So Canadians........

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

.... With no team in the World Cup who are you all going to root for? 

The women duh.

Also Jamaica and England

What I want to know, without a team in the final who are the Australians going to root for?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

16 minutes ago, Number 16 said:

So without any actual Greeks in the Greece team who are the Greeks going to support? 

And the Lebanese... 

And the Italians... 

And the Scots... 

?

I'll be supporting the Pacific island nations, if that helps answer your question.

26 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

What I want to know, without a team in the final who are the Australians going to root for?

Maybe one of the other teams with the most born Aussies populating it, the Shakledraggers will not be short of teams to choose from Dunbar, even plenty of time for England to fast track more than just Hastings and Austin, if you think about it there is longer till the WC commences than both those mentioned came to this country before they made their GB debuts.

1 hour ago, Number 16 said:

So without any actual Greeks in the Greece team who are the Greeks going to support? 

There were actual Greeks in the team for their games in the qualifiers - 9 of the 22-man squad with no Aussie connection, half a dozen of them playing for clubs in Greece. Guess we'll see how it pans out for the actual WC next year.

58 minutes ago, Keith989 said:

I'll be supporting the Pacific island nations, if that helps answer your question.

Massive reliance on the grandparents rule and players born abroad doesn't seem to have done the Irish soccer team any harm in world cups over the years.

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Maybe one of the other teams with the most born Aussies populating it, the Shakledraggers will not be short of teams to choose from Dunbar, even plenty of time for England to fast track more than just Hastings and Austin, if you think about it there is longer till the WC commences than both those mentioned came to this country before they made their GB debuts.

We’re not far off a World Cup where > 50% of players are born in Australia. 

2 hours ago, JonM said:

Massive reliance on the grandparents rule and players born abroad doesn't seem to have done the Irish soccer team any harm in world cups over the years.

Ok? Not sure where this is coming from? Also Ireland has only qualified for 3 soccer world cups, the last being in 2002...

6 hours ago, Number 16 said:

And the Lebanese... 

And the Italians... 

And the Scots... 

?

Are you saying we need to tighten it up a bit? A bit of cleansing? Of the ethnic kind?

new rise.jpg

2 minutes ago, Pulga said:

Are you saying we need to tighten it up a bit? A bit of cleansing? Of the ethnic kind?

Well Lebanese women are exotic and French women sexual.....and Scottish women are ..err....you can keep most of the the Scottish women (except the good looking ones) and we will take the other two!

56 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Well Lebanese women are exotic and French women sexual.....and Scottish women are ..err....you can keep most of the the Scottish women (except the good looking ones) and we will take the other two!

Hmmm my parents are Lebanese and i avoid lebanese girls like.the plague 

Now Croatian Australian or.eastern European girls.  Forget about it lol.

6 hours ago, JonM said:

Oh here we go again, was waiting for someone to trot that one out.

Packie Bonner (Celtic), Denis Irwin (Manchester United), Steve Staunton (Liverpool), Paul McGrath (Aston Villa), Kevin Moran (Blackburn Rovers), Roy Keane (Manchester United), Niall Quinn (Manchester City). That’s seven of the XI 100% Irish. The other four: Ray Houghton (Irish father from Donegal), Andy Townsend (Irish maternal grandmother), Mick McCarthy (Irish father from Waterford), Chris Hughton (Irish mother from Limerick).

Charlton could have made it an all Irish starting XI but due to injury/personal choice he left out Ronnie Whelan (Liverpool captain), Frank Stapleton (Manchester United), David O’Leary (Arsenal), Liam Brady (West Ham).

If the Ireland RL team had anything remotely close to that, they would be widely supported throughout the island. Having no Irish players is the prime reason they are not.

Regards my own support, 100% behind England (was gutted when Shaun Johnson crossed over at the end in 2013). He was mesmeric, so I could at least appreciate his class. Dislike the Aussies attritional way of playing the game. They grind down the opposition much like Jose Mourinho and his anti-football used to do in the Premier League, so England going back to their own identity and playing a British open attacking game and winning against the Aussies would be a huge win for the sport.

11 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

.... With no team in the World Cup who are you all going to root for? 

The Canadian women first and foremost, and then the men's team from the country that is the most open-minded and accepting and positive toward Canada having teams in the RFL / Super League structure.  And it looks like there will be a masters rugby league festival held in the UK at same time with representative teams from a number of the nations participating in the RLWC, and I hope to be on the Canadian team coming over.  Saving money now to be able to afford the time off work.

7 hours ago, DC77 said:

If the Ireland RL team had anything remotely close to that, they would be widely supported throughout the island. Having no Irish players is the prime reason they are not.

Fair points. 

Surely, it's up to RLI to decide what's best for the long-term future for rugby league in Ireland. Is it to pick a competitive team made up of Australians & Englishmen? Or is it to pick a team of people who actually play RL in Ireland, but who'll get battered in the WC. The latter does at least encourage people to start playing, knowing there's a chance to represent the country, but might mean that you don't actually qualify for world cups.

9 hours ago, aj1908 said:

Hmmm my parents are Lebanese and i avoid lebanese girls like.the plague 

Now Croatian Australian or.eastern European girls.  Forget about it lol.

Sounds like a deep seated Mother issue...you getting help?

Archived