Newcastle thunder to play at St James park

Having a Newcastle team at the event is the best thing that can be done to entice locals to the event, by giving them a local team to get behind. If it encourage even a few to return to Kingston Park, then brilliant.

This helps combine the original idea of the event to grow the game with the later idea of the event of a weekend celebration of Super League.

The thing about the Geordies is that whilst of course it's a football hotbed and that will always be the sport there they are intensely loyal to the City and region.  This is an excellent idea.  It may just be possible if magic weekend stays in the Toon for a few years and with some work on the ground to get league properly off the ground in Newcastle.  Certainly more chance than in say Liverpool or Sheffield in my view

18 hours ago, chemicmike said:

The thing about the Geordies is that whilst of course it's a football hotbed and that will always be the sport there they are intensely loyal to the City and region.  This is an excellent idea.  It may just be possible if magic weekend stays in the Toon for a few years and with some work on the ground to get league properly off the ground in Newcastle.  Certainly more chance than in say Liverpool or Sheffield in my view

I think the Eagles might have a renaissance once the ground is ready but yeah Liverpool is a lost cause. It would be great if it can take off in Newcastle too. 

41 minutes ago, Rob Nash said:

Great match to pick too. 2 very exciting teams. Big wide pitch may suit the Dons best though? 

I agree , Newcastle could be giving Donny a slight edge when it should have been their home advantage . Donny already play on a full size football pitch in an enclosed all seated stadium .

On 15/01/2020 at 13:40, Reggie9 said:

Thunder set to open magic weekend on the Saturday when they play Doncaster at St James Park. 

Great news for the club and the sport in the region! 

I think there is mileage in keeping Magic at Newcastle for 2 or 3 years yet.  This area, including Boro and across to  Darlo imo is ripe for development.  They really should take full advantage of what the WC brings too.

3 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

I think there is mileage in keeping Magic at Newcastle for 2 or 3 years yet.  This area, including Boro and across to  Darlo imo is ripe for development.  They really should take full advantage of what the WC brings too.

Certainly Darlington looks like it would be a good option for growth. Its a big town with low level football and union teams and a very under used stadium which I imagine the owners would want to get use out of more. 

1 minute ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Certainly Darlington looks like it would be a good option for growth. Its a big town with low level football and union teams and a very under used stadium which I imagine the owners would want to get use out of more. 

Yes, Stockton also.  All on free running good road infrastructure.  

A push by development in all the Schools around, free tickets to the games etc just has to happen.  We have to take advantage.

1 hour ago, Anonymouse said:

I agree , Newcastle could be giving Donny a slight edge when it should have been their home advantage . Donny already play on a full size football pitch in an enclosed all seated stadium .

Kingston Park is a big wide pitch and I believe that it is the same width as St. James' so I don't think they're giving up any advantage on that front, if there is an advantage being given up it's the change from the artificial to real grass.

7 minutes ago, NERugbyDad said:

Kingston Park is a big wide pitch and I believe that it is the same width as St. James' so I don't think they're giving up any advantage on that front, if there is an advantage being given up it's the change from the artificial to real grass.

I should have made that clearer as I also meant the pitches themselves . Donny is an all seater and very enclosed too which can feel overbearing if you are not used to it .

1 hour ago, Lowdesert said:

Yes, Stockton also.  All on free running good road infrastructure.  

A push by development in all the Schools around, free tickets to the games etc just has to happen.  We have to take advantage.

The Thunder have got it in hand with a new Community Development Officer for the Tees Valley on board back in November.

17 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

In fairness, this is a little bit of a myth. 

The original idea behind Magic Weekend was to fill hotel beds in South Wales. It wasn't even an RFL idea. 

Wikipedia has it down as a joint venture to increase awareness of the game as a whole, as well as the Cardiff tourist board trying to get more punters in.

Taken from Wiki:

The first Millennium Magic round was confirmed in September 2006 for the weekend of 5–6 May 2007.[6][7] Richard Lewis, chairman of the RFL, cited both expansion and monetary reasons for the move to Wales, but the plan also allowed the Super League to be reduced by one round (critics had stated that the players were put under too much strain over the season). The event was funded and promoted by the Welsh Tourist Board, who were looking to build on the Challenge Cup finals which had taken place in Cardiff between 2003 and 2005 due to the rebuilding of Wembley Stadium. After the success of the first Millennium Magic in 2007, it became an annual fixture in the Super League calendar. The event was moved to Murrayfield Stadium in Edinburgh in 2009 following a bid from VisitScotland, and was renamed Murrayfield Magic, and later just the Magic Weekend.

1 hour ago, Anonymouse said:

I should have made that clearer as I also meant the pitches themselves . Donny is an all seater and very enclosed too which can feel overbearing if you are not used to it .

Interesting to see who the SL clubs' fans cheer for. I'd assume the 'home' side. 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

54 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Interesting to see who the SL clubs' fans cheer for. I'd assume the 'home' side. 

No! The underdog surely! That said I expect us to get a result up there. No duel reg and a stronger squad. Our backs will LOVE that pitch. Expect Jack Logan to have a field day

There's some big game players that'll rise to the occasion. Logan, Chase, Boas, Horne, Peltier to name a few

16 minutes ago, Rob Nash said:

No! The underdog surely! That said I expect us to get a result up there. No duel reg and a stronger squad. Our backs will LOVE that pitch. Expect Jack Logan to have a field day

There's some big game players that'll rise to the occasion. Logan, Chase, Boas, Horne, Peltier to name a few

Rob (I appreciate this thread isn’t about Donny, but even so), if Doncaster went up to the championship what sort of crowds do you think they’d get, and the same for SL? Is there much awareness of them and RL in the town or is it mainly about Rovers? I tend to see you as a potential big club but I guess that’s based on the size of the town and your ground more than anything. 

Archived