New coach for England (Merged Threads)

3 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Will be interesting to see if Wane sticks with Austin and Hastings.

Personally I'm conflicted. They are useful players and I wouldn't dismiss them simply for not being born Englishmen. On the other hand, I'd prefer the likes of Truman and Connor blooded with a view to the Ashes and World Cup. 

nah england shouldnt rely upon them it ruins team harmony.  if it were someone with the skills of andrew johns ok get a ring in.

fans and their fellow players know they are aussies.  its a joke.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Personally I'm conflicted. They are useful players and I wouldn't dismiss them simply for not being born Englishmen. On the other hand, I'd prefer the likes of Truman and Connor blooded with a view to the Ashes and World Cup. 

Sam Tomkins back in the team hopefully - and as he proved in the world 9s hes still our most exciting player who can do what most cant.

1 minute ago, Mr Frisky said:

Sam Tomkins back in the team hopefully - and as he proved in the world 9s hes still our most exciting player who can do what most cant.

That was at nines Frisky, but being the best at that particular 'plastic form' of RL in the company of the team squad Bennett employed in that competition is no great accolade for test match RL.

2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

That was at nines Frisky, but being the best at that particular 'plastic form' of RL in the company of the team squad Bennett employed in that competition is no great accolade for test match RL.

He has done it in an England shirt as well and was very good last season in a poor Cats team.

Still our best FB or as he proved against NZ very good in the halfs. Not many of our options for those positions can break a line like him.

Each to their own but you would think SW would be looking to get a core set of players around him he trusts and rates.

6 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

There aren't enough youngster's comming through the systems for all the club's to empoly as many as Wigan do, but that is for a another topic.

But there is nothing stopping other clubs from doing the same if they invest the time,effort & money.

Back to Wane,he inherited a great team from McGuire and I thought he improved it playing some great rugby in his first 2 seasons,when the squad lost a lot of its quality he brought through a number of academy players to replace them and had to change the way his teams played to compensate for that loss of quality and still stayed successful.

1 minute ago, Davo5 said:

But there is nothing stopping other clubs from doing the same if they invest the time,effort & money.

Back to Wane,he inherited a great team from McGuire and I thought he improved it playing some great rugby in his first 2 seasons,when the squad lost a lot of its quality he brought through a number of academy players to replace them and had to change the way his teams played to compensate for that loss of quality and still stayed successful.

Not disagreeing re what Mr Wane has acheived with his youth policies, but that was not my statement Dav, I was intimating that there are not enough juniors comming through the system for all the clubs to emulate what Wigan do, surely just a simple observation in your part of the RL world which is no different to the rest of RL land in the numbers falling away would surly substantiate my comments.

25 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

There aren't enough youngster's comming through the systems for all the club's to empoly as many as Wigan do, but that is for a another topic.

Sorry, but that doesn't make any sense.

All the youngsters are there to be scouted and signed. Wigan have no monopoly on that, they are just more active than most.

4 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Not disagreeing re what Mr Wane has acheived with his youth policies, but that was not my statement Dav, I was intimating that there are not enough juniors comming through the system for all the clubs to emulate what Wigan do, surely just a simple observation in your part of the RL world which is no different to the rest of RL land in the numbers falling away would surly substantiate my comments.

Nope.

Many of Wigan's current youngsters are not from the Wigan area, so what is to stop other clubs taking the young players from our area like we do with theirs?

Smithies, for example, is from Yorkshire, so how come Wigan got him but others didn't?

33 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I would wager Shaun O'Loughlin throughout his carrier would be more responsible for inflicting head injuries than all the present Wire team, that is not an anti Wigan comment I have been a big fan of O'Loughlin, it is an observation anyone who watches the game can not possibly miss.

Not sure what relevance O'Loughlin has in a discussion about coaches, but carry on.

5 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

Nope.

Many of Wigan's current youngsters are not from the Wigan area, so what is to stop other clubs taking the young players from our area like we do with theirs?

Smithies, for example, is from Yorkshire, so how come Wigan got him but others didn't?

It takes an investment in time,effort,resources to identify and develop these young players,something only a small number of Superleague clubs are willing to do.

Like Wane or not,he has been a very successful club coach,who overcame the loss of several star players to maintain that success and in the process blooded & developed a large number of young homegrown players and improved other established players many thought not up to wining premierships.

15 minutes ago, dkw said:

Thats disappointing, I look forward to one out rugby, messing around in every tackle tactics. Unless you can teach an old dog new tricks.

Don't forget how much he'll have learned while he's been away especially about defeating the Kangaroos.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

4 hours ago, tuutaisrambo said:

So looks like Sinfield stepped down cos he wanted to keep Bennett on?

He can concentrate on relegating Leeds Rhinos now?

Or was it that Sinfield was ditched because like Bennett he was useless at his job ?

Either way, best thing all round that he's gone

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

4 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Well seeing as though Wane has been announced as replacing Bennett but the announcement on Sinfield is simply that he is stepping down, I think its pretty clear that his role is no longer required now we have a UK based full time coach.

That is the natural conclusion, but it seems odd the quote from Rimmer that they tried to convince him to stay:

RFL chief executive, Ralph Rimmer, added: “We’re obviously very sad about Kevin’s decision to step down from his role at the RFL and the England Performance Unit.

“We did try to convince him to stay but he has made his decision, and every one of us at the RFL wish him the best in what we’re sure will be a hugely successful future.”

4 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Has as been suggested already, get Paul Deacon back as an assistant, our national team as not played better rugby than when he was assistant to Steve Mac, we played a flat game previously under SM until his appointment and have continued to do so ever since, so I assume that Deacon must be the one responsible for the improvement. 

It’s certainly a good shout.  How long has he been out if the game?

18 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

It’s certainly a good shout.  How long has he been out if the game?

He's been coaching in Kick & clap so a couple of minutes for us and a few centuries as experienced by Wane. I have that on good authority from Albert Einstein and is in his Book the Theory of Sporting Relativity in which he also discovered where talent disappears into black holes of boredom.

3 minutes ago, Nate90 said:

Who do you think his assistants will be?

I'm still hoping Watson and Powell contnue but he may wish to make his own mark.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

4 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

What is going to be interesting will be how Williams goes.  A lot will hinge on form and fitness when selections come round. 

But what is importance is confidence. The team were progressing with that, and then came the 3rd Test in 2018. NZ came up to the plate then to be fair but as all too often we were away at the races.

So we should not worry too much about the coaching, selection is important but the players must be focussed and resist errors. Let's not be afraid of either winning or losing... just be the best we can. 

3 hours ago, dkw said:

Thats disappointing, I look forward to one out rugby, messing around in every tackle tactics. Unless you can teach an old dog new tricks.

Are you suggesting Wane has been modelling his coaching style on Saints?

6 hours ago, Angelic Cynic said:

I wonder if the owners of Super League clubs instructed the RFL that having a head coach currently in employment would not be permitted to also do a part time national head coach job?

I get the impression that the parameters of the job changes with each appointment.

It also appears that when it comes to the England head coach being afforded a bit of loyalty and longevity the RFL and Kevin Sinfield have different opinions - https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/steve-mcnamara-should-england-rugby-7282165

I wonder how long the press and media support the man now in charge?

Given that the team will play hardly any games, the press will have very little opportunities to criticise.

The other point to remember is that the RL press is nothing if not hagiographic.... until such time as they jump on the next band wagon. 

2 hours ago, Jim Prendle said:

And so the bias continues.

You really just can't help yourself can you?

How is it bias, its his style of play when he was at Wigan. he once played for my club and I actually like him as a person to listen to when talking about the game, I just dont like the way he has his teams play the game. so how exactly am i biased against him? 

46 minutes ago, Oxford said:

He's been coaching in Kick & clap so a couple of minutes for us and a few centuries as experienced by Wane. I have that on good authority from Albert Einstein and is in his Book the Theory of Sporting Relativity in which he also discovered where talent disappears into black holes of boredom.

I'm still hoping Watson and Powell contnue but he may wish to make his own mark.

Yes, that would be my worry, but I think he would add something in attack.  I can never work out why our kicking game goes to pieces in internationals.  Are the defences that good?

Powell?

Archived