much more readily. Wane is a great motivator who knows Super League. He also won't take any rubbish or excuses.

10 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

I dont think it is.  It takes a good coach to bring kids through and then continue to coach them at senior level standard with such success.  Very few have done that. 

This level is nurturing and managing egos, getting them to gel, getting players to burst their lungs for each other and execute plays.  If he could do one thing, improve our kicking, imo we can win this world cup.

Archived