New coach for England (Merged Threads)

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

If your criteria is 1. Super League Coach 2. English - then Daryl Powell is the standout candidate. The english coach that comes closest to turning water into wine in a Rugby League sense

Wigan are one of the top three clubs in the Country with the age group pathway to match, so its actualy easier to be a  successful coach when your resources are greater than the majority of your competitors.. Internationally the roles are reversed with the playing and junior strength in Australia and New Zealand with the pacific nations coming up fast on the rails.By contrast, as is commented on at length on TRL threads, paying numbers and the quality of Super League is down

Still It will be interesting when the behind the scenes team talk from Shaun Wane is broadcast after the watershed on sky ?

What’s Daryl Powell ever won?

For that matter, which ‘must win’ games has Powell ever won?

Using what evidence do you conclude that Wane can’t coach at international level?

5 hours ago, Scubby said:

Bennett had to go and then you are looking at available candidates - Wane is a logical choice. I am not sure they will, but really hope they go for Paul Deacon as assistant. He was the assistant coach in 2014 when England actually looked like a dangerous attacking force.

One would imagine that Wane would have a say in his assistant. Indeed he would not accept the job I suggest if he was not happy with is assistant.

I'm not sure there is anyone  else, English, who is available.

5 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Happy with this appointment, certainly need a coach in the role full time who knows the super league well. Wane isn't the most exciting coach in the world, plays a safe, unspectacular game plan but he gets results so couldn't care less how exciting England will be to watch. Winning the World Cup is the priority above anything else and if we do that playing safe rugby then I'm all for it. 

Like yours, a number is commentators are missing the point.  A team can only be expansive if its pack can compete with its opponents.  Wigan have had good team, winning teams, but it's pack in my opinion has to work hard to stand it's own.   If critics (fans and opponents) suggest that Wigan do not play expansively,  well I suggest it's because it's pack struggles to contain their opponents.

The big issue for future England games is for its players to not give away easy fouls or errors.  If we do then we will lose easily no matter who the coach.

Kudos to the journalist,Gary Carter,who once again gets an exclusive,which is dismissed,by many,because he is employed by The Sun newspaper,but this is not the first time he has been ahead of the game.

Well done,Gary Carter. 

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

An excellent appointment, hope he gets some one decent in as an assistant to fine tune the attacking game.

Given Wanes background at Wigan, working up from the U21's and having seemingly made a career out of developing youth, I hope that skill can be brought to this role.

8 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

England didn’t go on tour. Doesn’t make any sense to sack the England coach due to poor performances from Great Britain 

Except that, in this case, it completely does.

England were a feared team when Sam Burgess was in his prime. Wayne B got the benefit of his input but he didn't do the research on the UK players as he should. Some of his player choices during the last tour were muddled to say the least. I was a fan of WB up to the last WC but think he got found out a bit on the last tour. 

England now look anything but fear inspiring. No one feared England (aka GB) in the recent tour. Can Shaun W get that back? I think it's time for a new coach who knows the UK based players better to give it his best shot. England don't need a poor WC in front of their home fans. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

4 hours ago, OMEGA said:

What’s Daryl Powell ever won?

For that matter, which ‘must win’ games has Powell ever won?

Using what evidence do you conclude that Wane can’t coach at international level?

Daryl Powell makes a club with limited resources into a contender every season. if you will note when they had the player agent on Super League Backchat it was Daryl Powell who was quited as the 20% man because he adds 20% in value to players he coaches. No other super league coach was anywhere near.

Internationally you need a Great Coach to to gameplan, scheme and mask the deficiencies in the England side and to get the team playing better than the sum of its parts. Daryl Powell does that at club level.

As for Shaun Wane I will turn your question around ,what evidence do you have that he can coach at International Level ?

We will have to revisit this thread at the end of November.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

1 hour ago, RayCee said:

England were a feared team when Sam Burgess was in his prime. Wayne B got the benefit of his input but he didn't do the research on the UK players as he should. Some of his player choices during the last tour were muddled to say the least. I was a fan of WB up to the last WC but think he got found out a bit on the last tour. 

England now look anything but fear inspiring. No one feared England (aka GB) in the recent tour. Can Shaun W get that back? I think it's time for a new coach who knows the UK based players better to give it his best shot. England don't need a poor WC in front of their home fans. 

I thought the Lions looked pedestrian and lacking in energy. Now is the time to ease out the older players like Graham, Hill, Hall, and McGillvary.

1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

I thought the Lions looked pedestrian and lacking in energy. Now is the time to ease out the older players like Graham, Hill, Hall, and McGillvary.

I definitely agree with this. At least two of those should never have been picked on the last tour.

Wane has his limitations but one thing is for sure he will get them fired up before a game (hopefully not too much).

To me Bennett has not been fully commited to the role and has just been taking money for a while. I think Wane will show a bit more fire and passion

Finally I am a traditionalist. Coaches of national teams should be from that nation as should the players.

Good luck to him   

Bennett lacked knowledge of non NRL players from the start of his appointment as England coach. It didn't improve and lead to a disastrous spell as GB coach, also with poor team selection. His attitude bordered on arrogance.  

Wane would have been my choice. 

40 minutes ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Daryl Powell makes a club with limited resources into a contender every season. if you will note when they had the player agent on Super League Backchat it was Daryl Powell who was quited as the 20% man because he adds 20% in value to players he coaches. No other super league coach was anywhere near.

Internationally you need a Great Coach to to gameplan, scheme and mask the deficiencies in the England side and to get the team playing better than the sum of its parts. Daryl Powell does that at club level.

As for Shaun Wane I will turn your question around ,what evidence do you have that he can coach at International Level ?

There is no evidence that either of them can coach at international level.

Many of those youngsters came through the Wigan system when Wane was in charge of youth development, so he takes the credit for that, not Wigan's "greater resources".

I find it very hard to buy into the hype about Powell as he has actually never won anything. As far as SL success goes, he is on a par with Ian Watson, so why is he any better than either him or Wane?

Well one things for sure we wont get any fancy football from Shaun Wane's teams. His teams always give 100% and we know his tactics that will be a massive mobile pack playing down the middle trying to get the opposition to give away penalties and if we win the world cup with them tactics the plan will have worked

• John Drake changed the title to New coach for England (Merged Threads)

I hope we get an Aussie-based assistant. Having the head coach based over there was a bad idea, but with so many England players now playing over there, it would make sense to have someone on the ground to keep an eye on performances, see how they’re doing and to generally touch base with them regularly etc

11 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Happy with this appointment, certainly need a coach in the role full time who knows the super league well. Wane isn't the most exciting coach in the world, plays a safe, unspectacular game plan but he gets results so couldn't care less how exciting England will be to watch. Winning the World Cup is the priority above anything else and if we do that playing safe rugby then I'm all for it. 

Where do you get the information that it is a full time job? Or do you mean the coach being full time in England,as opposed to Bennett being in Australia?

If it is to be full time that may explain why no current club coach has been given the role?

It may also mean the owners of Super League clubs instructed the RFL that current club head coaches would not be permitted to be a part-time England head coach.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

1 hour ago, Angelic Cynic said:

Where do you get the information that it is a full time job? Or do you mean the coach being full time in England,as opposed to Bennett being in Australia?

If it is to be full time that may explain why no current club coach has been given the role?

It may also mean the owners of Super League clubs instructed the RFL that current club head coaches would not be permitted to be a part-time England head coach.

Sorry, I phrased that a bit wrong, I meant I certainly think the role needs to be full time. Of course him not having any other jobs and being in England, I don't see why it can't be full time. 

2 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

So, in short, NONE!

Im not sure how being one agents favourite coach (Mr 20%) will help England win a series against Australia or World Cup

Powell hasn’t won a must win game, whether it be a Grand Final with Leeds or Castleford or, despite having the best team, a Championship Final with Featherstone!

What a ridiculous notion, like asking me to prove God doesn’t exist, however . . .

Wayne has been a success at every level he’s worked in!

He’s been the driver of or integral to success at Academy Level both in terms of player production and League/Cup doubles. Equally he was a success alongside McGuire as Assistant and then as Head Coach at Wigan!

So when choosing a candidate to step up his resumé stacks up better than most!

See you in November!

Not sure how I feel about this, but the 'RLWC2021 - Behind the scenes' video will certainly be a better watch.

####ing knock people oot

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

58 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Wane confirmed as full-time coach on a two-year contract 

https://www.superleague.co.uk/article/1245/wane-to-lead-england

Good news all round; the choice of coach and the fact it's full time.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

Archived