Toronto’s squad

I’m a big fan of Toronto. I had a great weekend out there a few years ago and met some fantastic  people. 

They’ve just announced their squad numbers. I can’t help but feel, with this current crop of players, they are favourites for relegation. This squad is full of players past their best and players who have struggled at the top level. Yes the signing of SBW has been amazing and helped the marketing side of things but they haven’t signed the SBW of ten years ago. There’s a few good players in that squad but, if I were a Toronto fan, I’d be extremely worried. A squad lacking in both numbers and quality.

Surely they need a few more proven top level players? 

D0D3DF63-66E1-43FC-B334-EF0AB87557C0.jpeg

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I said in the Super League prediction thread that they are my favourites for relegation (favourites as in most likely, I would love them to stay up).

People say they are carrying a Super League quality squad through from last year but I think beyond one or two very good players they have an inherent lack of quality across the board.

Second from bottom and the chance to consolidate and grow would be a good season, anything better would be a great result.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I said in the Super League prediction thread that they are my favourites for relegation (favourites as in most likely, I would love them to stay up).

People say they are carrying a Super League quality squad through from last year but I think beyond one or two very good players they have an inherent lack of quality across the board.

Second from bottom and the chance to consolidate and grow would be a good season, anything better would be a great result.

Yeah I would echo the above and also add when I looked into the strength of the interchange bench of each team, IMO they have the weakest options in SL currently. All that said, I don't think all the money and effort that has been expended up to now is going to be allowed to go to waste by not making a couple more key additions that could make all the difference. I'm sure we'll see a couple more come in over the coming weeks. 

There's still time for a signing or three.

And if not, remember the confident predictions for Salford's chances before the 2019 season.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, Futtocks said:

There's still time for a signing or three.

And if not, remember the confident predictions for Salford's chances before the 2019 season.

Yeah I must say I don't look at that squad and think they're any worse off than Wakefield, Huddersfield, Salford or KR. Decent backs, average halves, solid pack and bench.

The slim nature will mean managing injuries will be paramount however. It will also be interesting to see who they are targeting to improve the squad going forwards.

I think KR look slightly weaker on paper especially after their two recent injuries. Toronto's spine doesn't inspire confidence. Their best player is also a centre which in the modern game isn't the most influential position - he was a bit inconsistent when I saw him last year as well. A lot is riding on how well SBW goes.

At this stage these are just predictions though and as we saw last year anything can happen.

I'm not sure Toronto will be making many mid-season signings (especially big names) as they have said they are close to the cap limit. Player swaps or Union players would be their best bet but I wouldn't hang their season on those.

It looks a good first team to me. I suspect that they won't line up as the numbers suggest, especially in the pack. I could see them challenging for a playoff spot with that team.

However I'm not sure that they have the strength in depth, and barely even any depth to speak of. A lot will depend on injuries and how they recover with the travelling.

Solid enough to make a decent fist of things but on paper it looks like they'll be in the mix with the likes of Wakey, Hudds, Rovers. They have McDermott too which I think will work in their favour.

Surprised they haven't looked to loan a couple from Saints/Wigan/Leeds to give them a bit more depth.

A 23 man squad is very shallow indeed. It is far from unheard of that a side has six players injured at once. If that occurred, this would leave them very short, especially as they don't have an academy to fall back on.

Toronto play last year's top 5 away from home (or in the UK at least) in the first 5 weeks, which a really tough start and with a shallow squad, they are likely to be playing catch up from the get-go.

It would be a surprise to see them avoid a relegation battle and survival would be a huge success.

I think it is important that they make Lamport a fortress, as I think the squad does have some limitations. But if they can win the majority of their home games, then they are halfway there. 

I think they will need to make a couple of signings during the year. 

What is with all the doom and gloom on here....CHEER UP!!!  THE FUTURE IS BRIGHT FOR TWP!!!!!

Everything will work out...everything will be okay...believe in the Rugby Gods.

6 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

What is with all the doom and gloom on here....CHEER UP!!!  THE FUTURE IS BRIGHT FOR TWP!!!!!

Everything will work out...everything will be okay...believe in the Rugby Gods.

It will become apparent very quickly that, to be brutally honest, you suck.

A consequence of using a sledgehammer to crack the League 1 and Championship nuts, perhaps.

This is the first time I have had a proper look at what they have at their disposal and I have to say its not a good squad. 

The one stand out name in there is Sonny Bill, but even he is a bit of an unknown at the minute. He's in his mid 30's now and hasn't played league for a few years. Class is permenant, and I'm pretty sure he will do well, but I wouldn't put money on it. 

There are others players in there I like. But then plenty of others are past it or never really had it to begin with. 

If you were naming the 10 best SL players in each position how many of those guys would feature? 3? 4?

And that's without mentioning the lack of depth. Most teams will use close to 30 players in a season. I'm sure they will sign a couple more guys and pick up a few loans if they need them, but it's not an ideal situation to be in. 

They do have a coach that I think will get the best out of what he has, and their home advantage probably counts for more than anyone else's. That might just be enough to see them survive. But purely going by the squad on paper they look at risk to me. 

Kayakman. I aren't always right (not by a long shot! ), but I like to think I know a fair amount about RL and if that was Hull's squad I would really have concerns. I want Toronto to do well, but that's just the way I see it.

If you genuinely think that's a side that can potentially reach the playoffs then I would be interested in seeing you break that squad down a bit. Who do you think will excel in SL? Are there any weak areas that you are concerned about? Where do you think you will have an edge over the sides you need to finish above? 

I love your enthusiasm for the game and for the Wolfpack, but I don't often see any proper insight into what you think, so I'm interested in your thoughts. 

Archived