connor mcgregor

2 hours ago, aj1908 said:

Was sort of a fan until he punched that old man in the pub. Any small amount of respect for him left after that.

1 hour ago, Click said:

Was sort of a fan until he punched that old man in the pub. Any small amount of respect for him left after that.

3 hours ago, aj1908 said:

I'll foight him forra foiver.

"Australia is a spoiled nation. They can expect my revenge. I'm not crazy when I say this, they are the crazy ones who give you hot sausages before the match when it's 40 degrees celsius outside."

--------------------------

"Shifty Matty Petersen trying to get in there with a little five-fingered discount." Franklin Field, Philadelphia, 30/11/2004

FourthThird Second Best Statement Ever: Student Ram 02/06/2004 (Without a trace of irony): "... because, when you think about it, really... Wakefield is kind of the centre of the universe. You know, both ways, you've got..."

Followed by a half a minute justification of this point of view.

2 hours ago, Click said:

trouble is the tracksuited , uncouth youth of today look up to these sort of people

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

7 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Know nowt about his sport but he seems a thug and not very nice character at all . 

I'd agree. A charmless oaf with no class at all.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Can't stand the guy. I was one of the few hoping Mayweather sparked him out. 

He epitomises a certain culture, much of it online, where being a pr*ck is celebrated.

I often say that much of his popularity is because he's Irish and everyone loves the Irish. As someone more familiar with the Irish than most Brits, he represents a certain type of Dub.

If he was a proper scally scouser I doubt people would find him quite so charming. 

Yes I love boxing , but I don’t like the boxers who are in a similar vein . Many seem to think this sort of attention seeking foul mouthed misbehaving persona is something you do or is part of the package , but I just find it irritating and cretinous . Just as irritating are the apologists and sycophants in the sport who excuse it and laud it as it ‘sells’ the occasion . I don’t think it does boxing any good ... Some of the things wilder says , or a total scumbag like Broner . You can be class and be classy , surely? You may not be the most educated but some of the antics and language in a sport where people can be killed and seriously hurt is just out of order 

3 hours ago, Click said:

I'm from London, I don't speak Northern - sorry !

I'm speaking Traveller, y'numpty. Done all me exams n everything.*

*everyting.

"Australia is a spoiled nation. They can expect my revenge. I'm not crazy when I say this, they are the crazy ones who give you hot sausages before the match when it's 40 degrees celsius outside."

"Shifty Matty Petersen trying to get in there with a little five-fingered discount." Franklin Field, Philadelphia, 30/11/2004

FourthThird Second Best Statement Ever: Student Ram 02/06/2004 (Without a trace of irony): "... because, when you think about it, really... Wakefield is kind of the centre of the universe. You know, both ways, you've got..."

14 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Can't stand the guy. I was one of the few hoping Mayweather sparked him out. 

He epitomises a certain culture, much of it online, where being a pr*ck is celebrated.

I often say that much of his popularity is because he's Irish and everyone loves the Irish. As someone more familiar with the Irish than most Brits, he represents a certain type of Dub.

If he was a proper scally scouser I doubt people would find him quite so charming. 

Mayweather took it easy with him and could have taken him out any time after the first round.

There is talk of him wanting to fight Manny Pacquiao. Well for sure Pacquiao wont hold back on him and Pacquiao would seriously hurt him

2 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

Hes an incredible athelete who has made his family millions. Good luck to him

That’s not mutually exclusive from being a cretinous individual , as many top sportspeople have showed before 

36 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

Well, the traits that you would deem are cretinous have helped make those millions. 

The fact we have a society where making millions is the only barometer of worth says a lot for why our society is like it is.

When McGregor and those like him started doing their thing (being brash and offensive with nothing being off-limits), I think there was an unwritten understanding that it was supposed to be partly comedic.

However, this has morphed over the years into people being horrible on purpose and then thinking it's hilarious to watch how upset the other side get. It's rampant online. I'm not by any means blaming McGregor for the faults of society but he is venerated by many of these people. 

2 hours ago, The Future is League said:

Mayweather took it easy with him and could have taken him out any time after the first round.

There is talk of him wanting to fight Manny Pacquiao. Well for sure Pacquiao wont hold back on him and Pacquiao would seriously hurt him

Looking back, Mayweather was a very clever choice. Huge name, physically much smaller, in retirement and not a big puncher. I do think Mayweather took it easy, especially when he didn't throw punches for 2/3 rounds.

He could've been very quickly embarrassed by a Canelo or GGG. 

15 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

The fact we have a society where making millions is the only barometer of worth says a lot for why our society is like it is.

When McGregor and those like him started doing their thing (being brash and offensive with nothing being off-limits), I think there was an unwritten understanding that it was supposed to be partly comedic.

However, this has morphed over the years into people being horrible on purpose and then thinking it's hilarious to watch how upset the other side get. It's rampant online. I'm not by any means blaming McGregor for the faults of society but he is venerated by many of these people. 

I dont disagree with your commentary, i just find it odd that theres so much vitriol for a bloke who is playing a vilian to make look after himself and his family.  Fair play to him.

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

Hes not.scared to take a loss.

Let mayweather try a return bout under UFC.rules.

He held .belts in two weight classes

If he gets his motivation back a.fight with khabib would.be interesting 

And khabib was responsible.for starting the brawl.with macgregor 

21 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

Hes not.scared to take a loss.

Let mayweather try a return bout under UFC.rules.

He held .belts in two weight classes

If he gets his motivation back a.fight with khabib would.be interesting 

And khabib was responsible.for starting the brawl.with macgregor 

Well said. Y'man Mcgregor is no boxer (otherwise, he would have taken that option). That fight with Mayweather should have been under the crazy cage-fighting rules. I'd have paid for the whole event myself.

PS Don't like Mayweather. Ducked a fight with Pacquiao for years until he'd gotten too old. "The Money"? Fuc/< Off. And keeping doing so. Grrrrr.

2 minutes ago, Cas Vegas said:

Well said. Y'man Mcgregor is no boxer (otherwise, he would have taken that option). That fight with Mayweather should have been under the crazy cage-fighting rules. I'd have paid for the whole event myself.

PS Don't like Mayweather. Ducked a fight with Pacquiao for years until he'd gotten too old. "The Money"? Fuc/< Off. And keeping doing so. Grrrrr.

The last fight he had with Pac man I thought he won.  Mayweather didn't do anything 

5 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

The last fight he had with Pac man I thought he won.  Mayweather didn't do anything 

Totally. I'd fancy my chances with "The Money". Pac Man? Well, I'd probably end up like this;

10 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

Clinical and deadly.  Wow 

Oh. Yeah.

Edit: Needed more gravitas;

Archived