So Canadians........

On 19/01/2020 at 04:39, nmew said:

I learned that skill when I legitimately made a mistake while on holiday in the UK in about '91.  Someone asked me how we were enjoying our trip, and I said we really loved being in England.  Unfortunately, we were in Cardiff at the time.

I was on a coach from London to Cardiff and as we got closer the English guy behind me asked his friend “What’s that language on the signs?”

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Copa said:

I was on a coach from London to Cardiff and as we got closer the English guy behind me asked his friend “What’s that language on the signs?”

My mates wife thought the writing on the road was just the English word written backwards for anyone reversing..... 

Here's a  common Wenglish (English mangled by Welsh folk) phrase.

A pint for the first person to translate it. 

m r * * m r 

12 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

Yep - remember Irelands best ever soccer result the 1994 win over Italy- out of the 13 players who played that day only 4 were Irish- the rest were British (2 Scott's and the rest English) + an English manager.

The RL team can probably beat that well known stat.

I know what you're saying but it's a bit more complicated than that. To include the likes of Paul McGrath and Ray Houghton as British is comical really despite them being born there. I'm sure there are similar situations in the RL team where lads feel more Irish than English. 

6 hours ago, Keith989 said:

I know what you're saying but it's a bit more complicated than that. To include the likes of Paul McGrath and Ray Houghton as British is comical really despite them being born there. I'm sure there are similar situations in the RL team where lads feel more Irish than English. 

Just stating facts mate - only 4 were born in Ireland.

Out of intrest if being born in a country doesn't make you a citizen what does? What is the cut off age?

Is Widdop Australian as he spent a lot of his life in Oz?

2 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

Just stating facts mate - only 4 were born in Ireland.

Out of intrest if being born in a country doesn't make you a citizen what does? What is the cut off age?

Is Widdop Australian as he spent a lot of his life in Oz?

Every situation is different and everybody is different, it's not up to me to enforce any criteria on national identity. 

John Aldrigde for instance did an interview with eir and he said "Liverpool is my city, Ireland is my country". You'll see this with a lot of PI players and islanders know this hence why they couldn't give a fiddlers where any of their players are born. Another example is; I read an interview with two famous all blacks; Keven Mealamu and Ma Nonu and they said they had always grown up dreaming of playing for the Manu Samoa despite never having set foot in the country.

My gripe with Ireland RL, is that they wanted desperately to be apart of this team GB farce, not that it's full of heritage players. I can imagine a lot of them boys are proud to play for Ireland.

51 minutes ago, Keith989 said:

Every situation is different and everybody is different, it's not up to me to enforce any criteria on national identity. 

John Aldrigde for instance did an interview with eir and he said "Liverpool is my city, Ireland is my country". You'll see this with a lot of PI players and islanders know this hence why they couldn't give a fiddlers where any of their players are born. Another example is; I read an interview with two famous all blacks; Keven Mealamu and Ma Nonu and they said they had always grown up dreaming of playing for the Manu Samoa despite never having set foot in the country.

My gripe with Ireland RL, is that they wanted desperately to be apart of this team GB farce, not that it's full of heritage players. I can imagine a lot of them boys are proud to play for Ireland.

Yes but I suppose it's ok for Irish RU to play for the RU lions and it's ok for them to choose NI (so British)players.

With Ireland RL now trying to promote local talent they will probably have a bigger % of True Irish players than the Irish Soccer team, the Irish RU team and probably the rock band - U2 ( half the band is English)...... or is it just the RL team that arnt allowed 100% none Irish players?

1 hour ago, Mr Frisky said:

Yes but I suppose it's ok for Irish RU to play for the RU lions and it's ok for them to choose NI (so British)players.

With Ireland RL now trying to promote local talent they will probably have a bigger % of True Irish players than the Irish Soccer team, the Irish RU team and probably the rock band - U2 ( half the band is English)...... or is it just the RL team that arnt allowed 100% none Irish players?

The British AND IRISH lions team in union is a completely different story to the GB lions team in league. I'm not sure what you mean in your second paragraph.

7 hours ago, Keith989 said:

The British AND IRISH lions team in union is a completely different story to the GB lions team in league. I'm not sure what you mean in your second paragraph.

I dont really know what you have been babbling on about anyway marra.

The GB RL team us officially called the British isles 13 so not sure what you are on about. As I said the Irish RU team is happy to pick British ( Northern Irish) players but when the RL team do that they get slated.

2 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

I dont really know what you have been babbling on about anyway marra.

The GB RL team us officially called the British isles 13 so not sure what you are on about. As I said the Irish RU team is happy to pick British ( Northern Irish) players but when the RL team do that they get slated.

If you think calling it the British isles 13 is any more appealing to us Irish, then you are truly deluded on the whole situation. I'm not even going to go into your second point.

2 hours ago, Keith989 said:

If you think calling it the British isles 13 is any more appealing to us Irish, then you are truly deluded on the whole situation. I'm not even going to go into your second point.

But your RU & Football teams are happy to use British players but not the RL team it would seem.

8 minutes ago, Keith989 said:

The RL team does use British players though... hence why Ireland is known as a heritage side.

Didn't Ireland put in a policy limiting the amount of heritage players they could use after the 2017 WC?

Or am I misremembering that

On 05/02/2020 at 12:03, Keith989 said:

Mick McCarthy is clearly English, but there should be a separate rule that anyone called "Mick McCarthy" is eligible for Ireland.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

19 hours ago, Bob8 said:

Mick McCarthy is clearly English, but there should be a separate rule that anyone called "Mick McCarthy" is eligible for Ireland.

Well. Yes.

"Australia is a spoiled nation. They can expect my revenge. I'm not crazy when I say this, they are the crazy ones who give you hot sausages before the match when it's 40 degrees celsius outside."

--------------------------

"Shifty Matty Petersen trying to get in there with a little five-fingered discount." Franklin Field, Philadelphia, 30/11/2004

FourthThird Second Best Statement Ever: Student Ram 02/06/2004 (Without a trace of irony): "... because, when you think about it, really... Wakefield is kind of the centre of the universe. You know, both ways, you've got..."

Followed by a half a minute justification of this point of view.

On 06/02/2020 at 09:05, Keith989 said:

Please explain Martin O'Neill being ROI manager. Please, do go on.

"Australia is a spoiled nation. They can expect my revenge. I'm not crazy when I say this, they are the crazy ones who give you hot sausages before the match when it's 40 degrees celsius outside."

"Shifty Matty Petersen trying to get in there with a little five-fingered discount." Franklin Field, Philadelphia, 30/11/2004

FourthThird Second Best Statement Ever: Student Ram 02/06/2004 (Without a trace of irony): "... because, when you think about it, really... Wakefield is kind of the centre of the universe. You know, both ways, you've got..."

10 minutes ago, Keith989 said:

What?????

I've read your posts above, yer not daft. You know the dynamics at play here. Go on. Explain y'self.

2 hours ago, Keith989 said:

I really have no idea what you're  asking?

I think we all understand what Cas Vegas is implying.

And, if that is true, I do not know how you can live with yourself.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Archived