So Canadians........

1 hour ago, aj1908 said:

Tell.a.canadian their accent sounds American and just wait for the response 

?

Whenever someone says that, and they do, I always compliment them on their accent, intentionally getting the location wrong while smiling innocently.  Telling a Yorkshireman that he has a wonderful Lancashire accent is an environmentally friendly alternative fuel to heat the entire north of England in winter.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 18/01/2020 at 13:36, TIWIT said:

NOBODY IN CANADA SAYS ABOOT!!!

They did when I was there.

I was also on a ferry in Vancouver and I overheard someone asking his friend about my Aussie accent. His friend said I must be from the eastern part of Canada.

5 hours ago, JDINTHEHIZZOUSE said:

And it's aboot time someone set the record straight!

That's aboot right, eh?

"Australia is a spoiled nation. They can expect my revenge. I'm not crazy when I say this, they are the crazy ones who give you hot sausages before the match when it's 40 degrees celsius outside."

--------------------------

"Shifty Matty Petersen trying to get in there with a little five-fingered discount." Franklin Field, Philadelphia, 30/11/2004

FourthThird Second Best Statement Ever: Student Ram 02/06/2004 (Without a trace of irony): "... because, when you think about it, really... Wakefield is kind of the centre of the universe. You know, both ways, you've got..."

Followed by a half a minute justification of this point of view.

4 hours ago, nmew said:

Whenever someone says that, and they do, I always compliment them on their accent, intentionally getting the location wrong while smiling innocently.  Telling a Yorkshireman that he has a wonderful Lancashire accent is an environmentally friendly alternative fuel to heat the entire north of England in winter.

By Christ, I've missed this forum with posts like that. ?

I used to have a security guard from Huddersfield - he actually booted my car when I said (due to his accent) I'd thought he was from over th'hills.

"Australia is a spoiled nation. They can expect my revenge. I'm not crazy when I say this, they are the crazy ones who give you hot sausages before the match when it's 40 degrees celsius outside."

"Shifty Matty Petersen trying to get in there with a little five-fingered discount." Franklin Field, Philadelphia, 30/11/2004

FourthThird Second Best Statement Ever: Student Ram 02/06/2004 (Without a trace of irony): "... because, when you think about it, really... Wakefield is kind of the centre of the universe. You know, both ways, you've got..."

4 hours ago, nmew said:

Do you mean when he sets fire to you after he's rearranged your teeth?

On 17/01/2020 at 11:49, Cas Vegas said:

Try being an Irish-Catholic in East Leeds, mate.

Seriously. Every. Single. Woman.

One of my cousins spots a seriously hot looking woman - dressed like a stripper. He says "whaddya think?", I reply "If you don't I will", he replies back "Right. I'm in first". He walks towards her, she gives a massive grin (& I'm thinking "danggit, should've said no, mate, you're out of your weight division here by a couple of classes") - she throws her arms around him & shouts "Uncle STEEEEEVE!!!!!".

Yes. She'd been away for a few years. His niece. True story.

On 17/01/2020 at 00:08, Kayakman said:

Well Lebanese women are exotic and French women sexual.....and Scottish women are ..err....you can keep most of the the Scottish women (except the good looking ones) and we will take the other two!

Aah, I see you've got a thing going for Mary Nesbitt and Ella Cotter K,man???

27 minutes ago, Cas Vegas said:

One of my cousins spots a seriously hot looking woman - dressed like a stripper. He says "whaddya think?", I reply "If you don't I will", he replies back "Right. I'm in first". He walks towards her, she gives a massive grin (& I'm thinking "danggit, should've said no, mate, you're out of your weight division here by a couple of classes") - she throws her arms around him & shouts "Uncle STEEEEEVE!!!!!".

Yes. She'd been away for a few years. His niece. True story.

She still would've been related to you anyway so.you both miss out lol

12 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

She still would've been repeated to you anyway do.you both miss out lol

Meeeeeehhhh..... not really.... ?

Ended up with the sexiest woman I've ever met. Imagine my surprise when I found out she's related to my cousin Steeeeeeve (take a breath: my grandad's little brother married her dad's older sister). I'd actually been to school with her as well - and our Irish ancestry is from the same fuc/<in' village in Mayo.

Seriously. Cannot make it up.

Actually one of the national sportscasters let slip an 'aboot' last night and her co-host teased her about it all the rest of the night. And he's always struggling to keep his Nova Scotian accent under control.

1 hour ago, TIWIT said:

Actually one of the national sportscasters let slip an 'aboot' last night and her co-host teased her about it all the rest of the night. And he's always struggling to keep his Nova Scotian accent under control.

Here are some Canadian accents for you:

And the good old East Coast accent:

4 hours ago, Clogiron said:

Do you mean when he sets fire to you after he's rearranged your teeth?

I learned that skill when I legitimately made a mistake while on holiday in the UK in about '91.  Someone asked me how we were enjoying our trip, and I said we really loved being in England.  Unfortunately, we were in Cardiff at the time.

1 hour ago, CanadianRugger said:

Here are some Canadian accents for you:

And the good old East Coast accent:

Tossing the stereotypes at us eh? Got any Bob and Doug McKenzie? Might as well go whole-hog and show the Brits what Canadians outside of the big cities are really like

• 3 weeks later...

I will cheer Jamaica on along with Ireland (Liam Kay will be playing) and I hope that Tonga take the  spoils at the end of the tournament. their games last world cup were the first internationals I've ever seen and their magical run just sticks with me. A new name to lift the trophy would be good for the game. I also know that England winning it at home would be great for the sport in the UK and for all UK leagues but Tonga is where the hearts at, my head shows that its a necessity for the UK to win for our teams to prosper.

On 18/01/2020 at 02:36, TIWIT said:

NOBODY IN CANADA SAYS ABOOT!!!

Hey Tiwit, what would you call this?

10360214-hero?wid=720&hei=720&fit=constr

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 16/01/2020 at 21:36, Keith989 said:

Ok? Not sure where this is coming from? Also Ireland has only qualified for 3 soccer world cups, the last being in 2002...

Yep - remember Irelands best ever soccer result the 1994 win over Italy- out of the 13 players who played that day only 4 were Irish- the rest were British (2 Scott's and the rest English) + an English manager.

The RL team can probably beat that well known stat.

18 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Hey Tiwit, what would you call this?

10360214-hero?wid=720&hei=720&fit=constr

Its a boot, obviously. We wear them all time when we go to Tim Horton's for a double-double for a toonie.

But if you were to say "aboot" there you'd get some strange looks and people asking where you're from.

Archived