Toronto’s squad

Squad looks weak and assuming the starting team is something like. 

1/ O’Brien

2/ Russell

3/ Luetele

4/ Stanley

5/ Kay

6/ Mellor

7/ McCrone

8/ Lussick

9/ Cunningham

10/ Sidlow

11/ SBW

12/ Dixon

13/ Wilkin

14/ Mullally

15/ Singleton

16/ Thompson 

17/ Ackers 

Which is a bottom end of the table team but the big worry for me is after that apart from Wallace there isn’t much quality left. 

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope that they have a few signings to announce, it looks at least 5/6 short. For a thin squad they are carrying 3 players with injury history(Wheeler, Mellor, Kay) and SBW is likely to miss a few due to age. Without some recruitment they are basically relying on the cleanest bill of health in superleague history. 

It's a bit worrying that the preseason update video released on twitter today seemed to focus on reducing field training to avoid injuries.

1 hour ago, MZH said:

Kayakman. I aren't always right (not by a long shot! ), but I like to think I know a fair amount about RL and if that was Hull's squad I would really have concerns. I want Toronto to do well, but that's just the way I see it.

If you genuinely think that's a side that can potentially reach the playoffs then I would be interested in seeing you break that squad down a bit. Who do you think will excel in SL? Are there any weak areas that you are concerned about? Where do you think you will have an edge over the sides you need to finish above? 

I love your enthusiasm for the game and for the Wolfpack, but I don't often see any proper insight into what you think, so I'm interested in your thoughts. 

Well I've been doing that for awhile on the TWP page and I'm about 1/3 of the way through...go have a look see old buddy.

Well, we will get a taste this weekend - let's see how they do Vs cas this weekend before we make any judgements either way.

I'm hopefull - It'll be an interesting season

2 hours ago, MZH said:

Kayakman. I aren't always right (not by a long shot! ), but I like to think I know a fair amount about RL and if that was Hull's squad I would really have concerns. I want Toronto to do well, but that's just the way I see it.

If you genuinely think that's a side that can potentially reach the playoffs then I would be interested in seeing you break that squad down a bit. Who do you think will excel in SL? Are there any weak areas that you are concerned about? Where do you think you will have an edge over the sides you need to finish above? 

I love your enthusiasm for the game and for the Wolfpack, but I don't often see any proper insight into what you think, so I'm interested in your thoughts. 

They should have at least tried to get Simms to do 1 more season to help steady the ship - saying that halfbacks are usually key to any RL team.

2 hours ago, bobbruce said:

Squad looks weak and assuming the starting team is something like. 

1/ O’Brien

2/ Russell

3/ Luetele

4/ Stanley

5/ Kay

6/ Mellor

7/ McCrone

8/ Lussick

9/ Cunningham

10/ Sidlow

11/ SBW

12/ Dixon

13/ Wilkin

14/ Mullally

15/ Singleton

16/ Thompson 

17/ Ackers 

Which is a bottom end of the table team but the big worry for me is after that apart from Wallace there isn’t much quality left. 

That really isn't a poor set of forwards. They will hold their own against a great many others.

It ain't Saints, admittedly, but there are half a dozen teams I'd rank lower up front.

20 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

They should have at least tried to get Simms to do 1 more season to help steady the ship - saying that halfbacks are usually key to any RL team.

Simms was done Frisky...every wolf has its day.  The halfbacks are just fine...TWP has the best dual centers in the SL (they will open up a few eyes let me tell ya).   And I'm talking defence here at center also!

The wingers are both of good pace and, seeing that they play off of such quality centers, will score often. They have a more than adequate back attack with O'Brien at fullback.

13 minutes ago, absentee thoughtlord said:

That really isn't a poor set of forwards. They will hold their own against a great many others.

It ain't Saints, admittedly, but there are half a dozen teams I'd rank lower up front.

Correct.   So with the nice Pack and strong backs they are well on their way.   Throw in Sonny Bill (who some lunatics on here seem to question) who will have an outstanding season along with Leutele, and Toronto has a good chance at Top 5.

Weakness is team depth is a bit thin.

9 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Would love it if David Argyle whipped out his chequebook and signed Owen Farrell from Saracens under the ‘new talent’ dispensation. Do it, David, you know it makes sense!

We are very strong in that position already but HEY!...ya never know with a wolf.

5 minutes ago, burnleywelsh said:

Is the Huddersfield squad any stronger than TWP, or Wakefield or HKR .? Just asking !!

I don't think they are...but we are soon going to find out.

Over here in NA we don't do these wholesale changes you folks over there are so fond of.  We build a club from the bottom up and the guys who perform get promoted, not traded like over there.

This will prove which system is better, ours or yours.  We will beat those teams you mention this season and others also

We will win because the hockey system we have is better than your system.

I'll be very interested to see the result of the combination of the small number of players on the Wolfpack and the effects of travel on the visiting teams.  We've been told that it's somehow an 'unfair advantage' for Toronto when other teams fly in to play (despite the Wolfpack doing the trans-Atlantic flight and playing a game right after more than any other team in the league), so this could be quite revealing.

8 hours ago, Kayakman said:

I don't think they are...but we are soon going to find out.

Over here in NA we don't do these wholesale changes you folks over there are so fond of.  We build a club from the bottom up and the guys who perform get promoted, not traded like over there.

This will prove which system is better, ours or yours.  We will beat those teams you mention this season and others also

We will win because the hockey system we have is better than your system.

I'm normally willing to defend TWP but that is utter nonsense.

11 hours ago, Kayakman said:

Well I've been doing that for awhile on the TWP page and I'm about 1/3 of the way through...go have a look see old buddy.

Just had a read of that. I don't tend to venture onto any of the individual club forums on here. 

You are nothing if not positive Kman. So far the thread could be summed up in two words: everybody's great. ?

12 hours ago, absentee thoughtlord said:

You mentioned Wire as having a poorer set of forwards, but I don't see that at all. I'm not sure I would take any of those players ahead of Wire's first choice, SBW apart, but with Currie and Hughes we don't have an issue in the 2nd row and with Murdoch-Masilla at 13 we have strike power there. 

No disrespect to those players, but half of the pack is made up of Cunningham, Dixon and Wilkin, that ain't gonna worry too many teams. Wire's equivalent three are Daryl Clark, Ben Currie (or Jack Hughes) and Masilla. 

3 hours ago, nmew said:

I'll be very interested to see the result of the combination of the small number of players on the Wolfpack and the effects of travel on the visiting teams.  We've been told that it's somehow an 'unfair advantage' for Toronto when other teams fly in to play (despite the Wolfpack doing the trans-Atlantic flight and playing a game right after more than any other team in the league), so this could be quite revealing.

That issue ain't being represented correctly though. Over the whole season of course travel will be a drain on a team based in Canada. But you know that when you apply to join a UK based league. 

The bit that your point ignores is that for a lot of games TWPs opposition will have had a long journey a couple of days prior to the game that TWP won't have had. They need to make sure they capitalise on that and are better prepared and fresher than their opposition. 

Archived