Remembering 1986 Third Test v Australia

rlno1

How Gt Britain were robbed.

The match turning "try" in this test by Shearer was infact preceded by a blatant incorrect play the ball by Australia which should have been ruled on and the try never allowed.

You can see here at 42min 48sec, Lindner blatantly drops the ball and Australia score two tackles later that turns the momentum of the test.

Also one of the best passing tries to open a tight defence I have seen by Schofield in the 2nd half, brilliant.

I was at this game. Absolutely full of some of my favourite players of all time... Lewis, Ward, Myler, Miles, Sterling, Kenny and so many more.

I will say again, I loved the game in the 1980's and if I am perfectly honest overall more than I do now but I am sure a fair part of that is nostalgic. 

I go a few months between watching this video and in that time I remember the great players and the great tries and I forget the unbelievable number of handling errors from both sides... if we saw that many knock on's in a Super League game we would be lambasting how poor the modern game is!

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Tony Myler was utterly brilliant. I used to love it when he got injured as it stopped the best club side I've ever seen from winning even more trophies. As a kid I hated Widniz.

Myler was sublime.

PS Good shout out for the others (particularly Kevin Ward, obvs ? ), too.

"Australia is a spoiled nation. They can expect my revenge. I'm not crazy when I say this, they are the crazy ones who give you hot sausages before the match when it's 40 degrees celsius outside."

--------------------------

"Shifty Matty Petersen trying to get in there with a little five-fingered discount." Franklin Field, Philadelphia, 30/11/2004

--------------------------

FourthThird Second Best Statement Ever: Student Ram 02/06/2004 (Without a trace of irony): "... because, when you think about it, really... Wakefield is kind of the centre of the universe. You know, both ways, you've got..."

Followed by a half a minute justification of this point of view.

That Ashes series emphasised once again just how good a try scorer Garry Schofield was.

The Australians won the series 0-3 with an aggregate score of 35-96 and outscored us 17 tries to 6 and yet despite all of this Schofield ended up joint top try scorer for the series (along with Gene Miles and Michael O'Connor) with 4 and was the only player to score in all three matches.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

11 hours ago, Dunbar said:

That Ashes series emphasised once again just how good a try scorer Garry Schofield was.

The Australians won the series 0-3 with an aggregate score of 35-96 and outscored us 17 tries to 6 and yet despite all of this Schofield ended up joint top try scorer for the series (along with Gene Miles and Michael O'Connor) with 4 and was the only player to score in all three matches.

Fine player.

On 17/01/2020 at 22:14, rlno1 said:

How Gt Britain were robbed.

The match turning "try" in this test by Shearer was infact preceded by a blatant incorrect play the ball by Australia which should have been ruled on and the try never allowed.

You can see here at 42min 48sec, Lindner blatantly drops the ball and Australia score two tackles later that turns the momentum of the test.

Also one of the best passing tries to open a tight defence I have seen by Schofield in the 2nd half, brilliant.

Can't argue with your points ?

Years ago someone claimed that Wally Lewis' try came on the 'seventh tackle' : I have never checked.

8 hours ago, Wigan Riversider said:

Can't argue with your points ?

Years ago someone claimed that Wally Lewis' try came on the 'seventh tackle' : I have never checked.

That's what my little coterie thought at the time. My thought was that the Aussies were on the cusp of losing and Lewis pulled them up by his bootstraps. Then... ######!

On 18/01/2020 at 09:09, Wigan Riversider said:

Wigan announced the signing of Wally Lewis on £2000 per game for 7 matches immediately afterwards. Ellery Hanley was by all accounts very unhappy.

King Wally never arrived.

I still have a copy of the wigan fanzine - "wally lewis isn't coming"

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Remember the game, and the 1/2  pint of beer that somebody threw in the air and finished down the back of my neck on the side opposite the Douglas Stand. As usual, by fair means or foul the Aussies found a way to win in the end, reoccurring theme when they don't thrash us over the years☹️

I know those days will never return but all the errors and turnovers, plus the incomparable reffing of Monsieur Rascagneres certainly made for an exciting match. And lots of passing, running from depth. Forgotten what a mess the scrums were and how hgh shots were mostly ignored, but a great game to watch.

On 22/01/2020 at 09:28, Wigan Riversider said:

It was on the 7th tackle ?

Indeed it was, never ever mentioned by the Aussie press, funny that.

The tackles were:

No 1 - Dowling

No 2 - Jack

No 3 - Meninga

No 4 - Sterling

No 5 - Shearer

No 6 - Shearer again

No 7 - Lewis scores!!!

Can see it on video from 51:31min

3 hours ago, rlno1 said:

Indeed it was, never ever mentioned by the Aussie press, funny that.

The tackles were:

No 1 - Dowling

No 2 - Jack

No 3 - Meninga

No 4 - Sterling

No 5 - Shearer

No 6 - Shearer again

No 7 - Lewis scores!!!

Can see it on video from 51:31min

The set was after a turnover. Maybe referee Rascagneres was ahead of his time and unilaterally invented the zero tackle 30 years early.

• 1 year later...
On 18/01/2020 at 08:26, Dunbar said:

I was at this game. Absolutely full of some of my favourite players of all time... Lewis, Ward, Myler, Miles, Sterling, Kenny and so many more.

I will say again, I loved the game in the 1980's and if I am perfectly honest overall more than I do now but I am sure a fair part of that is nostalgic. 

I go a few months between watching this video and in that time I remember the great players and the great tries and I forget the unbelievable number of handling errors from both sides... if we saw that many knock on's in a Super League game we would be lambasting how poor the modern game is!

I was there too, in fact went all three tests and at least a couple of club games 

Archived