So Canadians........

19 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

I'm not surprised- this is a thread about Canadians and you keep babbling on about the Irish for some reason. As a supposed RL fan you also seem to have a downer on the Irish RL team.

Aren't you a ray of sunshine. Have a nice night.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Keith989 said:

I really am lost...

With all the wit and historical awareness of a brexit negotiator, they’re implying that selecting players born in the six counties who are, as per the GFA, Irish with no qualification, is the same as selecting a player from Britain on the granny rule.

The fact that this was said by someone touting his Mayo ancestors a couple of pages ago is a perfect illustration of why you can have all the Irish “heritage” in the world and still not have a clue about Ireland.

4 minutes ago, damp squib said:

With all the wit and historical awareness of a brexit negotiator, they’re implying that selecting players born in the six counties who are, as per the GFA, Irish with no qualification, is the same as selecting a player from Britain on the granny rule.

The fact that this was said by someone touting his Mayo ancestors a couple of pages ago is a perfect illustration of why you can have all the Irish “heritage” in the world and still not have a clue about Ireland.

Oh no I got that don't worry. I was completely bewildered by this comment "Please explain Martin O'Neill being ROI manager. Please, do go on". I mean he does realize that you don't have to be Irish to be the manager? (not that MoN isn't a proud Irishman himself). 

41 minutes ago, Keith989 said:

Oh no I got that don't worry. I was completely bewildered by this comment "Please explain Martin O'Neill being ROI manager. Please, do go on". I mean he does realize that you don't have to be Irish to be the manager? (not that MoN isn't a proud Irishman himself). 

Here we go again.... Hes British!

He was born in the UK, played for UK clubs and played for one of the 4 UK home nations.

Always has been and always will be Btitish - just because you dont like it doesnt mean it's not true son.

16 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

He was born in the UK, played for UK clubs and played for one of the 4 UK home nations.

Always has been and always will be Btitish - just because you dont like it doesnt mean it's not true son.

Oh ok, so if your'e born in NI, that automatically makes you British. You better tell that to the likes of James McLean, Micheal Conlon, Shane Duffy, Paddy Barnes etc etc. You do realize that nationalists who consider themselves Irish play for NI too... Neil Lennon received death threats for playing for NI from his own fans, he also wears the tri colour on his tracksuit every week with Celtic; he's a proud Irishman, just like MoN. "Just because you dont like it doesnt mean it's not true son". It never fails to amaze me the ignorance that some Brits have towards the NI situation.  

10 minutes ago, Keith989 said:

Oh ok, so if your'e born in NI, that automatically makes you British. You better tell that to the likes of James McLean, Micheal Conlon, Shane Duffy, Paddy Barnes etc etc. You do realize that nationalists who consider themselves Irish play for NI too... Neil Lennon received death threats for playing for NI from his own fans, he also wears the tri colour on his tracksuit every week with Celtic; he's a proud Irishman, just like MoN. "Just because you dont like it doesnt mean it's not true son". It never fails to amaze me the ignorance that some Brits have towards the NI situation.  

Once again - this is a RL thread about Canadians on a UK RL forum.

If you want to talk about Irish history is there not some obscure web site you can go and wave your flags on?

Last word on this as you are obviously getting upset - 

- For the random names you pulled out of a (Leprechauns hat? ?) you say they consider them selfs.... I'm stating facts marra.

So in summary- 

- Martin O'neal was born in the UK

- He is British and he is even an OBE for goodness sake.

- none of the above will change just because you dont like it - amazes me how many Irish  nationals dont have a clue about British history and how ignorant they are to the make up of the British isles.

Now do you have any actual thoughts on Canadian RL?

23 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Once again - this is a RL thread about Canadians on a UK RL forum.

If you want to talk about Irish history is there not some obscure web site you can go and wave your flags on?

Last word on this as you are obviously getting upset - 

- For the random names you pulled out of a (Leprechauns hat? ?) you say they consider them selfs.... I'm stating facts marra.

So in summary- 

- Martin O'neal was born in the UK

- He is British and he is even an OBE for goodness sake.

- none of the above will change just because you dont like it - amazes me how many Irish  nationals dont have a clue about British history and how ignorant they are to the make up of the British isles.

Now do you have any actual thoughts on Canadian RL?

But your're the one who keeps bringing this up? I talked about it once on this thread (Ireland RL that is, not the nonsense you keep bringing up) left it for days and then you and (a couple of others replied) and keep replying. Forgive me for not being ignorant and replying to peoples comments.

You've then gone on about this rubbish, which you clearly have no clue about. Back to Canadian RL it is then.

2 minutes ago, Keith989 said:

But your're the one who keeps bringing this up? I talked about it once on this thread (Ireland RL that is, not the nonsense you keep bringing up) left it for days and then you and (a couple of others replied) and keep replying. Forgive me for not being ignorant and replying to peoples comments.

You've then gone on about this rubbish, which you clearly have no clue about. Back to Canadian RL it is then.

Calm down Keith  - apology accepted, no need to be embarrassedabout your lack of British Isles knowledge, and I'm sure you will get your OBE one day mate.

As the UK / Irish band U2 once said - Its a beautiful day.

So what do you want to say about Canadian RL?

Dont try to bring it back to Ireland - any thoughts on say - Quinn Ngawati??

8 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Calm down Keith  - apology accepted, no need to be embarrassedabout your lack of British Isles knowledge, and I'm sure you will get your OBE one day mate.

As the UK / Irish band U2 once said - Its a beautiful day.

So what do you want to say about Canadian RL?

Dont try to bring it back to Ireland - any thoughts on say - Quinn Ngawati??

Doesn't look like he'll make it in the big time does it?

5 hours ago, damp squib said:

I was actually just being silly. You are insulting me rather, but still giving me too much credit ?

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/02/2020 at 14:40, damp squib said:

There’s no point in engaging any more with that bigoted troll.

Someone's tired. ?

"Australia is a spoiled nation. They can expect my revenge. I'm not crazy when I say this, they are the crazy ones who give you hot sausages before the match when it's 40 degrees celsius outside."

--------------------------

"Shifty Matty Petersen trying to get in there with a little five-fingered discount." Franklin Field, Philadelphia, 30/11/2004

FourthThird Second Best Statement Ever: Student Ram 02/06/2004 (Without a trace of irony): "... because, when you think about it, really... Wakefield is kind of the centre of the universe. You know, both ways, you've got..."

Followed by a half a minute justification of this point of view.

On 08/02/2020 at 15:40, damp squib said:

I was referring to Cas Vegas.

You are too kind. I wish it were so. Sadly, due to my heritage, I have only the Saudis & Russians to pick on. Oh, & the Aussies too, obviously. Hate them, with their "winning at rugby ALL. THE. TIME. schtick". They make me sick.

"Australia is a spoiled nation. They can expect my revenge. I'm not crazy when I say this, they are the crazy ones who give you hot sausages before the match when it's 40 degrees celsius outside."

"Shifty Matty Petersen trying to get in there with a little five-fingered discount." Franklin Field, Philadelphia, 30/11/2004

FourthThird Second Best Statement Ever: Student Ram 02/06/2004 (Without a trace of irony): "... because, when you think about it, really... Wakefield is kind of the centre of the universe. You know, both ways, you've got..."

Followed by a half a minute justification of this point of view.

On 07/02/2020 at 21:19, Mr Frisky said:

I'm not surprised- this is a thread about Canadians and you keep babbling on about the Irish for some reason. As a supposed RL fan you also seem to have a downer on the Irish RL team.

How on earth did I miss this? 

He isn’t down on the “Irish” RL team, because there isn’t one to be down about. 

When “Ireland” vs Australia at the 2013 RLWC had 5k rattling around a 30k seater stadium in Limerick, and had zero media coverage, it did nothing for the game. That fixture would possibly have made a loss what with costs of hiring out the stadium, getting players there etc. I read an article about the game from an Australian paper (had to be Australian) with the editor stating it was disrespectful for Aussie players to have to play in such an environment. Those Aussie players (in both sides), imagine how they felt playing in that. Adulation at home, then rock up to this in what is the main event of the sport. There are pros and cons to heritage sides, this game was in the latter camp. 

On 08/02/2020 at 10:45, Mr Frisky said:

I was born in Norn Iron, a manufactured state with an arbitrary line drawn across six counties (my own almost didn’t make it in) as the six combined had a Protestant majority. A Protestant state for a Protestant people...it’s a farce of a set up. While I’m Irish, I’m neither nationalist nor unionist (tribal politics do not interest me), so not recognising what is a manufactured state is not due to any political allegiances, rather just basic common sense. 

On 08/02/2020 at 10:58, Keith989 said:

One of the most disgraceful acts (and there were many of those) to come out of the bigoted cauldron of hate that is (was, in fairness) Windsor park. The commentator Jackie Fullerton did his best to try and gloss over the boos directed at Lennon...we heard them Fullerton. The only thing worse I seen was Billy the bigot Bingham (former Norn Iron manager) inciting the crowd only weeks after the greysteel shooting during the norn iron vs Republic of Ireland World Cup qualifier...the devastated look on his face after McLoughlin scored to ensure the Republic qualified was one of the sweetest in sport.

So, on the point of who to support in the RLWC, in the case of Irish people a team with some Irish identity would have generated some interest. That should be the goal of the sport to develop those players. Even the Irish cricket team generates a modicum of interest due to having an Irish identity.

Archived