Can Rugby cause MND?

If this topic has been raised elsewhere apologies. But in light of Rob Burrow's sad situation it has been mentioned that head trauma from contact sports may cause MND. 

Is there anything the sport can do to research this? Should the governing bodies be doing more? 

27 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

If this topic has been raised elsewhere apologies. But in light of Rob Burrow's sad situation it has been mentioned that head trauma from contact sports may cause MND. 

Is there anything the sport can do to research this? Should the governing bodies be doing more? 

I suppose so but the majority of the research discounts lifestyle (which I assume covers playing sport) as a cause.  Its just one of them.  Otherwise it would be much more common in boxers and such like.

It is an interesting case, as there are a few ex RL and RU players that have MND, but there are a lot of people in general society whose bodies don't go through anywhere near the same kind of punishment that also get MND.

It is an awful disease, that needs a lot more research to be done on it as a whole, rather than just trying to find links with RL IMO.

15 minutes ago, The Vet said:

does anyone know factually if MND is more common in men than women? Of all the people both famous & people who Iv heard locally to me I can’t recall any females being affected

A quick Google answers this question and others above

Men roughly 50% more likely to suffer from MND than women

Head trauma - no clear association with MND

Vigorous physical activity not necessarily CONTACT sport (work/sport-related) - increases the risk of MND but this may be to people pre-disposed to MND rather than causing it. And physical activity decreases the risk of a number of other diseases.

But lots of information/research out on the internet

Getting knocks to the head is bad for the brain. In the US they have banned kids under 10? from heading the ball and the Scottish FA are going to do the same.

How many ex footballers from the 50s, 60s and 70s have dementia. Of course atm there’s no concrete evidence between   Head knocks and brain injuries such as dementia and MND 

Maybe the link is the other way around, people likely to, or already have it but show no symptoms as it is a dormant disease, develop MND are more likely to enjoy contact sports. The old genes can be funny buggers.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

On 16/01/2020 at 12:45, Wakefield Ram said:

A quick Google answers this question and others above

Men roughly 50% more likely to suffer from MND than women

Head trauma - no clear association with MND

Vigorous physical activity not necessarily CONTACT sport (work/sport-related) - increases the risk of MND but this may be to people pre-disposed to MND rather than causing it. And physical activity decreases the risk of a number of other diseases.

But lots of information/research out on the internet

Thanks for that, Big Lad. Hope you're well.

"Australia is a spoiled nation. They can expect my revenge. I'm not crazy when I say this, they are the crazy ones who give you hot sausages before the match when it's 40 degrees celsius outside."

--------------------------

"Shifty Matty Petersen trying to get in there with a little five-fingered discount." Franklin Field, Philadelphia, 30/11/2004

--------------------------

FourthThird Second Best Statement Ever: Student Ram 02/06/2004 (Without a trace of irony): "... because, when you think about it, really... Wakefield is kind of the centre of the universe. You know, both ways, you've got..."

Followed by a half a minute justification of this point of view.

On 16/01/2020 at 04:53, The Daddy said:

Why shouldn't it be debated? 

Because I don’t know of any medical scientists on this forum and as such, no one here is suitable to give us a qualified opinion.
As such, any theorising by us on here is probably a little insensitive at this moment.

On 16/01/2020 at 19:27, Mr Plow said:

Getting knocks to the head is bad for the brain. In the US they have banned kids under 10? from heading the ball and the Scottish FA are going to do the same.

How many ex footballers from the 50s, 60s and 70s have dementia. Of course atm there’s no concrete evidence between   Head knocks and brain injuries such as dementia and MND 

The report on the increased rates of dementia amongst professional footballers did not identify any difference between goalkeepers (who very rarely head a ball) and outfield players.

Archived