Toronto’s squad

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Dave T said:

You mentioned Wire as having a poorer set of forwards, but I don't see that at all. I'm not sure I would take any of those players ahead of Wire's first choice, SBW apart, but with Currie and Hughes we don't have an issue in the 2nd row and with Murdoch-Masilla at 13 we have strike power there. 

No disrespect to those players, but half of the pack is made up of Cunningham, Dixon and Wilkin, that ain't gonna worry too many teams. Wire's equivalent three are Daryl Clark, Ben Currie (or Jack Hughes) and Masilla. 

I'm a big fan of Akauola. Clarke is outstanding, too. And if his knee doesn't go, there are few more devastating runners than BMM. But, I just don't rate the props as highly. Second row is middling - I feel for Ben Currie because I don't think he's ever fully got over the injury.

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I hope so haha

Not at all.....since our inception in League 1 we have kept a core group of players as we moved up divisions....not wholesale changes but some change.   If an AHL team got promoted to NHL they would keep their core group and give the lads a go and supplement with some big trades...just like the Wolfpack have done.

Our players will be given a legit chance to show they belong....this is our hockey way/culture...I believe it is the proper way forward....

....we shall all soon see if the hockey path is better than the traditional rugby league path....as Canadians we believe in following the way of the paddle and the path of the puck.

Puck.webp

2 hours ago, MZH said:

Just had a read of that. I don't tend to venture onto any of the individual club forums on here. 

You are nothing if not positive Kman. So far the thread could be summed up in two words: everybody's great. ?

Not only is everybody great but everything is good!  This doom and gloom that surrounds RL is sort of funny but sad too......life ain't so bad!   The sun will shine, things will get better...all is good.

5 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Not at all.....since our inception in League 1 we have kept a core group of players as we moved up divisions....not wholesale changes but some change.   If an AHL team got promoted to NHL they would keep their core group and give the lads a go and supplement with some big trades...just like the Wolfpack have done.

Our players will be given a legit chance to show they belong....this is our hockey way/culture...I believe it is the proper way forward....

....we shall all soon see if the hockey path is better than the traditional rugby league path....as Canadians we believe in following the way of the paddle and the path of the puck.

Puck.webp 14.66 kB · 2 downloads

This is exactly the same way as any sport in this country is with promotion to another division. Its not unique or ingenious - and without an academy it can't be argued as "promoting from within" can it? 

When London came up last season they didn't sign loads of players, when teams come up from the championship in football they tend not to sign loads of players only picking specific areas which they need to improve on. 

Equally it has to be said you're team was recruited on a SL budget (with players from SL), so they're going to a league that most of them have played in in the past 2 years? Why would they get rid of most of them?

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

This is exactly the same way as any sport in this country is with promotion to another division. Its not unique or ingenious - and without an academy it can't be argued as "promoting from within" can it? 

When London came up last season they didn't sign loads of players, when teams come up from the championship in football they tend not to sign loads of players only picking specific areas which they need to improve on. 

Equally it has to be said you're team was recruited on a SL budget (with players from SL), so they're going to a league that most of them have played in in the past 2 years? Why would they get rid of most of them?

Exactly...and we will continue our unique developmental hockey based system...it is working for us.  The other clubs should take notice.

WE ARE COMING FOR YA!

22 minutes ago, absentee thoughtlord said:

I'm a big fan of Akauola. Clarke is outstanding, too. And if his knee doesn't go, there are few more devastating runners than BMM. But, I just don't rate the props as highly. Second row is middling - I feel for Ben Currie because I don't think he's ever fully got over the injury.

I do have some concerns over whether Currie will ever reach the levels he should due to injury, but as much as people don't like Hill, his work is still of a very high level, and Cooper is still very very good. Once you bring Akauola and Philbin off the bench you get a bit of impact. I think we need to buy another forward and that was part of the plan, and I ain't a massive fan of Jason Clarke but overall we have a decent pack that is comfortably top 5 IMHO. 

$BW has a lot of pressure on him to be a game winner.

Not sure if it will work out, the WP have paid MASSIVE overs for him.

They would have been far better off with Maloney and Mitchell for far less money.

$BW...... nah

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

3 minutes ago, Allora said:

They would have been far better off with Maloney and Mitchell for far less money.

$BW...... nah

I suppose we will see if new partners come on board as wasn't this meant to bring the commercial dollar to TWP? There is talk of a TV deal now maybe that had had an impact. 

So far they haven't announced new partners that I have seen. 

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

I do have some concerns over whether Currie will ever reach the levels he should due to injury, but as much as people don't like Hill, his work is still of a very high level, and Cooper is still very very good. Once you bring Akauola and Philbin off the bench you get a bit of impact. I think we need to buy another forward and that was part of the plan, and I ain't a massive fan of Jason Clarke but overall we have a decent pack that is comfortably top 5 IMHO. 

Wire have a very good pack.

It's when you look at the likes of Warrington and say they are a top 5 team that you see how much of a stretch it is when people say Toronto are a shot for the 5.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

5 minutes ago, Allora said:

$BW...... nah

Sonny Bill will produce....SB is the real deal.....after all he has done I can't believe some still doubt him.....Sonny Bill will be the star of the Super League this year.

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I suppose we will see if new partners come on board as wasn't this meant to bring the commercial dollar to TWP? There is talk of a TV deal now maybe that had had an impact. 

So far they haven't announced new partners that I have seen. 

You are not listening properly....you look but you do not see....you are like a novitiate in the woods.

Listen!.....Look closely!  Its coming.

15 minutes ago, Allora said:

$BW...... nah

Even though that's true sbw will still tear up super league 

They got him more marketing anyway 

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I recall a Wire fan called Wendall on here a few years back. 

He made Warrington very unpopular on these boards with his posts. 

Not sure why he has come into my head recently. 

Listen...look...learn.  Let go of the old grudges...a new dawn is coming....put on your sunglasses and sunscreen.

4 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Listen...look...learn.  Let go of the old grudges...a new dawn is coming....put on your sunglasses and sunscreen.

The man of steel winner last year struggled to make.it in the nrl and certainly wouldn't get a starting spot in the halves 

Sbw would've been taken back.by the.roosters if not for.your large offer if he felt like.the.challenge 

He won't want to ruin his legacy 

Inury is the only worry he will be a star once he has match fitness 

46 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

McDermott was given a 5 year contract like we give hockey coaches over here....we will see soon whose model works best.

Just now, Kayakman said:

McDermott was given a 5 year contract like we give hockey coaches over here....we will see soon whose model works best.

He was given a unlimited rolling contract at Leeds, you're not showing enough faith!

4 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

The man of steel winner last year struggled to make.it in the nrl and certainly wouldn't get a starting spot in the halves

This is a myth. Hastings was on the path to being a very good NRL player.... Australian Schoolboys, Junior Kangaroos and Origin Under 20's.

He made enough starts in the NRL to show he could make it... his downfall was off field matters.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

5 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

This is a myth. Hastings was on the path to being a very good NRL player.... Australian Schoolboys, Junior Kangaroos and Origin Under 20's.

He made enough starts in the NRL to show he could make it... his downfall was off field matters.

Not as a starting half back he couldn't.

He was just ok in the nrl.

He changed sides at least 3 times.  Had problems at two.

Sbw was a master in the nrl.

Once.sbw starts playing everyone is going to remember how good he is.

No doubt about what a good signing he is.

3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

He was given a unlimited rolling contract at Leeds, you're not showing enough faith!

In hockey no one is given such an abortion....our hockey system, which we have instituted with the Wolfpack,  is better.....you will see.

If he was given an 'unlimited rolling contract'  then why is he no longer at Leeds? This is not our Canadian way....we will soon be showing you how it is done.  My only concern is that it is going to be hard on Dave....please keep an eye on him Tommy as things unfold...support him in his time of need.

34 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

You are not listening properly....you look but you do not see....you are like a novitiate in the woods.

Listen!.....Look closely!  Its coming.

We’re listening ... but although you’re talking you’re not saying anything . I know big talk is very North American but a lot more substance is needed now 

Just now, DavidM said:

We’re listening ... but although you’re talking you’re not saying anything . I know big talk is very North American but a lot more substance is needed now 

Patience...patience...its coming.

32 minutes ago, aj1908 said:

Even though that's true sbw will still tear up super league 

They got him more marketing anyway 

He is on the slide at his age.

Buying a player in his prime is one thing, signing a 34 year to play in a more physical code he has not played for some time for stupid money is something else.

What marketing returns will they get? A winning team would deliver better marketing IMO

$BW has always chased the money.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Archived